Menu

Do you bring your own Bible to church?

Ottakee

Do you bring your own Bible to church?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take your own Bible to church?

• Yes, everyone carries their own Bible
    • Yes but we also offer pew Bibles/scripture in the screen
    • No..the pasto/priest/leader just reads it to us
    • Other....because I am sure there are more options

I have the Bible App on my phone, so I use that if we need to look things up, but overall, the pastor has a large screen up on the stage and passages he reads to us are put up on the screen to follow along.  

If he "just read it" I would at least look it up to follow along, but since it is up on the screen up front, I typically don't.

I dont because I found it to be much too redundant to justify carrying a physical Bible. I do have a Bible ap, but were I to try to use it during the service, the speaker reads it before I get to it. It is displayed on screens anyway. Additionally, the speaker may have chosen a different translation, making it even more pointless to try to get to my own version. 

I have had the sense that the Senior Pastor finds it annoying that so few people look up the scripture themselves; maybe it feels a little spoon-feeding-ish to look into the congregation and see everyone staring at the screens rather than actively referencing their own Bibles. But I think that is simply where we have arrived in general. The church is not Luddite in any case; it uses PushPay for giving (if you want) and registration for all events is through the website. We even have tickets for Christmas and Easter services. 

There is a Bible available in the pews beneath the hymnals, during the main church service.

During Sunday School there are a few Bibles available or I look on with someone who has brought their Bible.

Frankly this is something that went out the window for me when my twins were born and I was trying to get three kids and all our gear into church usually by myself.  

I could probably get back to it now, but I can’t say I have moments where it is a problem for me.  The thing is, I can easily borrow a Bible from the main chapel at any time.  I can’t make notes in a Bible then, but that’s not something I do anyway.  There are also pens and a bulletin easily available in the main chapel for taking notes.  

The other thing is, it is different from when I went to a Baptist church until I was in about 8th grade.  There everyone carried a Bible, and it was a really big deal to have a Bible presentation in (iirc) 5th grade and start carrying that Bible, to make a Bible cover in summer camp, and I also was given a beautiful presentation Bible my grandmother that was a big deal.

These things are just not as emphasized at churches I have attended since then.  It’s fine for me to use a loose Bible.  I think at the church I went to when I was younger, it was expected to read your own Bible.  I don’t remember there being loose Bibles.  There was an expectation to take notes and keep notes organized in some way, a lot of men would carry a legal pad and women would have a notebook as part of their Bible cover.  

Part of that though, is that it makes a big difference whether the note-taking kind of time is a Sunday School or mid-week Bible Study.  At some churches that time is on Sunday morning.  At the church I attend now, that isn’t expected on Sunday morning, but it is expected at mid-week Bible Studies.  

Right now I attend a small Methodist church.  We don’t have Sunday morning Bible study (or Sunday School).  I think most people follow along with the scripture reading on the screen.  During the sermon, most people listen to the scripture read by the pastor as it comes up.  There isn’t any “turn to Book/chapter/verse” during the sermon.  It’s mentioned but it’s not expected that everyone turn to the page in the Bible during the sermon.  

I find it less distracting to just listen this way.  However I have heard many people at the Baptist church say it really helps them to focus when they turn to the reading and take notes.  

I think both ways are good, though.  

I am the kind of person who will get distracted and keep reading a section of the Bible instead of following along with the pastor, when I turn in my Bible.  I do not think that is the worst thing in the world, but I used to do it a lot.  I do think I get more from the sermon when I just listen, though.  

Edit:  seeing another comment, maybe this is more of a shift to screens in general.  

I also have an attitude that I can google a bible verse so it’s not so important for me to jot down a chapter and verse to be able to find something later.  It’s very different from feeling like “if I miss this I won’t be able to find it again later.”  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I have heard both ways as far as what pastors prefer.  

