Menu

Amazon is giving free shipping to everyone

mommyoffive

Pretty sure they had to do this to keep up with Target

https://hip2save.com/2018/11/05/amazon-free-shipping-all-orders/

Have you heard the news? For a limited time, Amazon is offering Free Shipping on ALL orders for everyone, not just Prime members! This offer applies to items sold by Amazon only and does not apply to add-on items.

As a person who has had Amazon Prime since I beta tested it... This makes me a little angry.  I paid $119 this year for free shipping.  Yes, there are other Prime perks, but the one I actually USE is the free two-day shipping.  To then just give it to everyone after I've paid a serious premium for it?

Not cool. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

As a person who has had Amazon Prime since I beta tested it... This makes me a little angry.  I paid $119 this year for free shipping.  Yes, there are other Prime perks, but the one I actually USE is the free two-day shipping.  To then just give it to everyone after I've paid a serious premium for it?

Not cool. 

I wonder how much pushback they are going to have/people dropping Prime. I know the free shipping is the only reason we buy Prime.

40 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Yes, there are other Prime perks, but the one I actually USE is the free two-day shipping.  To then just give it to everyone after I've paid a serious premium for it?

32 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I wonder how much pushback they are going to have/people dropping Prime. I know the free shipping is the only reason we buy Prime.

27 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

hmm, I wonder how long it is for.  I suppose we have no real reason to pay for Prime anymore. 

The free shipping is for standard shipping. They just waived the $25 minimum requirement. I wanted to order a $15 test prep book for younger boy and now don’t need to wait for enough to get free shipping or ask a friend with Prime to order for us.

From Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-offering-free-shipping-to-all-customers-for-holiday-2018-11

“The e-commerce giant is offering free shipping to all customers this holiday season, starting Monday. Amazon didn't say when the promotion would end but described the duration as "limited." 

It marks the first time in recent memory Amazon has removed the minimum order requirement for its free super-saver shipping tier. The minimum amount to qualify for free shipping has dropped over the years, to $25 from a high of $49.

The promotion is good for Amazon's five-to-eight-day shipping speed. Prime members will still get free two-day shipping.”

• Like 4

I don't think this is prime two-day shipping.  just their general "free shipping" which is a week, and they already offered for orders >$35.

3rd party sellers, and add-on items are excluded.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I read an article yesterday that they are going to start sending invites to some Prime members to start testing a new service.  It would allow Prime customers to pick one day a week to have their packages delivered.  Then, anything you ordered up to a certain time each week would be delivered on that day.  I'm really not sure what I think of that. 

4 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

I read an article yesterday that they are going to start sending invites to some Prime members to start testing a new service.  It would allow Prime customers to pick one day a week to have their packages delivered.  Then, anything you ordered up to a certain time each week would be delivered on that day.  I'm really not sure what I think of that. 

That seems like an odd service.  I'd be all for it if Prime were cheaper, but at the price I'm paying now, I want 2 day shipping to mean 2 day shipping

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

I think that could be useful if you travel only on certain days or have days of work that are particularly long, and you don't want a package sitting out. 

This was on the news earlier.  What I heard was that it IS free 2-day shipping for "holiday items" (whatever that means) for everyone.

And free overnight shipping on 30,000 items for Prime members- so basically if it's in stock in a warehouse in your area and you order before 3pm, free overnight shipping.  We've already been getting that for several months here, but IF it's not at the local warehouse it takes a week IME.  Most of those items have been delivered by the post office rather than UPS.

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

This was on the news earlier.  What I heard was that it IS free 2-day shipping for "holiday items" (whatever that means) for everyone.

And free overnight shipping on 30,000 items for Prime members- so basically if it's in stock in a warehouse in your area and you order before 3pm, free overnight shipping.  We've already been getting that for several months here, but IF it's not at the local warehouse it takes a week IME.  Most of those items have been delivered by the post office rather than UPS.

I don’t even know how that could work because they were so squirrely on Christmas deliveries last year and we have Prime! 

