Menu

Human Anatomy For A Squeemish Child

So my visual child ironically doesn't tolerate visuals of human anatomy--it grosses her out. We worked with a 'Squishy Body' kit & talked about the body parts as we put the model back together (she liked it). What other resources can I use to teach basic anatomy/systems that don't rley heavily on graphics? 

On another note, we periodically learn about reproduction & she's kind of phasing out of 'cartoon' books on the subject (moving in the opposite direction from above, LOL). She's only 9 so I'm looking for more realistic resources on the subject that are not too overwhelming. 

What would you think of something like this?

https://www.discoverbooks.com/The-Human-Body-A-First-Discovery-Book-Sylvaine-P-p/0590738763.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2vvhk-i33gIVEYCRCh2ulQ87EAQYBSABEgJqCPD_BwE

Squeamishness can vary, so I'm not sure how your daughter would feel about this.  My daughter has fears about anything that seems dead or reminds her of death, and yet she can watch a video of open heart surgery.  (The surgery was successful;  the person lived.)  Just hearing me describe the video was almost too much for my husband, and yet for my daughter, who cannot tolerate a five year old saying he's a "zombie," was fine with it.  (Of course, my husband loves zombies.)

The reason I suggest the book is that the pictures, while showing body systems pretty realistically, are a prettier than some.  The pictures are all of the child on the cover (except the pages about skin and hair, which show similarly cute children with variations in skin and hair color).  The pretty drawings of the child might be better for your daughter than some of the pictures of adults I have seen in anatomy books.

The book is for younger children, but it really does have a lot of detailed labels in it.  We've had it for a long time, and my daughter enjoyed it from the time she was four, but there are details in it that a child in the targeted age group will not take the time to memorize, while you could have your daughter do so.  The fact that the intended reader is young may be the reason that a pretty style of drawing was chosen.

The book contains very little about reproduction.  I don't have a good one for that yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...