I have heard some say that they like it better when they see people looking up instead of looking down at their Bibles.  I have also heard (at a different church a few years ago) that it seems like people are less actively involved in the service, and like it takes away from people realizing the importance of reading their Bible at home because they don’t see it during the church service.  

am the kind of person who will get distracted and keep reading a section of the Bible instead of following along with the pastor, when I turn in my Bible.  I do not think that is the worst thing in the world, but I used to do it a lot.  I do think I get more from the sermon when I just listen, though.  

This made me laugh because you jogged my memory; I used to do this a lot when I was a kid. I remember thinking certain books of the Bible were just so fascinating and once I had been alerted to some scripture in Proverbs or wherever, I would just start reading on thinking, “wow, look what it says about the love of money! Look at this about gossip! And angry brawling! And...” ?

• Like 7

Most people bring their own Bibles, though a few use Bible apps. There are also pew Bibles. Scripture references (but not text) are printed in the bulletin, with page numbers for the pew Bibles. We don't have screens. 

Personally, I bring my Bible (and notebook for taking notes) to evening service but not morning service, but that's because I'm the parent who takes DS to the cry room during the sermon in the mornings. Evening service is when I can pay attention. ? 

• Like 1

In the Roman Catholic Mass, readings from the bible are a part of the service (Liturgy of the Word) and the Sunday readings are included in the missal that is in almost every pew. The readings are the same all over the world and rotate in a 3 year cycle. 

On Sundays, there is the 1st reading (OT, during year but from Acts during Easter season), a psalm, 2nd reading (NT) and then the Gospel.

So most people don't bring a Bible bc the readings are available. 

• Like 1

I sometimes bring a Bible, sometimes open a Bible app on my phone.  There are Bibles in the pew to use.  Scriptures are not up on the screen; they are read by the preacher. I do like to follow along as he reads because I can focus better that way.  My mind tends to drift when I am passively listening.

No idea what most other people do. I can only really see what the people right in front of me, or next to me, do, and I don't really notice.

• Like 1

It’s interesting to see some of you saying that you don’t bring a Bible but that you use an app. I bring my iPad and use the Bible I have loaded on there. I consider that to be “bringing my Bible” because I am - it’s just in a different format. I was the first person in our 2000+ congregation to use an iPad or iPhone during the service and now they are very common. 

• Like 2

I grew up taking my bible to our non denom church each Sunday. 

Then after marriage we were Episcopalian and the readings were in the bulletin, but hymnals and BCP were in the pews.  We attend a Catholic church now and it's a modern tech style parish.  There are no books of any kind in the pews.  We can read on the screens for everything except readings which are on the app.  DH and kids follow the app and I mostly just listen but sometimes I'll read along.  

Yes, I do. I know this sounds a little “conspiracy theory-ish” but I was taught that it’s important to have your own Bible and not just trust that what some person may pass out or put up in a screen is accurate. And I don’t mean a different version or translation, but actually changing Scripture. That actually wasn’t a huge fear, but it still made me think.  Also, beyond that, which I don’t really worry about too much, I like to annotate in the margins, so I like to have my physical paper Bible with me.

• Like 12

I did when I was a kid.  We did have pew Bibles, but I liked to have my own as did most people.  It was a small non-denominational church.

I currently am a member of a large(ish) inter-denominational church, and as far as I can see only DH brings a Bible.  There are pew Bibles, but I never see anyone use them.  Mostly people use the upfront screens.  I use my Bible app.  I prefer to use my Bible, but it is starting to fall apart and the church rarely uses the version I have.

Unsinkable's description is like mine. Roman Catholic, readings from the Bible are in the Missal. I sometimes bring my monthly devotional that includes the daily Mass readings since our Church has gone to books that only have the Sunday readings in them.

3 hours ago, TechWife said:

It’s interesting to see some of you saying that you don’t bring a Bible but that you use an app. I bring my iPad and use the Bible I have loaded on there. I consider that to be “bringing my Bible” because I am - it’s just in a different format. I was the first person in our 2000+ congregation to use an iPad or iPhone during the service and now they are very common. 

