Menu

this is not working...7th grade

2 hours ago, caedmyn said:

I think the writing program I ordered (IEW) has grading checklists

Awesome! 

She doesn't talk the way she writes so I'm not sure what the hangup is there.  I downloaded a voice recorder for her tablet and she recorded her own oral narration today and it was a long one, way longer than anything she's ever written.  I need to find a speech-to-text app to get them down on paper and then get some feedback on one.

I think you're onto it there, that her breakdown is getting it from words to screen. Basically all devices can do dictation now, so just google the type of device you have (kindle, samsung tablet, ipad, chromebook, whatever) and you'll figure out how. There's a little learning curve, but being able to use dictation software should help immensely, yes. 

DD and DS9 finished it through Level 8 last spring.

That's amazing!!

once I got past the initial "how am I going to fit one more thing in" reaction.

Yup, every time I get hit with something new, it takes your breath away, and then with time you go ok, deep breath, we can do this. 

I think if she's having that big a discrepancy between her oral and her written work, that's an area to focus. Dyslexia can involve a language component, and you want to see that writing maturing or coming out if it's inside and was being held back by a lack of tech. I wondered about having kids *type* through the Barton lists. The Eides talk about kinesthetic memory in typing, and I think typing the patterns of the words would improve that motor planning automaticity. There's also the Talking Fingers program that builds typing in a more dyslexia-friendly way. She's right about the age that typing finally came together for my dd, so I recommend it. I mention this a lot, but I switched my dd to Dvorak, an alternate keyboard layout. QWERTY was very hard for her and with Dvorak (and metronome work and $$$ motivators) she finally improved.

Well keep going. Sounds like you're making a lot of good changes and figuring it out. 

16 hours ago, caedmyn said:

... I do feel like a failure quite a bit.  This thread has been quite helpful overall though, once I got past the initial "how am I going to fit one more thing in" reaction...

((((caedmyn))) Hoping you will quickly and easily find the combination of materials, scheduling, outside helps, and other resources that best helps you and your family have a smoother homeschooling journey. Warmest regards, Lori D.