Menu

WWYD - 17.5 year old tested positive for vaping

Pink and Green Mom

7 hours ago, Lizzie in Ma said:

Obviously if it affects his getting into a school, it is an issue right off the bat.

it is absolutely upsetting given the circumstances and repercussions for your son.  And I am sorry you are dealing with it alone at the moment.  I am very surprised that a school, public or private, would test for nicotine and I am truly sorry that it might be an issue for him getting into another school. 

However, for possible ease of mind as to the health risks...

Vaping is NOT smoking.  E-Cigarettes is a misnomer.  With the exception of having nicotine, they are nothing at all alike.

Nicotine is not the enemy, though it has been demonized.  There are many studies on it's effects and it's potential use in treating many neurological disorders. 

If it is of concern, this is a quick reference on some of the UK studies.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

Full disclosure, I smoked for years.  Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done.  Years later, I picked up ecigs under a time of great duress and continue to use them.  As to someone mentioning the expense, it is incredibly less expensive than smoking.  Back in the day, I smoked a pack and then some a day and I think a pack is like $10 now?  30 ml of low nicotine eliquid, which lasts me a month, can range from $7.99 to $30, a whole lot cheaper than the $300 plus it would cost me to still smoke cigarettes.  My lung and cardiac function are as as good now as that of a non-smoker. I would absolutely advocate for a smoker to use them to quit cancer sticks.

More disclosure, my 18 year old also vapes.  Thrilled about it?  No.  But it does help her anxiety and given what she's gone through, I am just glad it helps her.

(ducking now)

Yup. All this.

I hate smoking with a fiery passion. I would make it illegal in a heartbeat. Which is why I get kind of annoyed when people demonize vaping and say it's just like smoking.

Is vaping good for you? Probably not. You're breathing in fine particulate matter than can inflame your lungs, and of course nicotine is addictive. With that said, however, vaping is nowhere near as bad for a person as smoking. I don't vape, and I don't ever plan on vaping, but I would be so happy if every smoker in this country switched to vaping tomorrow, and they'd all be much healthier. The carcinogens in cigarette smoke simply aren't present in vape unless you heat the stuff up to a ridiculous temperature. And the secondhand vapor isn't nearly as bad as secondhand cigarette smoke. It's typically just propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and very low amounts of nicotine. Do I want anyone breathing that in? Hell no. In a perfect world we'd all breathe perfectly clean air. But if I have to choose between a child breathing vape or breathing secondhand smoke, I'll choose the vape every time. When we act like vaping is just as bad as smoking, we're dissuading smokers from switching to vaping, and that's a shame.

(I know all this because I have obsessive-compulsive disorder and environmental toxins are one of my triggers.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

<snip>

I guess really I am more worried about the suspension appearing on DS's school record and how that hurts his chances of being accepted into a private school.  Bad enough we had no choice but to move 600 miles away half way through his junior year (DH lost his job Nov. 2017 and we held it together for a year but we weren't going to make it past Christmas without a new job).  He isn't the most motivated student and I fear he will fall through the cracks in a huge public school in a new area, and homeschooling him is not an option (I couldn't make it work with him past 5th grade).  But, the chips fall where they may and he realized how dumb it was to do what he did so there is that.

<snip>

RE: The bolded.  IMO him going to a Public High School in another state IS NOT an option. He would probably have 2 options if he did that:  (1) Enroll in 9th grade or (2) Pass the required EOC (End of Course) examinations required in your new state.   He either needs to go to another Private School, if they will accept him and grant credit for the courses he has successfully completed, or, be Home Schooled, which you wrote is not an option.  Tell the truth on all applications or it will bite him in the rear.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lanny said:

RE: The bolded.  IMO him going to a Public High School in another state IS NOT an option. He would probably have 2 options if he did that:  (1) Enroll in 9th grade or (2) Pass the required EOC (End of Course) examinations required in your new state.   He either needs to go to another Private School, if they will accept him and grant credit for the courses he has successfully completed, or, be Home Schooled, which you wrote is not an option.  Tell the truth on all applications or it will bite him in the rear.

If the private school is accredited, most public schools will accept students with no issue. The reason why public high schools put homeschool students back to 9th grade is because they aren’t accredited. While some private schools aren’t accredited, I doubt that is the case here. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If the private school is accredited, most public schools will accept students with no issue. The reason why public high schools put homeschool students back to 9th grade is because they aren’t accredited. While some private schools aren’t accredited, I doubt that is the case here. 

Yes...  But...   If the new state is like Texas (the state I am familiar with) there is a State Law that specifies which courses must be taken and passed.  There are also required EOC (End of Course) examinations which must be passed. Without those 2 things, a Public High School in Texas, and I assume it is the same in most states, is prohibited by state law from issuing a high school diploma to a student.

I believe the above is correct, but obviously, the only important thing for the OP is to check out the law in the new state where they are going to live now.  And, hopefully, he can continue in another Private school.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do anything except tell him I'm disappointed. Then I'd let it go. In 6 months he will be an adult and will be making his own decisions. The school's consequences and the potential impact on college admissions would all be things that he'd have to deal with since he made the decision to vape. There isn't much you can do. 

• Like 1

I was telling dh about this thread and he reminded me that as 17/18 year olds we'd share cigarettes with our teachers! (We graduated this millennium btw!)

We didn't go on to be adult smokers or vapers.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around it being such a huge deal. I'm sorry & I  hope op and her son navigate through this with little lingering effects.

• Like 3

A potential issue for the DS involved here might be in the future, when he applies for employment or Security Clearances. He MUST tell the truth or it can come back to bite him in the rear. If he was suspended, even for only one day, and they ask about that, he MUST tell the truth. 

When I was in the 9th grade, during a class, someone came in (an F.B.I. Agent I think but they have people who do those investigations) to ask the Instructor about a student who had apparently been a student of his when he was in that High School. Apparently, he was applying to be an F.B.I Agent. He had given that Instructor as a Reference is my assumption.