Menu

Adding a bluetooth type device for speaker phone calls and playing music?

DawnM

I got a new to me car this past summer.  It is a car I had been wanting for years and DH finally agreed to let me get a used one when my cousin was selling hers and we knew the car's history, etc.....and I puffy heart LOVE this car!  

But, it doesn't have bluetooth.  ? (yeah, I know, first world problems)

Can I get something like this:  

https://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Smartphones/dp/B018E0I01I/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541251699&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=bluetooth+fm+transmitter+for+car&psc=1

Do these work the same way (make calls over the speaker, play Pandora, etc...???)

I really don't know much about them.

Thanks.

We have something like that to play music from Hoopla in our 13 year old Corolla. It pairs to a cellphone and uses one of the FM channels.

No idea whether it works for making phone calls as my husband just park and take the call if it’s urgent. My phone is loud enough on speaker phone mode.

The problem with blue tooth and gps is that you can lose a few words of your directions while the thing wakes up between turns. Dh has one of those suction cup shower dot things. It’s great and only about $20.  It’s fine for a continuous signal like music or a phone call, but the on-and-off nature of turn-by-turn directions means we sometimes miss the first word or two. 

I just use an aux cord. 

I probably wouldn't use it for GPS, but I talk to one of my BFFs every morning on the way to works and even though I use speaker, it isn't as good at all.  My other car does have bluetooth and I love the hands free and using the car speakers for volume.

And no, I am not replacing the car stereo at this time.  I don't have a good reason to and since I just got a car and a new computer, it really is low on my cost priorities at the moment.

I don’t know about the bluetooth aspect, but dh got me one of the things you can plug in that is supposed to allow you to access the phone over a radio station. I think the one you linked basically works the same way. The problem we found is that it has to be a radio station that has no other signal, and in the busy area we live in there are literally no stations that it will work with. When we’ve traveled and there are areas with very few radio stations it works great but it just won’t work around her.