Menu

What's with the ads?

caedmyn

this is not working...7th grade

18 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I totally agree on the need to step up our game with structure, and it was a huge part of my learning curve with homeschooling, totally agree. However since Caedmyn hasn't replied in her own thread in a while, I'm kinda wondering if she's feeling beaten up here. Caedmyn has already said in other threads that she's putting a whole bunch of her kids through Barton, and unless someone has done Barton they may not realize what a SHOCKING AMOUNT OF WORK that is. It requires a lot of discipline, and her results have been quite good! I think it's reasonable to suggest she's in a very hard situation and that she's probably already aware that she sometimes fails or doesn't live up to her goals. People in very hard situations usually are, because they already get daily reminders.

I hope whatever you're switching to now is working well! 🙂

Is there a way to have a rubric (a grading checklist), so she knows exactly what the expectations were and can self-monitor whether she hit them? Also, in your original list of her work, I didn't see anything that was in the vein of grammar or something for improving syntax (her understanding of sentence structure). Some workbooks that are open and go for grammar, sentence-combining, proofreading, anything in that vein might get her a lot of bang for the buck right now. She might need gentle drip drips, something that spirals. Abeka is actually pretty good at this age if you pare it down. I think we did 3 on the page and then stopped if she got those right. Killgallon has some stuff on sentence combining. She needs something to move her language structure forward.

Also, is she listening to audiobooks? Getting in more language via audiobooks might push help her writing just by planting more language. Doesn't have to be hard or classic lit. It could be newer or non-fiction or anything she likes. If you get any of your kids eval'd and get the SLD Reading diagnosed, you could then apply for the National Library Service and get audiobooks for free, unlimited. 🙂

Thanks, Peter Pan.  I do feel like a failure quite a bit.  This thread has been quite helpful overall though, once I got past the initial "how am I going to fit one more thing in" reaction.  I am actually not doing Barton with anyone currently.  DD and DS9 finished it through Level 8 last spring.  DS9 needs spelling review but is doing that with an online tutor.  DS8 has been doing Barton with an online tutor for nearly a year because he wouldn't cooperate with me.  I am not sure if DS5 is dyslexic but he does have auditory discrimination issues and I need to do Foundation in Sounds with him.  

I think the writing program I ordered (IEW) has grading checklists so hopefully that will be helpful.  DD did a grammar-in-a-year program last year (Get Smart Grammar) after 6 years of incremental grammar programs so she's supposed to be done with grammar.  She doesn't talk the way she writes so I'm not sure what the hangup is there.  I downloaded a voice recorder for her tablet and she recorded her own oral narration today and it was a long one, way longer than anything she's ever written.  I need to find a speech-to-text app to get them down on paper and then get some feedback on one.

She doesn't listen to audiobooks much but reads a ton, always has.  She is more of a stealth dyslexic I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caedmyn said:

I think the writing program I ordered (IEW) has grading checklists

Awesome! 

She doesn't talk the way she writes so I'm not sure what the hangup is there.  I downloaded a voice recorder for her tablet and she recorded her own oral narration today and it was a long one, way longer than anything she's ever written.  I need to find a speech-to-text app to get them down on paper and then get some feedback on one.

I think you're onto it there, that her breakdown is getting it from words to screen. Basically all devices can do dictation now, so just google the type of device you have (kindle, samsung tablet, ipad, chromebook, whatever) and you'll figure out how. There's a little learning curve, but being able to use dictation software should help immensely, yes. 

DD and DS9 finished it through Level 8 last spring.

That's amazing!!

once I got past the initial "how am I going to fit one more thing in" reaction.

Yup, every time I get hit with something new, it takes your breath away, and then with time you go ok, deep breath, we can do this. 

I think if she's having that big a discrepancy between her oral and her written work, that's an area to focus. Dyslexia can involve a language component, and you want to see that writing maturing or coming out if it's inside and was being held back by a lack of tech. I wondered about having kids *type* through the Barton lists. The Eides talk about kinesthetic memory in typing, and I think typing the patterns of the words would improve that motor planning automaticity. There's also the Talking Fingers program that builds typing in a more dyslexia-friendly way. She's right about the age that typing finally came together for my dd, so I recommend it. I mention this a lot, but I switched my dd to Dvorak, an alternate keyboard layout. QWERTY was very hard for her and with Dvorak (and metronome work and $$$ motivators) she finally improved.

Well keep going. Sounds like you're making a lot of good changes and figuring it out. 

16 hours ago, caedmyn said:

... I do feel like a failure quite a bit.  This thread has been quite helpful overall though, once I got past the initial "how am I going to fit one more thing in" reaction...

((((caedmyn))) Hoping you will quickly and easily find the combination of materials, scheduling, outside helps, and other resources that best helps you and your family have a smoother homeschooling journey. Warmest regards, Lori D.