Menu

What's with the ads?

hjffkj

November Frugalistas

10 hours ago, frogger said:

Another frugal fail, the Pacific plate took out some dishes a bunch of canned smoke salmon, some sauces, and a bunch of spices which I'd just stocked up on. 😞Lots of cracks in my sheetrock, broken toilet where it cracked porcelian trying to jump away, and the one bookcase that I failed to attach to a wall because it was there "temporarily" was busted to pieces (Yes, I know better, all other bookcases are securely attached to studs) and the deck will need replaced but it could have been worse so I'm thankful nothing major. 

Hopefully, I'll get back to getting on top of my budget now!

I'm sorry, frogger. Do you still have power and utilities otherwise? 

Oh no! Glad everyone is ok at least. 

I left a light on in the car this week but luckily didn’t kill the battery. 

I talked Dh out of a new PC. Cyber deals plus his employee discount with one of the computer places. I said yes it’s a decent deal but look at our medical bills. I showed him a run down of our bills and he put the computer idea on hold. He briefly tried to talk me into working ft and I made it clear I’m not seeking FT work until dd is school age. I explained how I feel and how it’s always me pulled in 100 directions. I said I can barely hold down my little part time tutoring gig. I’m sick of having to adjust my availability around the family and sure dd likes going to the sitter sometimes but if it was all day every day she might miss being home. The other child her age is not there every day. I told Dh if we lived closer to the mall or such I would have considered seasonal work but it’s just not practical. I could tutor 3 days a week but it’s just not practical (wear and tear on car plus gas money). I’m working with at least 3 kids on a typical night and have to divide attention between them as they all have the same homework. We work as a group, but clearly some need more one on one help. They are short-handed so I know I could pick up shifts but it’s just not feasible. Anyway I made my stance clear and he is struggling to be content with limiting himself. We’re paying off furniture, college loan, medical bills that are not applicable to the current flex spending card cycle, and new car. Do not need to finance a PC right now. He still wants to go back to school for another degree, too. 

He wants to grocery shop today. I said honestly we could wait. I could just pick up milk and drinks after church locally on Sunday. But he created a pick up order for Sam’s Club 45 min away. I think it’s fubny how he wanted me to switch back to the local church to save on gas but he does this type of thing. I haven’t had a chance to pick a name off the angel tree at the other church. I never pick the really expensive lists so it’s not too much money.  I doubt the building will be unlocked or I’d go in there tonight. Some of my students’ families may be on the tree. The tree is made up of many from the trailer park where I tutor. 

Dd was invited to a party/gift exchange at the sitters home. I might let her go but my first thought was oh another gift lol I can get something affordable though.

57 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm sorry, frogger. Do you still have power and utilities otherwise? 

Yes, we live in Alaska to another poster.

I haven't heard of a single person who had power after the quake but Alaska is used to earthquakes and the crews moved amazingly fast. We also know to be prepared with food and backup heat and cooking fuel.

I really did ok considering. Everything I didn't like about the house, in regards to earthquakes, was what went wrong so really I already knew, like the brick around the chimney. I hated it and reminded my kids they needed to get away from it if they heard or felt a quake coming ever since we moved here.

We couldn't build our own because the kids were soon to be teens and I figured they would be moved out before we finished. I do pay for special insurance for the structure but it only covers a percentage and I'm not sure what they'll cover or if it's worth pursuing.

We will have to pay for water testing too since earthquakes can shift underground water sources but we will wait until things settle down. 

Edited by frogger
Strange spelling
  • Like 2

Picked insurance and went with the expensive again instead of the HSA.  I never know if that is the right choice or not.  It would have saved us $200 a month going with the HSA, but then if you  have health issues that isn't saved.  I hate making these choices because how the heck are you supposed to know what the year will hold for your whole family. 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:29 PM, mommyoffive said:

Picked insurance and went with the expensive again instead of the HSA.  I never know if that is the right choice or not.  It would have saved us $200 a month going with the HSA, but then if you  have health issues that isn't saved.  I hate making these choices because how the heck are you supposed to know what the year will hold for your whole family. 

I miss the days of dh having insurance through work.  Lost his job(place closed) and now working where insurance isn't offered.

I am very thankful he has a job.  They are hard to come by nowdays but man I miss the insurance and yeah the pay too (took a HUGE pay cut with job loss)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baseball mom said:

I miss the days of dh having insurance through work.  Lost his job(place closed) and now working where insurance isn't offered.

I am very thankful he has a job.  They are hard to come by nowdays but man I miss the insurance and yeah the pay too (took a HUGE pay cut with job loss)

Sending some hugs.  Do you buy insurance through the market place then? 

On 12/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, frogger said:

Yes, we live in Alaska to another poster.

I haven't heard of a single person who had power after the quake but Alaska is used to earthquakes and the crews moved amazingly fast. We also know to be prepared with food and backup heat and cooking fuel.

I really did ok considering. Everything I didn't like about the house, in regards to earthquakes, was what went wrong so really I already knew, like the brick around the chimney. I hated it and reminded my kids they needed to get away from it if they heard or felt a quake coming ever since we moved here.

