Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

What's for Thanksgiving?

Anyone else planning? 

I need inspiration because right now I'm not feeling it, but I need to get the meat orders in. Smaller group this year. Only 8-12 of us. I'm extremely unmotivated and not feeling the cooking love. To the point that I"m considering buy trays of pre-done Mac N Cheese and Scalloped Potatoes from Sam's and having Dh put them on the smoker. I'm usually all about everything from scratch, even down to the bread for the stuffing, but not this year. 

Give me some inspiration! What's on your menu? 

Well, I had big plans...turkey, our favorite stuffing, 10 pounds of mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, green beans with almonds, possible some kind of squash dish, and our traditional seven pies (one for each person in the family). And then I broke my ankle this weekend, so now I'm not sure. I'm still going to do as much as I can, but I'm afraid some of the pies might end up on the chopping block. ?

• Sad 6

I have my menu partially planned. Here's what I've got so far. Plant-eaters here, so no meat. ?

Stuffed acorn squash with lentil mushroom wild rice pilaf

Oven roasted rosemary root vegetables

Mashed potatoes

Can't decide if I want to try a mushroom gravy or stick with my traditional veggie gravy

Corn jalapeno pudding

Pumpkin pie crumble

Carrot cake

Something chocolate

I'm still working on ideas for appetizers and a few more items for the meal.

• Like 4

My cousin is hosting. I assume I'm in charge of pies as I'm pretty much always in charge of pies.

Probably

Pecan x2

Apple

Cherry

Key Iime x2

Gooey Pumpkin Cake 

• Like 1

We are eating with Dh's family, but I will cook some over the holiday weekend because I love Thanksgiving dinner and cannotnstand to not have leftovers. We'll probably have a fairly simple turkey dinner with my mom on that Saturday or Sunday. Ds is making pecan and pumpkin pies from scratch for the large family gathering! 

My menu:

Pastured turkey (splurge, but SO worth it!) 

cornbread dressing

brussels sprouts

green beans or other veggie that Ds likes

pumpkin pie

apple pie

• Like 1

Right now turkey breast, stuffing and veggie. Homemade pumpkin pie. It will just be the 3 of us for the meal. We will visit family early in the day so she has extended family around. DH wants a quiet Thanksgiving.

Hopefully DD5 will eat the meal this year. Last time she did that she was under a year old.

She likes her food bland. Turkey breast lightly seasoned, maybe mac&cheese and raw veggies. She will eat the pumpkin pie sans crust. Loves whipped cream though.

• Like 1

It’s just me, dh, and ds this year, with the rest of the kids scattered all over, and family more than 1000 miles away. We’re going to have stuffed shells and I’ll make focaccia. And dessert.   That’s our typical Christmas meal so not sure if we’ll have that again or come up with something equally exciting. 

Yeah, we have friends who would have us over but it always feels weird to be ‘the visitors’ among a big family crowd.  We’d rather just be here. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

Well, I had big plans...turkey, our favorite stuffing, 10 pounds of mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, green beans with almonds, possible some kind of squash dish, and our traditional seven pies (one for each person in the family). And then I broke my ankle this weekend, so now I'm not sure. I'm still going to do as much as I can, but I'm afraid some of the pies might end up on the chopping block. ?

Ouch! Hope your ankle mends quickly. 

• Like 1

My kids don't like turkey for Thanksgiving (I miss a traditional Thanksgiving dinner!) so we do corned beef except for my son who is vegan.  

So...

Corned beef with whole wheat rolls and Italian rolls

Mashed potatoes 

Stuffing (I prefer homemade but the kids are just as happy with Stove Top and I'm too lazy to make it from scratch just for myself)

Cranberry sauce - canned and homemade

Carrots

Apple Pie

Chocolate chip pumpkin bread 

My vegan son will substitute the corned beef and mashed potatoes with a can of Amy's vegetarian chili over baked potatoes. 

• Like 1

We spend Thanksgiving with MIL. I'll be honest: the food is *so* gross. (Think of the dinner scene from National Lampoon Christmas Vacation. Seriously.)

I'm going to comfort myself by taking some desserts. Pumpkin cheesecake, perhaps. Maybe a cranberry-apple crumble. Maybe I'll take some appetizers, too (because the food is always hours late).

• Haha 4

If we were home, we'd do something like this (we will do this probably for Christmas Day):

• Soak turkey in buttermilk overnight and roast with liberal herbs, sea salt, pepper and who knows what we can throw on that bird.
  • Mashed potatoes with cream cheese
  • Yams with marshmallows
  • Cranberry sauce (made from cranberries, not out of the can) 
  • Some other veggie (waiting on inspiration here as well)
  • Pumpkin pie and apple pie or pecan pie
  • We also usually have some kind of chocolate dessert.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

We're having the "traditional" dinner the day after, at ds34 house--turkey, etc.  So they will cook most of it and we will take some sides and desserts.  Not sure what yet.  Ddil just leaves it up to me.

