Menu

A site similar to Common Sense Media?

Sometimes I’ll just google “age recommendation for xyz book” if I want to look for a specific title. 

“The Read Aloud Handbook” by Jim Trelease or “Honey for a Child’s Heart” by Gladys Hunt are a couple more resources if  you don’t want to have to look up a book online. Honey is from a Christian perspective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mergath said:

There's the Scholastic Book Wizard: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bookwizard/

I think I'm missing something, though. Is there a reason you can't use Common Sense Media and are looking for something else instead? CSM probably has more of everything than any other similar website.

I love CSM. Just sometimes it doesn't have what I'm searching for. I've found it really helpful in a lot of cases. It's a bit on the conservative side for me, but the content descriptions are factual and then I can just make up my own mind about suitable age.

I'm just hoping for other places to search for if CSM doesn't have a review of a particular book.

Thanks for the link - much appreciated!

• Like 2

Thanks folks. This is all really helpful.

The tricky thing is that I'm not just wanting to check on children's or YA fiction. I'd like to be able to look up adult fiction books too (eg John Grisham, Harlan Coben, Dan Brown etc) and see a factual rundown of content.

I think I've still got a couple of years before I can set her free to read anything, but right now her reading is adult level and her tastes in books are maturing. She loved the complexity of Origin by Dan Brown, but I just don't have the time to pre-read everything.

For adult fiction, I'm finding that putting the terms 'clean read' into a search can sometimes be helpful.

It's great to have an avid reader, but this is a tricky age/stage.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thanks folks. This is all really helpful.

The tricky thing is that I'm not just wanting to check on children's or YA fiction. I'd like to be able to look up adult fiction books too (eg John Grisham, Harlan Coben, Dan Brown etc) and see a factual rundown of content.

I think I've still got a couple of years before I can set her free to read anything, but right now her reading is adult level and her tastes in books are maturing. She loved the complexity of Origin by Dan Brown, but I just don't have the time to pre-read everything.

For adult fiction, I'm finding that putting the terms 'clean read' into a search can sometimes be helpful.

It's great to have an avid reader, but this is a tricky age/stage.

I haven’t come across anything factual for books directed toward adults. Sometimes the 1 and 2 star reviews on Goodreads or Amazon will reveal helpful information  because some people will automatically mark the book low for language or sexual content especially if the book tends to be marketed toward a younger audience, but not always. 

There is Honey for a Teens Heart, but I’ve never read it. I assume it is from a Christian perspective.

The blog Modern Mrs. Darcy gives reviews that typically mention potentially objectionable content for adults, that may be a good starting place for you. If you found someone on Goodreads you trust, you could follow their reviews. It is hard when your kids want to read more mature content!

• Like 1