Menu

Best card making supplies

Mama Geek

Dd really enjoys making cards and I have thought about getting some hand punches and some scallop scissors that are good quality for her for Christmas.  She has a pair of scissors that do scallops but they don't work well.  I would also like a nice set of hand punches, but really don't have room for something like a cricut machine.  I was thinking a basic set of shapes would be nice but what I am finding looks to be not decent quality.  I am open to other suggestions for ideas as well.  We have stickers, clear stamps with ink, card stock, glue sticks, markers, pens, and colored pencils

Can anyone help me out here?

@Mama Geek

A deckle edge can be nice on cards, either scissors or a ruler meant for tearing edges.

Sewing on cards can be interesting.  I think there are some tools specifically for stitching on paper but it can also be done with just needle and floss.

Does she mail them?  If so an address book, return address labels and postage stamps can be a gift.

Does she make them for charity?  Maybe put together a list of charities and their guidelines.

I don't make cards often but for other paper crafting I like my circle punches.  I have several sizes.  I also like different sized hole punches but I'm not sure they'd be helpful with cards.

When I do make cards I often use washi tape both on the card and the envelope.

Does she make her own envelopes?  An envelope template could be fun.

• Like 1

As a rabbit trail, I've enjoyed learning Hand Lettering (modern calligraphy) this past year.
I got a great book at Christmas (Hand-lettering for Relaxation), & 8 Turnbow brush markers.
Very low cost, really fun, & I can now easily make cards for any occasion (after lots of FUN practice).

Same author has a kids book = https://www.amazon.com/Express-Yourself-Lettering-Workbook-Awesome-ebook/dp/B07DTCDNFH/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541812050&sr=8-4&keywords=handlettering+for+relaxation

Now I go into Hobby Lobby & see all the home decor & think, "I could do that"!

• Like 1

I did some paper embroidery a couple Christmases ago. It was easy to start/finish, and I liked the results. There are some free Christmas patterns out there to try. I started with this one: https://www.pinbroidery.net//product.php/107/free_merry_christmas_baubles using metallic thread. I found a hole punching tool at a local store and used pieces of watercolor paper that I attached to the fronts of cardstock cards after stitching.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, happi duck said:

@Mama Geek

A deckle edge can be nice on cards, either scissors or a ruler meant for tearing edges.

Sewing on cards can be interesting.  I think there are some tools specifically for stitching on paper but it can also be done with just needle and floss.

Does she mail them?  If so an address book, return address labels and postage stamps can be a gift.

Does she make them for charity?  Maybe put together a list of charities and their guidelines.

I don't make cards often but for other paper crafting I like my circle punches.  I have several sizes.  I also like different sized hole punches but I'm not sure they'd be helpful with cards.

When I do make cards I often use washi tape both on the card and the envelope.

Does she make her own envelopes?  An envelope template could be fun.

She does mail them and has an address book/journal that she uses.  She doesn't do them for charities.  She likes to make all kinds of things from paper in addition to cards which is partly why I am looking for good punches and she has made a couple of envelopes but they didn't turn out well enough to send through the post office, so I will look for a template.  Thanks for the ideas.

My favorite stamping supplier is Stampin Up! It is a direct sales company but you can just purchase off their website and check a "no contact" button. I love their stuff bc all the inks and papers color coordinate and they make stamp sets and die cuts that coordinate with patterned paper.

They are expensive compared to Michael's with their sales and coupons but I thought I'd throw out what great stuff they have. 

An inexpensive way to try their products is to get a card making kit. They are $25 to $40 and include everything  needed to make a bunch of cards. 

They have great punches, in basic shapes...And you can get 2 circle punches that used together would make a perfect mat. They also have great basic dies...circles, oval, squares, etc. But youd need a Big Shot. I love my Big Shot. It isn't big (despite the name haha) and it is just a crank, not electric. I use it more with embossing folder s than dies, though. 

So, all that being said...you should be able to find these at Michael's or Joanns or amazon:

I'd suggest getting a corner rounder, 2 circle punches close in size that form a mat, a set of mini punches (like a star, heart, etc). And a paper cutter. Fiskars has nice basic ones with good markings. I'd get the paper cutter first, if she doesn't have one. 

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Edit to add: Small, sharp scissors in order to cut stamped shapes precisely. In card making, it is sometimes called "fussy-cutting." For nice sharp cuts, show your DD how to open the scissors wide, put the paper into scissors and move the paper, not the scissors. Just apply gentle pressure while moving scissors.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 1