Menu

Dr billing frustration

school17777

At my well visit this year, my dr referred me to see two different drs for two separate issues.  We recently got the billing for those two visits (to the same facility, same day), had an X-ray and a test done.    I’m being charged 4 facility fees totally almost $1400!  This in addition to the dr fees, xray, test, and supplies for the test.  

I was there for two hours between the two visits, and most of that time was waiting to see the dr for my scheduled appointment.

The billing office is like, well your insurance is paying for it, not you.  Yes, because I met my deductible but I still have to pay the coinsurance portion.  And just because I have insurance to cover it does not it right to charge me if it is not accurate.

I recently heard a story on NPR about hospital billing, and how crazy it can get. The first piece of advice was: never pay the bill you're given! Always, always negotiate it down. Of course, don't NOT pay it to the point of having it negatively affect your credit, but you can stretch out the non-payment for quite a while. Keep calling. You can also research other facilities in the area and see what THEY charge for everything, and then negotiate down from there. 

I was once able to reduce a bill a lot by calling and explaining that I couldn't afford it (I really couldn't). Turns out the hospital had a program for low-income people. They might have other things, too, if you keep on digging.

Sorry you're dealing with this!!

If they are in-network, call your insurance company and ask them to file a fraud complaint.  Someone, probably a lawyer, will look at the in-network benefits and make sure they are being billed correctly.  If not, the company will be fined and the state attorney general will be notified, which generally changes company billing policies much faster than complaining to someone making less than $15/hour taking customer service calls in the billing department.