We couldn't build our own because the kids were soon to be teens and I figured they would be moved out before we finished. I do pay for special insurance for the structure but it only covers a percentage and I'm not sure what they'll cover or if it's worth pursuing.

We will have to pay for water testing too since earthquakes can shift underground water sources but we will wait until things settle down. 

I'm sorry, frogger. The earthquake insurance here has such a high deductible that it's really only catastrophic coverage. We have it, and flood insurance too, since mudslides are covered under flood insurance and not earthquake insurance....but it's not helpful when situations like yours pop up. Hopefully you can get everything lined up for repairs quickly.  When we lived in hurricane country there were wait lists over a year long for roofers and other key trades.

Are you guys doing ok with being able to still get gasoline, etc.? I know there were starting to be some shortages on perishables at the grocery store---not sure if that was due to concerns about stuff being able to make it in to the ports or if people were acting out of fear or if people were just re-stocking....  

3 hours ago, Baseball mom said:

Same. Well, the new employer does have a plan, but it’s super duper unaffordable. They don’t pay well enough to have employees that can afford the insurance. 

We get ours through the marketplace. There’s one provider with three options. We picked the HSA one since dh already had one set up from his previous employment. We should be able to put away the premium savings to pay max out of pocket from the HSA. Hopefully it works. We’ll never build up anything in the HSA due to DHs medical expenses, but I think it will save us a little bit of money. 

Ps- this kind of thing is what makes me irate when I hear that the economy is booming. I almost wonder if employers are cutting benefits and COL raises and bonuses and getting rid of people just before thier 401(k) vests just to show good profits. Blah. (Sorry for the commentary). 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm sorry, frogger. The earthquake insurance here has such a high deductible that it's really only catastrophic coverage. We have it, and flood insurance too, since mudslides are covered under flood insurance and not earthquake insurance....but it's not helpful when situations like yours pop up. Hopefully you can get everything lined up for repairs quickly.  When we lived in hurricane country there were wait lists over a year long for roofers and other key trades.

Are you guys doing ok with being able to still get gasoline, etc.? I know there were starting to be some shortages on perishables at the grocery store---not sure if that was due to concerns about stuff being able to make it in to the ports or if people were acting out of fear or if people were just re-stocking....  

I'm very thankful that the Port had only minor damage. In our town most stores had to close because of safety issues. All the goods had fallen on the floor, ceiling tiles had come down etc. You can't have customers crawling over broken glass. Unsafe goods, of course,  can't be sold. 

At least one school will not be reopened this school year so I'm not sure if the district will move them to other schools, add portables or what. I actually continued on with a scheduled trip I had planned. Partly because I was able to check for gas and water issues before leaving and able to help a couple other people at least a little and partly because I really don't want anyone sleeping in my home until an engineer looks it over. So we are out of state now and scheduling inspections and stuff from afar. Also, my husband has an office here and will be able to do some work which he couldn't do at home as his building was deemed unsafe and evacuated for now. Also, the less people on the roads the better until things get fixed a little more but DOT and utilities and others have done a really good job. 

Alaska is prepared for stuff like this since it went through the second biggest earthquake ever recorded in the world back in 1964. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, frogger said:

I'm very thankful that the Port had only minor damage. In our town most stores had to close because of safety issues. All the goods had fallen on the floor, ceiling tiles had come down etc. You can't have customers crawling over broken glass. Unsafe goods, of course,  can't be sold. 

At least one school will not be reopened this school year so I'm not sure if the district will move them to other schools, add portables or what. I actually continued on with a scheduled trip I had planned. Partly because I was able to check for gas and water issues before leaving and able to help a couple other people at least a little and partly because I really don't want anyone sleeping in my home until an engineer looks it over. So we are out of state now and scheduling inspections and stuff from afar. Also, my husband has an office here and will be able to do some work which he couldn't do at home as his building was deemed unsafe and evacuated for now. Also, the less people on the roads the better until things get fixed a little more but DOT and utilities and others have done a really good job. 

Alaska is prepared for stuff like this since it went through the second biggest earthquake recorded back in 64. 

Oh wow.

I think you are doing the right thing about not having anyone in your home until it is  looked at but what a headache.  I hope you get to go home soon. 

21 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Same. Well, the new employer does have a plan, but it’s super duper unaffordable. They don’t pay well enough to have employees that can afford the insurance. 

We get ours through the marketplace. There’s one provider with three options. We picked the HSA one since dh already had one set up from his previous employment. We should be able to put away the premium savings to pay max out of pocket from the HSA. Hopefully it works. We’ll never build up anything in the HSA due to DHs medical expenses, but I think it will save us a little bit of money. 

Ps- this kind of thing is what makes me irate when I hear that the economy is booming. I almost wonder if employers are cutting benefits and COL raises and bonuses and getting rid of people just before thier 401(k) vests just to show good profits. Blah. (Sorry for the commentary). 

I am pretty sure we should have done what you did, pick the HSA.  I am already regretting it.  If you have a good year you save with it.