Menu

what are your warmest layering pieces??

kfeusse

My daughter is always cold in the winter.  She needs some really warm layering pieces (tops) that hide underneath clothes really well.  She has some basic long john tops, but the neckline is too high to hide under even basic t-shirt type tops.  She has fleece cuddle duds and loves those, but has the same issue for some of her tops.  

So I thought I would ask here, since you guys are always a wealth of information.

Wool socks, silk long johns, LOOSE layers. It’s hard to stay warm wearing skinny jeans and  fitted tops when it’s cold. Scarves can make a difference. Fingerless gloves are nice. Coats that go down to your knees are good. Technology can help. They actually make battery operated socks and coats that stay warm, but I haven’t gone that far.  If she’s cold at home, take what I call a “lobster bath.” Just soak in a hot tub until you bring up the core temperature. Get some exercise to keep the blood flowing beyond a snail’s pace and thaw out cold fingers and toes. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

my girls went to school in upstate NY - and 2dd was ALWAYS cold.   I learned how to dress them - and she wasn't cold even after being outside for a few hours.  - she also did crew in the winter.

if she wants to be warm - start with GOOD long underwear.  silk (you can try winter silks - or I've done ok with some cheap ones), wool, or a synthetic called MTS from REI/similar.   It is essential they are breathable, and wick moisture away. 

you can get quality long underwear in a scoop neck.   (very high quality comes in three weights/warmths too.) - I will add, I have not been impressed with my costco wool long underwear. . . . I've had much better quality and warmth elsewhere.

stay away from cotton, and polypropylene.  a few other's too.

wool tights/leggings.  

cotton is NOT warm.  it absorbs moisture, and that will make you colder.

for crew - dd some polyester/compression type material.  Don't know what it's called.  underarmour makes it.  she was warm.   most warmth is lost through the head, hands, and feet. 

I would put gloves on in the store (coats too) - and wait five or ten minutes.   I should be uncomfortably warm in the store for it to keep me warm in the cold.  if i was fine for temperature - I put it back.

Is she unusually cold?

If so, I would also wonder if there is a medical reason. 

Otherwise what others have said. 

I dont understand why why she needs to wear things that can hide under T-shirts.  

Why not wear turtlenecks and sweaters and so forth. 

she isn't cold all of the time...but often...this might be something to think about.....but she is also a very small, petite gal.  She says that sweaters let the cold air through the "holes"....so it's hard to find a thick enough one she likes.  Didn't think about turtle necks...but they would have to be thicker.

Gardenmom5...can you post a link to some of the items you were speaking off...the underarmor shirts for example.  Thanks. 

This has been very helpful!

just a question...if someone had a medical issue to cause this, would it be a problem all of the time? like even in the spring, summer and fall...or not.  This morning our home was about 69 degrees and she had her winter PJ's and bathrobe on and was completely comfortable.  (It was in the low 30's outside....if that matters) Would that be true with someone who had a medical cause for being cold? I am not trying to negate what you are suggesting...I am just trying to understand it.  

52 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

just a question...if someone had a medical issue to cause this, would it be a problem all of the time? like even in the spring, summer and fall...or not.  This morning our home was about 69 degrees and she had her winter PJ's and bathrobe on and was completely comfortable.  (It was in the low 30's outside....if that matters) Would that be true with someone who had a medical cause for being cold? I am not trying to negate what you are suggesting...I am just trying to understand it.  

I have anemia and I am cold most of the time.  Sometimes it varies depending on the time of the month (regarding blood loss).

I wear winter pajamas all year round.  In the summer, the house is kept at 76.

In the winter, we keep the house at 73 and I have to wear leggings and/or socks and sometimes a sweater in addition to my winter pajamas.

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have anemia and I am cold most of the time.  Sometimes it varies depending on the time of the month (regarding blood loss).

I wear winter pajamas all year round.  In the summer, the house is kept at 76.

In the winter, we keep the house at 73 and I have to wear leggings and/or socks and sometimes a sweater in addition to my winter pajamas.

This is NOT my daughter.  She is not that cold.  Thanks for sharing this. 

• Like 1

I am from Maine and have experimented with warm winter clothing for decades. This sounds too luxe coming from a Mainer, but it works: cashmere sweater from L.L. Bean. It is thin, yet incredibly warm, warmer than any of my wool sweaters and does not itch. It is pricey, but a PITA as it pills like crazy and is difficult to wash. I have made it a middle layer so I don't have to tend to the pills very often and I don't have to wash it very often. Be sure to go up a size if ordering as they run small. The more expensive ones at Beans are better quality than their cheaper ones, though the cheaper ones are really thin which would be good for layering. I wear mine almost every day in winter so I have thus justified its cost by amortizing it over years of use. A v neck may solve her collar issue. There are other retailers that sell these besides Bean.

The silk long underwear is also a staple of my winter wardrobe. If you can get pointelle silk it is a stronger fabric. Cabellas used to have a sturdy set, but I couldn't find them when I looked this year. Wintersilks is another retailer you might try. https://www.wintersilks.com

In general more thin layers is better than a single thick one.

Edited by Kalmia

4 hours ago, kfeusse said:

but she is also a very small, petite gal.  She says that sweaters let the cold air through the "holes"....so it's hard to find a thick enough one she likes.  Didn't think about turtle necks...but they would have to be thicker.

I have this cashmere turtleneck sweater in cafe heather (lighter than photo in link shows, the XS and S is very similar in size) and it can be worn as part of a formal attire all the way to as part of a casual attire. I’m 5’3” and can wear girls size 10/12 or women 00P/XXSP.  I have to layer anyway and I wear long gloves if out after sunset. I am anemic, and cold if the temperature is below 90degF. If there is a wind chill, I’ll be shivering. 

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2592039

ETA:

I also have a collection of scarves to use as my neck still feels cold even with a turtleneck and hooded down parka.

It is 64degF outside now and I am feeling cold indoors. My DS12 misplaced my humidity monitor so can’t tell you my indoor temperature until I locate it. He likes the humidity monitor.

Edited by Arcadia

Thyroid issues can also relate to temperature sense. 

I like llbean’s wool and cotton long underwear better than silk, personally. And a Long sleeve Turtleneck over that. Then a Polartec type pullover or vest (depending on how cold) that can go on or off as needed. A jacket too if needed. That is how I tend to dress when my son is ice skating and I am watching. Plus a hat. 

Either lined jeans or long underwear under regular jeans. 

My son, who tends to be warmer plus is active when he is skating also uses layers, starting with a short sleeve T-shirt and with a non bulky jacket on top, such as by Columbia where mobility is combined with dense wind resistant and also water resistant fabric.