Menu

NaNoWriMo - How much editing?

DS is participating in NaNoWriMo for the second time this year (for those who aren’t familiar, NaNoWriMo is a month-long book writing challenge that occurs annually in November). He’s young, so I have him dictate his story while I scribe. Then, after November has passed and the challenge is over, he uses his own story as copywork until he has the entire book in his own handwriting. At that point we also create a cover, add illustrations, etc. 

What I want to know is how much editing should I encourage him to do? I want him to get used to the idea of written work not being “done” the first time through - that it needs polishing - but definitely do not want to frustrate or discourage him! Since he’s copying my writing for the final draft, I don’t need to worry about having him edit for spelling or punctuation.

During the writing process so far, we’ve discussed: 1. Making sure all of the relevant details are present (introducing characters and setting, not leaving out bits of plot) 2. Avoiding too much repetition by using pronouns and finding more specific synonyms for “said” 3. Ensuring that tense is consistent (not switching from present to past). Is there anything else you would include, or are these three items plenty? 

When I used the NaNoWriMo curriculum with my daughter last year, it said to not do any editing during November writing. The reasoning was that going into editing mode turns on the inner critic that can make you freeze up and not be able to write. They do, however, have lessons to do in December that involve editing the work written in November. 

6 hours ago, silver said:

When I used the NaNoWriMo curriculum with my daughter last year, it said to not do any editing during November writing. The reasoning was that going into editing mode turns on the inner critic that can make you freeze up and not be able to write. They do, however, have lessons to do in December that involve editing the work written in November. 

Yes, I’m mostly pre-planning for December. All I’m doing right now is reading it aloud to him and asking occasional questions for missing plot items. We’ll discuss tense agreement & repetition that he doesn’t catch during oral readings in December. I’ll take another look at the revision lessons - I had forgotten about them!