So, on Thanksgiving day, we are having Mexican food.  Not sure of what yet, but I have had a request for tamales and chicken tortilla soup.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

If we were home, we'd do something like this (we will do this probably for Christmas Day):

• Soak turkey in buttermilk overnight and roast with liberal herbs, sea salt, pepper and who knows what we can throw on that bird.
  • Mashed potatoes with cream cheese
  • Yams with marshmallows
  • Cranberry sauce (made from cranberries, not out of the can) 
  • Some other veggie (waiting on inspiration here as well)
  • Pumpkin pie and apple pie or pecan pie
  • We also usually have some kind of chocolate dessert.

I've never heard of soaking a turkey in buttermilk! Would you share details?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrsMommy said:

I've never heard of soaking a turkey in buttermilk! Would you share details?

Oh, it's absolutely wonderful. I also soak chicken in buttermilk overnight or at least for 5 hours or so before roasting. It makes it more tender and not so stringy even if your oven temp fluctuates and my oven is pretty old.

Plop bird into a container and liberally pour buttermilk over it. Let sit in fridge overnight. Rinse off buttermilk and roast as you would normally.  ?

• Like 5

Whatever Maggiano’s Little Italy has on the menu!

I realize that is not in the spirit of your post but this is my first Thanksgiving ever in a restaurant and the first time not making a turkey since I was 22 years old (I’m 44!) I never thought I would be a Thanksgiving in a restaurant type of mom but my 18 yo ds has to work at his college job- 500 miles from home so we are going to him. I thought about trying to cook Thanksgiving dinner in our Air BnB but just makes reservations instead. It will be different but life with adult children involves flexibility ?

• Like 4

My sister usually does the big spread. She loves doing it and refuses any help. She and I are thinking of doing a de-boned turkey this year as one of the birds. I already practiced. It would have gone better if I had had the right kind of boning knife, but I only had my normal all-purpose Cutco. The bird tasted great though. It was the first time my bird didn't bounce (I kid you not) after cooking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

We spend Thanksgiving with MIL. I'll be honest: the food is *so* gross. (Think of the dinner scene from National Lampoon Christmas Vacation. Seriously.)

I'm going to comfort myself by taking some desserts. Pumpkin cheesecake, perhaps. Maybe a cranberry-apple crumble. Maybe I'll take some appetizers, too (because the food is always hours late).

Don’t forget wine!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I agreed to invite both my side of the family and DH's this year.  I am kind of regretting it at the moment because I am feeling overwhelmed with so much other stuff going on in life.  I have tried to think of something different than the usual, but I know if I do something too nontraditional it would not go over well.  I also have to take into account food allergies and intolerance.  I will likely have something like:

Turkey

Mashed potatoes

Fruit salad (my mom is bringing this)

Sweet potatoes

Stuffing

Rolls

Cranberry sauce

Veggie tray

Desserts: I really enjoy making pies so we will have pumpkin, and key lime for sure, then I am considering what else to make, probably apple or possibly a cheesecake.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Whatever Maggiano’s Little Italy has on the menu!

I realize that is not in the spirit of your post but this is my first Thanksgiving ever in a restaurant and the first time not making a turkey since I was 22 years old (I’m 44!) I never thought I would be a Thanksgiving in a restaurant type of mom but my 18 yo ds has to work at his college job- 500 miles from home so we are going to him. I thought about trying to cook Thanksgiving dinner in our Air BnB but just makes reservations instead. It will be different but life with adult children involves flexibility ?

If you’re eating in the Chicago Maggiano’s and want to do something in addition to eating, I think the Christkindl Market is open.

We’re also dining out at a place that makes amazing roasted Brussels sprouts. It’s all you can eat, so I might just have to eat all of them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

If you’re eating in the Chicago Maggiano’s and want to do something in addition to eating, I think the Christkindl Market is open.

We’re also dining out at a place that makes amazing roasted Brussels sprouts. It’s all you can eat, so I might just have to eat all of them. 

That sounds good but we are headed to Florida! At least we should have good weather. It won’t feel like Thanksgiving in a few different ways but we’ll have all the kids together so we’ll take it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Oh, it's absolutely wonderful. I also soak chicken in buttermilk overnight or at least for 5 hours or so before roasting. It makes it more tender and not so stringy even if your oven temp fluctuates and my oven is pretty old.

Plop bird into a container and liberally pour buttermilk over it. Let sit in fridge overnight. Rinse off buttermilk and roast as you would normally.  ?

OK, now I have to try this. Does the buttermilk need to cover the bird?