Yeah, true, it is just a different format.  I sort of automatically read it "physical book" in my head, I guess.  :-)

And I'm curious - in such a large congregation, how did you know you were the first to use a Bible on a device?  

Most people bring their own or use an app. I bring mine, I like to make notes in it. 

We also have pew bibles and there a bibles in the classrooms. We are encouraged to give bibles the church bought to people who might not own a bible. We also have English/Chinese bibles available as quite a few Chinese people visit our church for English classes. 

So, in our service the readings are mandated for the day in the liturgical year - today, for example, is the 24th Sunday after Trinity.  There is a specific epistle and gospel lesson for that day.

In the service, the lessons are read out or sung from a very large Bible by the sub-deacon and priest.  For the congregation, they have prayer books, and part of the book is organised by the liturgical dates.  If you go to Trinity 24, there is the collect (prayer) for the day, and the two lessons.  So if you want, you can follow along.  Though the service is really designed to be aural more than read along with - most people just listen unless they are hard of hearing.  

I'm not sure how many Bibles are available in the church proper - I guess they would be stacked with the prayer books but I've never noticed them.  People don't bring their own.  Now, for a Bible study or some kind of class people will commonly bring their own, although there are also quite a few in the church hall if people want to use those.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, unsinkable said:

In the Roman Catholic Mass, readings from the bible are a part of the service (Liturgy of the Word) and the Sunday readings are included in the missal that is in almost every pew. The readings are the same all over the world and rotate in a 3 year cycle. 

On Sundays, there is the 1st reading (OT, during year but from Acts during Easter season), a psalm, 2nd reading (NT) and then the Gospel.

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Unsinkable's description is like mine. Roman Catholic, readings from the Bible are in the Missal. I sometimes bring my monthly devotional that includes the daily Mass readings since our Church has gone to books that only have the Sunday readings in them.

I've seen lots of people with Magnificat too. What I've never seen is someone reading along on their phone which is weird now that I think about it. You'd think that a daily readings app or Sunday missal app would be very popular.

Same as Blue and unsinkable in that  the readings are already chosen and follow a cycle. We have them printed out in a bulletin but I like to bring my own bible so I can see preceding verses and also make a note. Unfortunately, I only brought my huge archeological bible and my daily bible from home, not the one I take to church (I didn't bring my totebag, either). So I am just using the bulletin now. I do take notes on the sermon in a journal,  which is weird for my denomination (Episcopalian). 

Growing up--yes I brought a bible and I wrote copious notes in it.  The thing is packed.  But the pastor had a particular style of teaching.  He'd start with one scripture and then show us a bunch of other scriptures that backed up the first one and he'd talk about the concept at length.  There was a lot of page turning at that church, seeing how the scriptures all went together; 7 or 8 scriptures every lesson. 

But he died 15 years ago and we've been going to a different church since he died.  Aaaand, right now we're changing churches, so we've recently started visiting other churches, trying to find a good fit for us.  I've found that my old pastor's style of teaching isn't done in many places.  Instead, the preacher picks one or two scriptures and preaches on that/those without bouncing around to other scriptures.  Also, the scriptures are on the screen.  Also, preachers never tell us what translation they're using, so when we visit somewhere, my translation in my app (because I just leave the bible at home now) doesn't match theirs and by the time I try to figure out which one they're using, they've finished reading.  And it was on the screen anyway.   Maybe when we finally settle down and pick a church, I'll figure out what translation they use and then bring a paper bible to match, and start taking notes in the bible again.  I like having notes in the bible, because they're all in one place and not in a bunch of notebooks. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Yes, I take my Bible.

The sermon text is always printed in the bulletin, and we have pew Bibles. No screens up front for us - neo-gothic cathedral architecture! 

I choose the book over a screen for multiple reasons.

