Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Better than Expo dry erase markers?

I need to replenish the dry erase marker supply. We've been using Expo fine points, and they work okay, but the tips smush out pretty quickly, especially with young kids using them, which then makes them not work as well.  I'd like to find something that keeps the fine tip a little better and erases. I've been looking through Amazon but figured I'd ask here to get a "using them with kids" specific answer. 

What's your favorite? 

My kids like the Crayola fine point dry erase markers, but I think the colors are kind of blah. They are fun for drawing pictures on the white board, but I prefer Expo for writing on our laminated schedules. 

• Like 1

Huh,  I've found Expos are the best at keeping their tips. We love the ultra fine point ones even our 5 year old loves them but we have been on him since he was three to not press hard when he writes with them. We bought the set we have earlier this year (I'm thinking it was February or March maybe) and they are still working great.

For preschoolers still learning how to be gentle with dry erase markers, I like the Dollar Tree dry erase markers. I don't feel as bad when they smash the tips or leave the caps off when they only cost $1 for 4 or 5 of them.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1

For what you pay, Dollar Tree dry erase markers work very well. I get them for my littles. Their quality is quite surprising. They are darker than what I've experienced with Crayolas dry erase. If the stationery gods are smiling on you, you might even be able to pick up a pack of rainbow dry erase markers at Dollar Tree. I have found them once, and keep looking without any luck, so I just get the standard black, blue and red.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm really partial to these U Brands Magnetic Double End Dry Erase Markers, Assorted Colors 6ct  They're from walmart. I just opened a pack of those Expo fine tips, and I agree they would mash down with kids. I'm going to use them myself to put up all ds' tasks for the day. But for diagramming sentences, math, etc., the bigger markers are better. They aren't chisel tip but more of a broad tip marker, meaning they make a reasonably fine line. I like 'em. 

• Thanks 1

I have been using Quartet Enduraglide dry erase markers this year. The tips seem to be holding out, if I store them upside down they do get a little leaky. 

C51523B7-F289-4E52-8FFF-B96BE9B5FB64.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like these from the Markerboard people:   http://www.dryerase.com/markers

I think the prices are reasonable and they don't smash down like some and they have no smell.   If you don't want to buy 30 at a time, perhaps you can share an order with a friend.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2018 at 10:38 PM, ***** said:

I think the prices are reasonable and they don't smash down like some and they have no smell.   If you don't want to buy 30 at a time, perhaps you can share an order with a friend.  

Thanks for this recommendation. I am going to give them a try.

• Like 1

My order came in yesterday. I also ordered some of their bargain bin dry erase boards. Dd and I just did math. Gosh, I wish Imhad these years ago. I ordered the base 10 grid and the graphing grid boards (and the USA map.) The boards are awesome. The graphing board is perfect for alg. I can see that the base 10 grid is perfect for long division and keeping those columns straight.  (

I really like the markers, too. Great tips with ability to write smaller. Also, not as much "erase junk." 

http://www.dryerase.com/seconds 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My order came in yesterday. I also ordered some of their bargain bin dry erase boards. Dd and I just did math. Gosh, I wish Imhad these years ago. I ordered the base 10 grid and the graphing grid boards (and the USA map.) The boards are awesome. The graphing board is perfect for alg. I can see that the base 10 grid is perfect for long division and keeping those columns straight.  (

I really like the markers, too. Great tips with ability to write smaller. Also, not as much "erase junk." 

http://www.dryerase.com/seconds 

Ok good to hear because mine should arrive today ?. I only ordered markers though. I might need to look into those others soon. 

Edited by texasmom33

We''re good with cheap fine tip dry erase markers.  As a pp said. Dollar Tree is good    For wide though, we like Expo.  

On 11/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, ***** said:

Mine came today. They're great- I love the way they write! Thanks for the rec. ?

• Like 1

In case anyone is interested- new low odor Expo fine points versus new low odor The Markerboard People medium tips. 

The purple Markerboard People is the finest tip of them all, and the MBP markers have much harder tips than the Expos do straight out of the box. Now if they last a decent amount of time they'll be a bargain. I got 30 for $15 with the Sale @8FillTheHeart mentioned upthread. They're made in the USA too. 

fullsizeoutput_1cca.thumb.jpeg.bcaad176eb694fc977ea764edca6423d.jpeg

Edited by texasmom33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

In case anyone is interested- new low odor Expo fine points versus new low odor The Markerboard People medium tips. 

The purple Markerboard People is the finest tip of them all, and the MBP markers have much harder tips than the Expos do straight out of the box. Now if they last a decent amount of time they'll be a bargain. I got 30 for $15 with the Sale @8FillTheHeart mentioned upthread. They're made in the USA too. 

fullsizeoutput_1cca.thumb.jpeg.bcaad176eb694fc977ea764edca6423d.jpeg

You should post a picture of the "erased gunk" for each of those. One thing I noticed right away and really appreciated was the reduced amt of gunk. I really disliked the expo mess after erasing the board multiple times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

You should post a picture of the "erased gunk" for each of those. One thing I noticed right away and really appreciated was the reduced amt of gunk. I really disliked the expo mess after erasing the board multiple times.

I can't get a picture where it shows up, but yes- the MBP ones definitely seem to erase more cleanly.

I am super excited that they had map boards and graphing boards! I've been wanting them but all I could find was really expensive! These were affordable!

• Like 1

I only use ones like the Quartet linked above. I won't even try anything else at this point. I've had some bad tips on some of them (but good on others, I think it's the place they lack quality control), but they last longer and keep their color longer, which is more important to me than a perfect tip.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 11:29 AM, Farrar said:

I only use ones like the Quartet linked above. I won't even try anything else at this point. I've had some bad tips on some of them (but good on others, I think it's the place they lack quality control), but they last longer and keep their color longer, which is more important to me than a perfect tip.

I liked the Quartet’s when I used them back at work, but the fumes always got to me so I never tried them at home.