I’ve had Amazon Prime deliveries delivered by Joe Regular Car. I always find that puzzling, but it happens. It literally just happened two days ago. I ordered a set of zip-up-front sports bras. joe Regular Guy came up the driveway in a Honda and handed the package to me at my front door. 

It was weird. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Quill said:

I don’t even know how that could work because they were so squirrely on Christmas deliveries last year and we have Prime! 

I’ve had Amazon Prime deliveries delivered by Joe Regular Car. I always find that puzzling, but it happens. It literally just happened two days ago. I ordered a set of zip-up-front sports bras. joe Regular Guy came up the driveway in a Honda and handed the package to me at my front door. 

It was weird. 

My only guess is that they think the post office is more reliable for deliveries than UPS.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Quill said:

It was weird. 

Could be OnTrac. Amazon use them for some deliveries here and the delivery guys use their own family cars sometimes instead of the OnTrac van. We also have Sunday Amazon deliveries through USPS. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Prime shipping doesn't seem to be 2 day shipping anymore. We have a warehouse in our local area, but frequently my items take about a week to arrive.

I've heard that from many people for the last few years. It has yet to happen to me yet thankfully. Once it does Prime will no longer be of value to me.

6 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Not cool. 

I agree. The free 2-day shipping, which often takes longer than 2 days. I don’t think I’ve even been ordering enough lately to justify the cost of Prime. 

6 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Not cool. 

I had the same visceral reaction. 

6 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Could happen but it's the holiday season...and they renew automatically. I was not even notified but found the charge on my card.

6 hours ago, hjffkj said:

hmm, I wonder how long it is for.  I suppose we have no real reason to pay for Prime anymore. 

They will have to come up with some other structure but it sounds like there are some restrictions on the free shipping. We are contemplating cancelling Netflix because with Prime we have Amazon movies.

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

I think that could be useful if you travel only on certain days or have days of work that are particularly long, and you don't want a package sitting out. 

You can schedule deliveries with UPS when you have the tracking number, and the post office will hold mail.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, edelweiss said:

I would love that.  I wish UPS and USPS would do this for all packages in general.  I’m gone most of the day M-Th.  If everything could come on Friday afternoon and I never have to deal with a PACKAGE THIEF AGAIN, I’m down.  Seriously.  I’ve had 3 Target packages and 2 Amazon packages go missing in the last year.  Last year one of the packages was my niece’s holiday dress and they stole it right before we needed it.  I had to run out to get a different, autism friendly, dress that night and then cajole my niece into tolerating the unexpected change.  Someone stealing a $15 dress cost me hours of time.  

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Could be OnTrac. Amazon use them for some deliveries here and the delivery guys use their own family cars sometimes instead of the OnTrac van. We also have Sunday Amazon deliveries through USPS. 

Also, Amazon has been contracting to people who drive their own cars for deliveries in some areas.  All Amazon Prime Now is in regular cars from what I have seen.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quill said:

It was weird. 

they have private contractors in some areas.  we have one facility (I was told by an employee there that it's the only one in the area.) in north seattle which is where these private contractors driving their own cars pick up the shipments they deliver.  

I had an item to return, and the only way I could return it and not pay return postage was to drop it off at this facility.   fortunately, that was the week my sister wanted to get together for lunch about a mile from it, so it worked out very well - otherwise it wouldn't have been worth my time.

i get them for a number of things - and different days of the week, different times of day . . . but usually they're the one on sunday - but not always.  I've also had usps on sunday . . .

prime is still worth it for me - as I have the amazon visa card. my rebate is more than my prime membership.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Not cool. 

We pay for 2-day shipping though.  This isn’t 2 day shipping.  

My MIL gifts us Prime every year.  So I guess I don’t pay for it.  But we have been Prime members since the beginning too.  

Edited by LucyStoner

My dd is applying to be an Amazon package deliverer part-time, so I know it's done!  I think it's the only way Amazon can keep up with some of their delivery promises. 

