Menu

November Frugalistas

hjffkj

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm sorry, frogger. The earthquake insurance here has such a high deductible that it's really only catastrophic coverage. We have it, and flood insurance too, since mudslides are covered under flood insurance and not earthquake insurance....but it's not helpful when situations like yours pop up. Hopefully you can get everything lined up for repairs quickly.  When we lived in hurricane country there were wait lists over a year long for roofers and other key trades.

Are you guys doing ok with being able to still get gasoline, etc.? I know there were starting to be some shortages on perishables at the grocery store---not sure if that was due to concerns about stuff being able to make it in to the ports or if people were acting out of fear or if people were just re-stocking....  

I'm very thankful that the Port had only minor damage. In our town most stores had to close because of safety issues. All the goods had fallen on the floor, ceiling tiles had come down etc. You can't have customers crawling over broken glass. Unsafe goods, of course,  can't be sold. 

At least one school will not be reopened this school year so I'm not sure if the district will move them to other schools, add portables or what. I actually continued on with a scheduled trip I had planned. Partly because I was able to check for gas and water issues before leaving and able to help a couple other people at least a little and partly because I really don't want anyone sleeping in my home until an engineer looks it over. So we are out of state now and scheduling inspections and stuff from afar. Also, my husband has an office here and will be able to do some work which he couldn't do at home as his building was deemed unsafe and evacuated for now. Also, the less people on the roads the better until things get fixed a little more but DOT and utilities and others have done a really good job. 

Alaska is prepared for stuff like this since it went through the second biggest earthquake ever recorded in the world back in 1964. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, frogger said:

I'm very thankful that the Port had only minor damage. In our town most stores had to close because of safety issues. All the goods had fallen on the floor, ceiling tiles had come down etc. You can't have customers crawling over broken glass. Unsafe goods, of course,  can't be sold. 

At least one school will not be reopened this school year so I'm not sure if the district will move them to other schools, add portables or what. I actually continued on with a scheduled trip I had planned. Partly because I was able to check for gas and water issues before leaving and able to help a couple other people at least a little and partly because I really don't want anyone sleeping in my home until an engineer looks it over. So we are out of state now and scheduling inspections and stuff from afar. Also, my husband has an office here and will be able to do some work which he couldn't do at home as his building was deemed unsafe and evacuated for now. Also, the less people on the roads the better until things get fixed a little more but DOT and utilities and others have done a really good job. 

Alaska is prepared for stuff like this since it went through the second biggest earthquake recorded back in 64. 

Oh wow.

I think you are doing the right thing about not having anyone in your home until it is  looked at but what a headache.  I hope you get to go home soon. 

21 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Same. Well, the new employer does have a plan, but it’s super duper unaffordable. They don’t pay well enough to have employees that can afford the insurance. 

We get ours through the marketplace. There’s one provider with three options. We picked the HSA one since dh already had one set up from his previous employment. We should be able to put away the premium savings to pay max out of pocket from the HSA. Hopefully it works. We’ll never build up anything in the HSA due to DHs medical expenses, but I think it will save us a little bit of money. 

Ps- this kind of thing is what makes me irate when I hear that the economy is booming. I almost wonder if employers are cutting benefits and COL raises and bonuses and getting rid of people just before thier 401(k) vests just to show good profits. Blah. (Sorry for the commentary). 

I am pretty sure we should have done what you did, pick the HSA.  I am already regretting it.  If you have a good year you save with it.