Menu

What's with the ads?

This seems like such a silly question, but I can't seem to settle on what to do.  When figuring grades, do you stop and issue a grade each quarter (or semester) and start fresh the next quarter?  Then average the 2 quarter grades for the semester grade and the 2 semester grades for a final grade?  OR, do you just continue right along and the final grade is a cumulative of the year?  Does it matter?  TIA.

I issue grades at the end of each semester.  However, DD17 needed quarter grades turned in for her dual-enrollment activities with the public school, so I calculated a mid-term grade for her based on her work completed at the end of the quarter. 

I do not start over at the quarter break because all of her classes are set up as semester classes. 

• Like 1

I just did them at the end of the year. If it's a subject that has tests or if you give paper grades, you & your students will both have a pretty good idea of how they are doing anyway.

When I assign grades at co-op and online, I do it at the end of each semester. For me, it's a remnant from when I taught college classes and each semester was a new class.  Students also seem to like getting a fresh start halfway through the year.  I seem to remember getting semester grades when I was in school, too.