Menu

Health insurance for adult children - questions

swimmermom3

Dd turned 26 in October and aged off of our health insurance. She works as an esthetician and is fortunate to work for a salon that offers health insurance. She filled out the required paperwork and turned it in to the company. They denied her coverage even though she qualifies for it, because they are changing to a new plan at the end of November.  She has 20 days to wait and this means she has no health  coverage. She suffers from severe anxiety and depression. Her meds can run up to $500 per prescription, not to mention counseling. Can her company legally deny her coverage if she meets all of their requirements?

Turning 26 would be considered a qualifying event that would allow her to enroll in a new policy outside of the regular enrollment period.  When doing this, the insurance may not be effective to the beginning of the the month following the month in which notification is given.  Did she complete all of the paperwork with her employer in the month of October?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jdahlquist said:

Turning 26 would be considered a qualifying event that would allow her to enroll in a new policy outside of the regular enrollment period.  When doing this, the insurance may not be effective to the beginning of the the month following the month in which notification is given.  Did she complete all of the paperwork with her employer in the month of October?  

She completed the insurance application in the month of October.

1 hour ago, QueenCat said:

I would have her do COBRA for a month to be safe. 

We didn't think she could utilize COBRA because her company does offer insurance, just not to her. She meets all of the employment qualifications, it's just inconvenient for them to process the paperwork now when they are discontinuing that plan.

15 hours ago, swimmermom3 said:

Dd turned 26 in October and aged off of our health insurance. She works as an esthetician and is fortunate to work for a salon that offers health insurance. She filled out the required paperwork and turned it in to the company. They denied her coverage even though she qualifies for it, because they are changing to a new plan at the end of November.  She has 20 days to wait and this means she has no health  coverage. She suffers from severe anxiety and depression. Her meds can run up to $500 per prescription, not to mention counseling. Can her company legally deny her coverage if she meets all of their requirements?

Unless they cancelled everyone's insurance through the month of November, they are in error. She has had a qualifying life event (being dropped from another policy due to age) and they should add her to their group policy. She needs to appeal the decision - someone made a mistake. Her coverage should be backdated to the original date she filled out the paperwork.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, swimmermom3 said:

We didn't think she could utilize COBRA because her company does offer insurance, just not to her. She meets all of the employment qualifications, it's just inconvenient for them to process the paperwork now when they are discontinuing that plan.

Their inconvenience isn't her problem. They need to process the paperwork.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, swimmermom3 said:

I'm an employer who provides health insurance to my employees, and it takes me about two minutes max to deal with the paperwork when an employee is added to the insurance. He or she fills out the application, I forward it to the insurance company, and that's that. Beyond signing my name and hitting send, there is no other work involved. The fact that they are discontinuing their current plan should not affect the process at all.

I'm not sure of the legalities of her situation, but I don't see any valid reason for them to deny her coverage for the month of November.