Menu

GWTM Lesson 58

Taryn Schnugh

Hi,

We are working through the exercises in Lesson 58 of Grammar for the Well Trained Mind. Demonstrative Pronouns and Adjectives. To date, we have used Shurley Grammar and I feel like I cannot understand grammar without some question and answer flow. I am sorry if my questions here are stupid, my grammar studies are basically non-existent.

Exercise A:

Sentence 2: Medgar Evers was effective, and that made him a target of hate. "that" is the demonstrative pronoun and the answer key has labelled it "S" as subject. Am I right int saying "effective"
 is a predicate adjective because it describes Medgar Evers and that is why it's labelled as subject?!?!?

Sentence 9: She was apparently calm, but those of us who knew her were aware of the great perturbation beneath her serene exterior. So the answer key labels "those" as DP S. I have no idea why. Could you explain?

If the demonstrative acts as an adjective, DO, IO or OP it seems obvious, but I don't really understand how to figure out if it's acting as the subject or referring to the subject.

Exercise C :

Diagramming, sentence 1:

There must be no hesitation and no compromise with our purpose. I have no idea how to classify this so that we can diagram it. This is what I can get:

There must be no what with out purpose? Compromise and purpose, compound subject nouns

What is being said about compromise and hesitation? must (hv) be verb

with: preposition, with what? purpose: object of the preposition, whose purpose? our: possessive pronoun adjective

what kind of compromise? no - adjective 

what kind of hesitation? no - adjective

no clue about there. I think "hesitation and compromise" are the subject nouns and from the diagram I assume "there" is an adverb, but not sure that that makes sense in my mind. Would the question be "must be to what extent? There" That makes no sense...

Sentence 3: All of this is on account of us.

I go through a question and answer flow.

What is on account of us? All - subject noun

What is being said about All? All is - verb

of preposition, of what this, object of the preposition (and follow the same Q&A flow for the other two prepositional phrases). I can classify but I have no idea why "on account of us" is diagrammed the way SWB did in the answer key. I don't know what job the last two prepositional phrases are doing.

If you have questions and answers I could add to help us figure out who is who in the zoo and what job each part of speech is doing, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks in advance!

Taryn

Edited by Taryn Schnugh