Menu

Shall we start the what to get a......for Christmas thread??

lynn

I'll start. 13 year old girl who wants nothing.  I'm thinking wireless head phones, bath and body works something, eye shadow brush set(she does not wear makeup outside the house but has some she plays around with at home),  I need to get to hot topic and look around.  Any other suggestions?

Also, what to get Navy boy.  He'll be in school for 6 months or more.

• Like 1

My dd never wants anything but she seems to like personalized items - like ornaments and photo gifts.  She's really tough to buy for.  

ETA:  She also really likes dark chocolate with a high cocoa content so we get that for her as a treat.  

Edited by Kassia

I'd love some help on what to get an 11 yo boy. He's not into legos, we have enough games, I can't think of any sporting type stuff he doesn't have. He reads voraciously- but gets all his books from the library and doesn't really want to own them. He's into running and TKD. The only thing he wants is video games - but we already have problems with screen time, and we are not adding more to fight about. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TABmom said:

I'd love some help on what to get an 11 yo boy. He's not into legos, we have enough games, I can't think of any sporting type stuff he doesn't have. He reads voraciously- but gets all his books from the library and doesn't really want to own them. He's into running and TKD. The only thing he wants is video games - but we already have problems with screen time, and we are not adding more to fight about. 

Special running gear?  Does he run in the cold (I was thinking about cold weather running stuff)?  New running socks, a cool water bottle to bring to TKD?  Coupons for fun outings (experience gifts)?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TABmom said:

I just read that there are gaming magazines.  Would that be something he would enjoy?

I'm just giving a "general" reply:

A few years ago (with teens), I began to give cash for the unspent part of their budgeted gift amount . . . rather than buying junk to finish off their group of gifts.
Crisp $1 bills from the bank, $1 coins, origami $5, or bills hidden in books of the book case - there are fun ways to give cash.
Our son-in-law loves my granola bar recipe, so he gets a check in the box of them.
I dislike buying "throwaway" gifts that cost more than $1.  ?

Another option is to buy things that can easily be returned if you "guess" wrong with those hard-to-shop-for kids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

A few years ago (with teens), I began to give cash for the unspent part of their budgeted gift amount . . . rather than buying junk to finish off their group of gifts.
Crisp $1 bills from the bank, $1 coins, origami $5, or bills hidden in books of the book case - there are fun ways to give cash.
Our son-in-law loves my granola bar recipe, so he gets a check in the box of them.

We do this with our kids, too.  My husband will make up clever certificates with the amount we are giving and personalize it for each kid with their interests, ages (if it's a birthday), what he thinks they will use the money towards, or just something silly.  They get a kick out of the certificates and it's more personal than just giving them cash or check.  

• Like 3

Cold weather running gear is a great idea! He has some stuff, but I bet he would really like a running jacket. Thanks! Personal water bottles would be a great stocking stuffers idea for all my kids- We're always losing/fighting over water bottles. He'd probably love a gaming magazine, but we're majorly limiting screen time.If he has much screen time,he completely loses his ability to regulate emotions and has crazy meltdowns. 

I saw a laser tag set at Costco that I think we'll get for him. That may be a idea that helps somebody out!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I could use some help:

I'm in search of a science gift for a 6-year old boy. He's getting our hand-me-down Magic School Bus DVD set, and I'd like to include a fun, INEXPENSIVE add-on. $10 range?  A kit, maybe?

All of my boys were pretty impressed with this little toy. It is neat to see the different ways you can make (or not make!) the electricity flow. 

https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/store/energy-stick.html?attribute_pa_quantity=qty-1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInN6S57zX3gIVVLbACh1i3QN5EAQYBCABEgI2qvD_BwE

I’ve seen them at Hobby Lobby. 

• Like 1

An 11 month old... she obviously needs nothing, but her big siblings (4 and 5.5) are already so excited about her first Christmas and Santa bringing presents.  They will definitely notice if baby gets nothing or hand me down toys.  Santa brings 3 presents, and I already know she’s getting a little pack of Magnatiles, because all of them are (yay for deals).

ETA: We have 4 kids under 6, and I’m literally counting down the days until I can donate the baby toys.

Edited by medawyn

1 hour ago, medawyn said:

An 11 month old... she obviously needs nothing, but her big siblings (4 and 5.5) are already so excited about her first Christmas and Santa bringing presents.  They will definitely notice if baby gets nothing or hand me down toys.  Santa brings 3 presents, and I already know she’s getting a little pack of Magnatiles, because all of them are (yay for deals).

ETA: We have 4 kids under 6, and I’m literally counting down the days until I can donate the baby toys.

A playground ball: bigger kids can gently roll it back and forth with her, and it's still a good toy for a long time.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 11:26 AM, lynn said:

I'll start. 13 year old girl who wants nothing.  I'm thinking wireless head phones, bath and body works something, eye shadow brush set(she does not wear makeup outside the house but has some she plays around with at home)

Instead of Bath and Body Works, get her some stuff from Lush. It's the new B&B, lol. My dd loves their bath bombs, lotion etc...https://www.lushusa.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-7i2-vX3gIVTNiyCh2i1AinEAAYASAAEgKL4PD_BwE

On 11/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, TABmom said:

My 11 year old boy is very similar.

We are getting him the extra game contents for one computer game he enjoys that he keeps asking for.

And some books (Because it is nice having books at home some times). I have purchased a book called "Honey for Your Teen's HEart" to get ideas for books he might enjoy.

A Compass because he is in scouts and it will become important to have.

Something NASA based because we've paid for a overnight at NASA and that's becoming part of his Christmas because its too expensive otherwise.

And I'm looking for something similar to a Rubik's Cube/fiddle toy. Or maybe a game because he likes doing both.

18 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I could use some help:

I'm in search of a science gift for a 6-year old boy. He's getting our hand-me-down Magic School Bus DVD set, and I'd like to include a fun, INEXPENSIVE add-on. $10 range?  A kit, maybe?

What about a pocket microscope or magnifier?  Some are quite inexpensive and they are a really great scientific tool.