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

OK, now I have to try this. Does the buttermilk need to cover the bird?

Yes, I pour it over to cover the whole bird but the bird does not need to swim in it.  ☺️

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

That sounds good but we are headed to Florida! At least we should have good weather. It won’t feel like Thanksgiving in a few different ways but we’ll have all the kids together so we’ll take it.

Even better! Florida is so beautiful.

26 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

My sister usually does the big spread. She loves doing it and refuses any help. She and I are thinking of doing a de-boned turkey this year as one of the birds. I already practiced. It would have gone better if I had had the right kind of boning knife, but I only had my normal all-purpose Cutco. The bird tasted great though. It was the first time my bird didn't bounce (I kid you not) after cooking.

You cannot leave us wondering about your bouncing turkey. Details, por favor?

Steaks, potatoes, and salad have been our go-to for years.

I'm super sad that we're going visiting this year, and will be missing steak for turkey, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, my ILs will expect to spend it with us, which is fine, but I’m always the last to hear about plans. It takes them a while to finalize theirs and then they communicate to dh, who may or may not give me any details. I’m going to assume I’m cooking since MIL is currently out of town recovering from spinal surgery. 

They need dairy free/gluten free, but I hopefully she can prepare some side dishes so I won’t have to worry about my food all being compliant. 

I'm thinking of trying a cranberry-clementine meringue pie. (As a riff on lemon meringue). 

• Like 1

We'll do a smoked turkey. Tastes great and the house doesn't smell of turkey all day long.

Pumpkin pie

Cheeseball - we break into this the night before, and then continue to snack on it

Cranberry sauce or chutney

Some sort of braised red cabbage

Tater tots. I don't feel like putting myself out for a traditional potato dish when my family's not even that into potatoes.

We sometimes do green bean casserole, but the thought of it makes me ill, so I'll skip that this year. I'm feeling a little tired of cooking. I considered just going to a restaurant, but the only reservation slot was roughly my kids' bedtime. I think this menu might strike the right balance of traditional, easy, small (it's just the five of us) and kid-friendly.

• Like 1

I don't know.  I am frustrated with Thanksgiving this year.  We told everyone in our family that we wanted to host this year.....told them that over a year ago.  We hosted for over a decade before we had to sell our house and couldn't host in our previous rental, but we have room here.  But apparently the drive is too much...........never mind how much we drive to see everyone else.

Anyway....it looks like my sister won't be coming, and my brother has neither confirmed or declined, but he's not likely to show.  So, I don't know what to assign to folks, or how many people to plan for.

We will cook the turkey.  DH will be smoking it.  In addition to turkey, we usually have mashed taters, a sweet potato casserole, stuffing, cranberries with pineapple, 2 different steamed veggies, rolls, and pies-usually pumpkin, apple, cherry, and chocolate.  And usually there's some sort of appetizer or two-cheeseball with crackers, veggie tray, etc.  

But, since I don't know who is coming I don't know what to assign to who.  

• Sad 1

Traditional and simple.  Turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato cAsserole, mashed potatoes, peas, rolls,  cranberry sauce.  Apple and cherry pie 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

Steaks, potatoes, and salad have been our go-to for years.

I'm super sad that we're going visiting this year, and will be missing steak for turkey, lol. 

When we are home steak is our tradition  but dd asked for traditional dinner with a whole turkey. I told her only  if she helped cook. She said she would.   

On 11/5/2018 at 9:28 AM, Selkie said:

I have my menu partially planned. Here's what I've got so far. Plant-eaters here, so no meat. ?

Stuffed acorn squash with lentil mushroom wild rice pilaf

Oven roasted rosemary root vegetables

Mashed potatoes

Can't decide if I want to try a mushroom gravy or stick with my traditional veggie gravy

Corn jalapeno pudding

Pumpkin pie crumble

Carrot cake

Something chocolate

I'm still working on ideas for appetizers and a few more items for the meal.

Do you cater or at least share a recipe or two?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I'm thinking of trying a cranberry-clementine meringue pie. (As a riff on lemon meringue). 

That sounds delicious! Would you share the recipe?

• Like 1

Not pre-reading the thread, this time, hoping that's okay on this topic, LOL! 

We're having MIL & SIL (and their families) over, so total of 11 of us. DH is smoking a turkey, we'll heat up a spiral ham from the store, and that will cover the meat. 

MIL is bringing Mexican rice, and the cornbread stuffing/dressing, and a peach cobbler/peach pie.

SIL is bringing mashed potatoes, against my better judgement (mine are better, but she's pickier, so she gets to make them her way), canned cranberry sauce (to go alongside our homemade one), pumpkin pie.....and I think that's it, but I need to double check with DH. She may also be bringing the sweet potatoes....(again, because picky.....). 

