Menu

Holiday Craft Projects

mumto2

I actually made these reusable gift bags last year, but decided to share anyway. Each kid choose a fabric from which I made a large and small gift bag. The drawstring is grosgrain ribbon. I printed Christmasy labels representing something each family member likes on business card stock and then laminated them. 

It makes wrapping so much easier and I don’t feel so guilty about the trash we accumulate. Although we don’t do Santa, I still set the presents out from us on Christmas Eve so once everything is “wrapped” they go back in a box in my closet. 

The bigger bear bag is mine from when I was a kid. My mom and Grandma made one for each kid, they were huge. We would just pull out one present at a time and were on the honor system not to peek (not too hard since my parents tended not to shop until Christmas eve). 

3DA958E9-C0D9-4121-AD42-29602CC1D01D.jpeg

98F77ECC-C156-46EB-B56F-2F40DD017445.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Rachel said:

I actually made these reusable gift bags last year, but decided to share anyway. Each kid choose a fabric from which I made a large and small gift bag. The drawstring is grosgrain ribbon. I printed Christmasy labels representing something each family member likes on business card stock and then laminated them. 

It makes wrapping so much easier and I don’t feel so guilty about the trash we accumulate. Although we don’t do Santa, I still set the presents out from us on Christmas Eve so once everything is “wrapped” they go back in a box in my closet. 

Nice! We started doing reusable fabric bags a good many years ago, and I, too, love how little trash we generate each Christmas. Even with packaging on the actual gifts, as a family of four we can often end up with one grocery-type plastic bag going in the trash.

• Like 4

I finished tie for my son today. This was actually my second attempt, because the first one ended up messy. I think the problem was something to do with the lining fabric I used, because today's effort, with a slightly heavier, less stretchy lining, went much more smoothly.

(Please ignore the paint-spattered backdrop. I snapped the photo of the tie on my craft table.)

Tie.jpg

Still to do/finish:

• Finish the crocheted alpaca amigurumi for my daughter. 
  • Finish the crocheted headband/ear warmer for a friend.
  • Sew the dice bag for my son.
  • Sew mini-stockings for my daughter and her partner.

I'm hoping to knock out the alpaca and the ear warmer tonight, since both are not too far from done and I will be spending the remainder of the evening hanging out in my craft room while my husband hosts his gaming buddies at the dining table. And, if all goes well, I might be able to at least start the dice bag tomorrow during open lab time in the sewing studio at work.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I finished tie for my son today. This was actually my second attempt, because the first one ended up messy. I think the problem was something to do with the lining fabric I used, because today's effort, with a slightly heavier, less stretchy lining, went much more smoothly.

It turned out really well! I’ve only made one tie, all that hand sewing is tiring!

• Like 2

For the first year ever my kids have been really excited about getting presents for their siblings. My son has been planning this project for a few weeks, but my husband has been traveling quite a bit and hasn’t been able to supervise the use of power tools. This morning they finally got time to work on it. A6CCB944-8F72-4BE6-9D74-9861B85ACC4F.thumb.jpeg.4b6d16f0bff0c599b6e33300fae3e9ed.jpeg

He designed, purchased the materials, and made this on his own for his little brother. I’m pretty proud of him. I’m not sure if he plans to paint or stain it, but it’s too cold to do that in the garage today. 

• Like 12

Well, I made it -- As of this evening, I completed the remaining projects that absolutely need to be done before the 25th.

Here's the completed alpaca alongside the fabric gift bag in which it got wrapped:

Alpaca and Bag.jpeg

And here's the dice bag for my son:

Dice Bag.jpg

I haven't managed to finish crocheting the headband for my friend, but I likely won't see her until New Year's, so I have a few days. And I did cut out the mini-stockings for my daughter and her partner, but haven't yet sewn them. Fortunately, they aren't coming into town until a couple of days after Christmas, which gives me a little breathing room on that project. 

I hope to finish both of those tomorrow, since we have no plans until the evening.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 10

I recycled my grandmother's hymnal into an angel for the Christmas season. And today, I started a little house to paint/decorate like it's a gingerbread house; maybe it'll be ready by next Christmas LOL. I painted the base white for snow and added glitter. I think I will use spackle to make 3D snow. It's this one from Walmart.  https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/3d-wooden-country-villa-puzzle/596122-1000

20181210_154802.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is long after the last post, but...

DS4 asked for playmobil, playmobil, playmobil for Christmas, so we got him a bunch of "home/living" sets and planned to make a dollhouse out of old shoe boxes.  It was only half finished when we left for Christmas break (we were gone for 2+ weeks).  Last night we finally put the lights in.  The tube on the right is a working elevator (with a light, too!)

IMG_1312.JPG

• Like 6