I'd be supportive of some kind of a once/week option for Prime members.  For example, we could keep adding on to a list throughout the week, and by Tuesday of each week, everything on that list would be sent, set to arrive on Thursday.  I think of all the times I order something and then the next day I remember something else and the next day something else.  So that's three separate deliveries, three separate boxes, triple the work at their end..think of all the gas and mileage and waste.  Yes, it's my own fault because I could make my own once/week list.  And I know the one-day/week option wouldn't guarantee that items will come in the same box from the same warehouse.  But it seems like with Amazon taking over basically everything, we need to rethink delivery options going forward and help them be more efficient. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hjffkj said:

That seems like an odd service.  I'd be all for it if Prime were cheaper, but at the price I'm paying now, I want 2 day shipping to mean 2 day shipping

As I've thought more about it, this is where I am with it as well.  If they decide to go to the once-a-week delivery option, they will need to make Prime quite a bit cheaper for me to find it worth it anymore.  I've had Prime since the very beginning.  If I am paying for 2-day service, I expect 2-day service (although I often don't get that anyway anymore).  I would not be happy to pay the current fee and think of something I need on Friday, but not be able to get it until the next Friday (if that was may chosen delivery day).

Hopefully, Amazon will offer two options for Prime-- a cheaper version for the people who don't mind once a week delivery and the regular two-day delivery for those of us who desire/require our things to arrive more quickly.

6 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

As I've thought more about it, this is where I am with it as well.  If they decide to go to the once-a-week delivery option, they will need to make Prime quite a bit cheaper for me to find it worth it anymore.  I've had Prime since the very beginning.  If I am paying for 2-day service, I expect 2-day service (although I often don't get that anyway anymore).  I would not be happy to pay the current fee and think of something I need on Friday, but not be able to get it until the next Friday (if that was may chosen delivery day).

Hopefully, Amazon will offer two options for Prime-- a cheaper version for the people who don't mind once a week delivery and the regular two-day delivery for those of us who desire/require our things to arrive more quickly.

Yeah, we currently use Prime for video streaming, unlimited music(this is new and only because dh hates his new work commute so this makes it a lot better,) and their audible streaming channels so it is quite nice.  But all of those are nice perks that I only use because I'm already paying for the free 2 day shipping. 

• Like 2

Speaking of Amazon, I got a physical catalog from Amazon yesterday. That's a first for me.

If anyone wants the $5 off $50 in select toy favorites  (see amazon.com/toydeal2018 for which toys) code that was included, PM me. First come, first gets. Expires 11/18 or while supplies last.

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Speaking of Amazon, I got a physical catalog from Amazon yesterday. That's a first for me.

If anyone wants the $5 off $50 in select toy favorites  (see amazon.com/toydeal2018 for which toys) code that was included, PM me. First come, first gets. Expires 11/18 or while supplies last.

I saw that stated on a deal blog, i haven't ever seen an Amazon catalog either.  Seems odd to me. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 6:35 PM, wilrunner said:

Prime shipping doesn't seem to be 2 day shipping anymore. We have a warehouse in our local area, but frequently my items take about a week to arrive.

I just canceled an order because the 2 day shipping with prime is 10 days out.  Called Amazon about it and the customer service rep said her guess is the weather.  ?

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I saw that stated on a deal blog, i haven't ever seen an Amazon catalog either.  Seems odd to me. 

From CNBC https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/amazon-begins-mailing-printed-holiday-toy-catalog.html

• Amazon is shipping its first-ever printed holiday toy catalog to millions of customers starting this month.
  • The catalog is roughly 70 pages long and comes with QR codes for many of the products featured.
  • It is Amazon's latest move to mimic traditional retailers.”

Since I moved to a large city, some of my packages come by private contractor. It's kind of cool in that at some times you can track (from the Amazon tracking page) how many stops away they are. I do try to watch not ordering anything of great value to be delivered that way. My apartment building is locked and the post office and UPS have keys, but not the private contractors. 

Another option I've been given is to have packages shipped to Whole Foods. The one near me is open 24 hours a day, so it would be ideal if I was ordering a higher value item.