I will make roasted carrots,  roasted brussel sprouts with bacon & cranberries, some kind of bread, assorted appetizers I haven't narrowed down yet, and DH will make apple pie, and we'll make some other kind of dessert(s) as well. DS will make deviled eggs. We will probably end up with some kind of salad &/or fruit/veggie tray also, and maybe get a cheese assortment from our local cheese shop, but not sure. Our family does it for Christmas, so we may not do it for Thanksgiving also. 

We'll have water, iced tea, sparkling cider, coffee, wine, and a spiced cider/wine/thingy for drinks. (well, and probably sodas, beer, etc. also....). 

I have lots I'd love to make.....but the people we celebrate with all like Super Traditional over Creative and More Healthy & Delicious, so.....I just remind myself it's all about the family togetherness (for me), while for them it really is about the food, so I'll defer to their food needs and only play around with the "non-sacred" dishes. 

• Like 1

So far our tentative menu is this:
Smoked turkey breast
Cranberry-orange sauce
Butternut squash risotto
Green beans sauteed with almonds and garlic
Spinach salad with cranberry, walnuts, and feta
Macaroni & cheese
Pumpkin pie
Pot de creme (for the pumpkin pie haters)

Thankfully most don't take the oven or can be made ahead of time, so we'll have a nice leisurely day before a 5pm meal.

• Like 2

Typical.

Roast Turkey, GF stuffing, green beans, squash, mashed potatoes and GF gravy, fresh fruit, pumpkin pie for those that eat it.

Two of the college boys who are dorm dwellers begged for a traditional dinner.

• Like 1

Our plans are a little uncertain. We're tied up this weekend with the funeral, etc. of a dear friend as is the family that hosted us last year, and they have a grandbaby coming very soon, so I'm not sure what the plan is right now. We had talked about doing Thanksgiving together this upcoming weekend, but that's off now.

I've told mine that we likely will get a smoked turkey breast from a local barbeque place, and then I'll make the traditional sides but gluten free. Another family invited us on Thanksgiving Day, but I have to go to work that afternoon (ah, retail), so we probably will just do our own for lunch and then chill. 

• Like 1

I haven't got my assignments yet but it usually is: apps, starches, desserts, gravy

SIL does Turkey and veggies.

Last year, I made the "cheeseball decorated to look like a turkey" and one of my kids pulled out the whole head, neck, face ensemble and popped it in his mouth. 

Unfortunately, I had made the eyes out of paper, the only non-food part.

LOL

"Idea to eliminate garbage: edible paper!" Anyone remember that line from the movie Night Shift?!

• Haha 4

I host Thanksgiving for DH’s family and we have between 25-30. We are very traditional  - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Do you have a recipe for that?

We’re going my parents this year with ds and ds’ gf.  There will be 6 of us.  My plan *was* to do all appetizers, chicken wings, etc.   Ds doesn’t want that, sooooooo traditional it is because he’s a turd.  (Kidding...)  

Turkey breast (is that enough for 6 people??

green bean casserole (we’ve never had this before, but it’s gf’s favorite, so wish me luck)

dressing

Mac ‘n cheese

field peas

asparagus

maybe a small thing of sweet potato soufflé for my parents and me. No one else likes it.  

Some type of sweet...  

liquor (yes, that get it’s own category)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elfknitter.# said:

We'll be home this year! :biggrin: (normally we're at MILs)

One thing I miss from my childhood that a relative would make was oyster dressing. I want to make it this year. Unfortunately, I don't have her recipe but this is somewhat similar: https://emerils.com/121366/new-orleans-oyster-dressing

My aunt makes this every year.  Are you from the south, too?  I’ve heard it’s a southern thing, but maybe not.  

Ps. I *think* I have her recipe, so if you want me to share it with you, let me know.  I can check my recipes in the morning. 

I think we will do

venison prime rib

vegan pumpkin pie

apple pie

homemade bread

vegan green bean casserole

salad

cranberry sauce (very simple one, just cranberries and sugar and maybe lemon)

roasted potatoes and turnips

• Like 1

I haven't gotten my assignment yet but I figure it will be deviled eggs & pies and maybe pasta. I just go with the flow as long as they tell me several days in advance. 

But did find out that the family won't be celebrating on Thanksgiving day. SIL will be with her family. So we will be celebrating on a different day.  Fine with that too.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

If you need a laugh, here’s Aunt Marney’s famous letter.  

https://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/11/26/awkward-family-story-the-thanksgiving-letter/

This is funny!  Is there a back story to it?  I have never read it before.  Though I sure would like to read some letters written by her.

Edit:  there is a video of her being interviewed after the letter that I didn't see at first.....it is interesting to watch.

Edited by peacelovehomeschooling