Menu

Spelling through morphographs -- help needed

alisoncooks

I've been unsuccessfully searching for the Teacher Presentation Book 1 for this program. (I have the student workbook and Presentation book 2 seems to be more readily available). 

I'd love to buy it from someone who's finished with it. I'd even be willing to RENT IT if you're not wanting to sell!!

I'm just desperate for a 1-year spelling remediation for oldest DD and hate that I can't get my hands are on this when it seems promising. 

16 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I found a place to purchase it quite cheap at one pt yrs ago when my 22 yr old finished A&P.  I have no idea where, though. I shared the info with someone. Maybe @Lori D. ?  Not sure who it was. Posting in case it was her and she might remember. 

haha, I do remember those years back on the *original* WTM board of moaning and trying to find something to work for DS#2. But it wasn't me. Back when DS was in 6th grade (he's almost 25yo now ? ), we finally found Megawords and the Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual (mnenomics-based) that turned the corner for us. After that, I made an individualized spelling program for him all the way through grade 12. So, no Morphographs here, although I did briefly consider it way back then.

Honestly, I would be tempted to *call* the 2 sellers of the 2000 edition of Book 1 that I'm seeing at Abe Books and tell them flat out -- "I'll buy it for $25 + shipping, or I'm fine with dealing with one of your competitors instead. I'm just giving you first shot at a book sale." Trying to charge over $1,000 for a book that is not a collectible is either gouging or it's because the book got tied to one of those apps that automatically keeps upping the price whenever people search for it, and the seller will *never* unload the book at that price...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts!

We've been using A&P. Oldest DD is partially through book C, and we'd hit a wall with it. (Not seeing improved/transfer to other writing.)  

I've considered using Megawords but she's resisting the idea of starting a whole new program with all those levels (I actually have several on hand for younger DD, who just finished REWARDS and did very well with that "word chunks" approach.)

Maybe we'll just stay the course with A&P since we're halfway through. It has worked for us before...so maybe this is a blip. 

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

We've been using A&P. Oldest DD is partially through book C, and we'd hit a wall with it. (Not seeing improved/transfer to other writing.)  

Honestly, I might not switch if this is the only reason. I'd ignore most spelling errors outside of papers that she needs to revise. For those, give her a separate editing time that is JUST for mechanics (ie, outside of other rewriting she does for sentence structure, clarity etc...) Let it be her writing time or spelling time for the day and encourage her to find all the errors she can. Praise for any she finds, and also praise for any she knows how to fix. Then just walk her through the rest (if they are beyond what she has learned, just give her the spelling and let her move on--your main focus is to help her apply what she's learned.) There are so many steps involved in writing, and it can be hard for kids who really struggle to be able to put all of those skills together at once. 

I'd consider switching if you are seeing issues as she's doing the program, but for outside work, she probably needs more editing time and more training on how to look for and fix errors.

Oh, another thing she can do--have her keep a list of her 20-30 most often misspelled words. After she writes a paper, have her check it against her word list. As she masters those words, they can drop off the list and she can keep a new list.

• Like 2

When you do the placement tests in SWR they kick out mastery and overall scores. There's usually a gap and I agree with Merry that the gap in real life doesn't necessarily mean ditch your program. You could tweak how you're using it and bring in spiraling review. You could add daily dictation. You could teach her how to use a spelling dictionary or frequent words list. My dd needed all that and she's not even dyslexic.

Also consider checking her visual memory. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On November 26, 2018 at 5:52 AM, alisoncooks said:

Update:

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!  Plot twist! I was able to find the two guides for a reasonable price, so we are going to give it a go!  These other ideas I'll put in my back pocket in case we need them. 🙂

Update this how it goes. I have a similar situation.