1. I like to write in the margins and underline. In the sermon and on the rare occasions I get to Sunday school. (I have a job in children's ministry.)

2. I find phone/ipad screens (mine or other people's) hugely distracting in worship. My already easily-distracted heart does not need that. 

3. I have a child who needs to be as screen-free as possible, and he sits beside me.

4. I am a bit of a Luddite and just like my leather and paper Bible. ? I know that I learn better with a pen and paper. So do my kids.

5. My phone is ancient, with a small screen and is hard to read on. Yes, I can enlarge the text, but then I can't see the whole verse or passage.

A phone is a great back-up, but will never be primary for me. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Yeah, true, it is just a different format.  I sort of automatically read it "physical book" in my head, I guess.  ?

And I'm curious - in such a large congregation, how did you know you were the first to use a Bible on a device?  

First, we have three services so it's a smaller group of people - I think the worship center held about 600 at the time (it has since been remodeled). We have a media team that "sees all" from their vantage point. One of the people on the team asked me what app I was using & told me I was the only one they were seeing do this. At that point, I was using a downloaded Bible in my Kindle app. I now use YouBible because it is easier to navigate.  It was shortly after the second iPad version came out because that was my first iPad.

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

I've seen lots of people with Magnificat too. What I've never seen is someone reading along on their phone which is weird now that I think about it. You'd think that a daily readings app or Sunday missal app would be very popular.

I just ordered Magnificat to try out. I've been using the Word Among Us for a few years. I know the WAU has an app that has free access with a subscription, but I don't use it. I prefer the paper copy in my hands.

Our church has the readings in the bulletin / on the screen.

Also, there are Bibles in the pew racks.

We have a different person do the readings each service.  I follow along in the bulletin.  I don't think I've ever felt the need to open the actual Bible, although my kid does this to keep her mind busy when the service gets long.

I don't bring my cell phone to church normally.  I would rather not be distracted.

We bring our bibles. Even my 5 year old brings a picture book bible.

I think that getting into the habit of reading and double checking is very important. I've been in a few services where the minister was... taking liberties with the text and having the whole passage, in context, in front of me kept things clear (no, we didn't go back!) 

I also like any chance for myself or my children to flip around, learn the context, see how it's all put together. We like to highlight and note take too.

Our church also has the main verses on screen and read out. And there are bible's available in the foyer.

Plenty of people bring digital bibles or just read the screen & listen too. I wouldn't say there's a one way culture in our church, no-one bothers anyone about a right way.

• Like 2

At our church most people bring their own Bible. Most people seem to prefer paper but a few use apps and some do both paper and an app (so they can read other versions to compare). We have pew Bibles also. Many people use the pew Bible for the responsive reading so that we’re all reading the same translation. We don’t have screens. 

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Yes, I do. I know this sounds a little “conspiracy theory-ish” but I was taught that it’s important to have your own Bible and not just trust that what some person may pass out or put up in a screen is accurate. And I don’t mean a different version or translation, but actually changing Scripture. That actually wasn’t a huge fear, but it still made me think.  Also, beyond that, which I don’t really worry about too much, I like to annotate in the margins, so I like to have my physical paper Bible with me.

Thanks, Krissi, for sharing that.   I never really thought about it directly but maybe in an indirect way as I prefer to take my own paperbound Bible due to translation but to follow along to see if/how translation changes.  But, words vary according to translation so you're referring to members who use the same translation as the pastor, no?   Otherwise, the words will change a bit due to translation.  I highlight, make notes in my Bible also.  I'm too slow to type everything up and am more old-school (like to "feel" paperbound Bible, etc.).

3 hours ago, Garga said:

Growing up--yes I brought a bible and I wrote copious notes in it.  The thing is packed.  But the pastor had a particular style of teaching.  He'd start with one scripture and then show us a bunch of other scriptures that backed up the first one and he'd talk about the concept at length.  There was a lot of page turning at that church, seeing how the scriptures all went together; 7 or 8 scriptures every lesson. 

But he died 15 years ago and we've been going to a different church since he died.  Aaaand, right now we're changing churches, so we've recently started visiting other churches, trying to find a good fit for us.  I've found that my old pastor's style of teaching isn't done in many places.  Instead, the preacher picks one or two scriptures and preaches on that/those without bouncing around to other scriptures.  Also, the scriptures are on the screen.  Also, preachers never tell us what translation they're using, so when we visit somewhere, my translation in my app (because I just leave the bible at home now) doesn't match theirs and by the time I try to figure out which one they're using, they've finished reading.  And it was on the screen anyway.   Maybe when we finally settle down and pick a church, I'll figure out what translation they use and then bring a paper bible to match, and start taking notes in the bible again.  I like having notes in the bible, because they're all in one place and not in a bunch of notebooks. 

WAIT, wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT. Wait. You can’t be saying...the church with the playspace? The kitchen? The tables? Plugs for @school17777 ‘s InstantPot? 

The world just tipped on its axis. 

• Like 1

Our pastors usually do a sermon series where they spend a number of weeks preaching verse by verse through a book of the Bible. They sometimes hand out reading schedules with the idea that people can read the verses themselves during the week and then come to the Sunday service to hear the sermon about those verses. Some people bring Bibles, some use apps, and some people just follow along on a screen when the pastor reads the verses. Anyone who doesn't have a Bible can get ask for a free one from a desk near the entrance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unsinkable said:

Adding that people do bring their own Missal with them, which would have the scripture for the service printed in it. My daugher has the kids version. The church also sends out an email with a heads up as to what the readings will be so you can look them up ahead of time if you wish (if you don't have a missal or want to use an online one). 

1 hour ago, LMD said:

We bring our bibles. Even my 5 year old brings a picture book bible.

I think that getting into the habit of reading and double checking is very important. I've been in a few services where the minister was... taking liberties with the text and having the whole passage, in context, in front of me kept things clear (no, we didn't go back!) 

I also like any chance for myself or my children to flip around, learn the context, see how it's all put together. We like to highlight and note take too.

Our church also has the main verses on screen and read out. And there are bible's available in the foyer.

Plenty of people bring digital bibles or just read the screen & listen too. I wouldn't say there's a one way culture in our church, no-one bothers anyone about a right way.

THIS is how I feel.  I guess I am sad that our current church does not encourage people to bring their own Bibles, read the context, etc.  I have not seen any "drifting" away and the preaching is solid but it is more of a seeker church.

I do think that you lose something in the digital format.  The context of where in the Bible it is, the chapters before and after, etc.  I am just a traditional girl at heart.

My kids love our church and it is a good fit for them as the sermons are lighter which works well for them as they all have cognitive impairments.   I just miss the solid hymns, the deep preaching, etc.  Very hard to find a church like that around.

• Like 7

I should add that while I don't bring my Bible, many others do, especially older parishioners.  I guess they like to make notes and stuff like that for later reference.  I don't like writing in my Bibles so I don't have that concern.

I have read the Bible numerous times from cover to cover, in addition to participating in many Bible studies, so I pretty much know what it says.  So I'm good with just listening and reading along with the readings in church.  When I am studying the Bible, I need more time to think than would be given in church anyway.

I can get info to pre-read the chapters that the readings come from if I want to.  So far I haven't wanted to.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that some have mentioned not bringing their own because the speaker uses a different translation. I actually often carry a different version than the version predominately used at my congregation on purpose because I find that the slightly different wording can at times be interesting and illuminating.  I usually carry a paper copy but also use an app if I get off without the "real thing".☺

• Like 5

My kids all take their Bibles to church.  Dh has a Bible on a device that he uses.

I used to take a Bible.  I need bifocals, so I can't read mine right now.  (I read the Bible on my desktop at home.)  We have some large print Bibles, but they are so heavy and are difficult for me to carry (due to arthritis).