Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

hjffkj

November Frugalistas

Recommended Posts

I should add that I got a whole tank of gas for free thanks to our local supermarket's "fuel perks."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today was a spendy day!! I don't normally do Black Friday shopping but we made some big purchases and doing them today made it a little cheaper.  Dh is making 2 benches for our fire pit so he bought $150 worth of lumber and supplies. 

I decided that since he was doing this and we will be putting hardwood floors throughout the downstairs sometime soon that we should finally buy our own miter saw and not borrow my friend's, that was $140. 

Dh is getting his tattoo worked on.  He gave his tattoo artist a bunch of boxes of comic books in exchange for some of the work being done so I don't know how much that'll be.

I decided that if dh gets to splurge on himself with his tattoo that I'm going to splurge a bit on some new clothes.  I'm reaching desperately need levels for some clothing items so I figured today was the right day to do it.  I did it all online so hopefully everything fits well.  That was $150.  For someone who usually buys stuff at thrift stores this was a huge deal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a less spendy note, I made $220 this week picking up mail and being on call in case a client's security system went off

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my above post was deleted because I realized I could get a better deal, LOL.

Pride and Prejudice, the good movie (2 DVDs), new, first came up in my search (Amazon) as $72.88, which is not within my price range, but I thought I was getting a reasonable deal at $44 something (new) given that information.  But then I searched again and it came up at other price points, including the one I ended up buying at $24.98 (new).  Obviously this is not a frugal purchase, but I was determined to buy the movie one way or another, and a "new" movie could be used as a gift.

Speaking of expensive DVDs, I have been wanting the Mahabharata / Ramayana series, but they are outrageous even used.  Maybe someday I will find them on sale or find a way to borrow them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SKL said:

So my above post was deleted because I realized I could get a better deal, LOL.

Pride and Prejudice, the good movie (2 DVDs), new, first came up in my search (Amazon) as $72.88, which is not within my price range, but I thought I was getting a reasonable deal at $44 something (new) given that information.  But then I searched again and it came up at other price points, including the one I ended up buying at $24.98 (new).  Obviously this is not a frugal purchase, but I was determined to buy the movie one way or another, and a "new" movie could be used as a gift.

Speaking of expensive DVDs, I have been wanting the Mahabharata / Ramayana series, but they are outrageous even used.  Maybe someday I will find them on sale or find a way to borrow them.

1

Oh, the good one, I keep thinking I want to watch that with the girls again! I was thinking we caught it on Amazon Prime before.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, hjffkj said:

On a less spendy note, I made $220 this week picking up mail and being on call in case a client's security system went off

Woohoo!

On 11/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, hjffkj said:

Well today was a spendy day!! I don't normally do Black Friday shopping but we made some big purchases and doing them today made it a little cheaper.  Dh is making 2 benches for our fire pit so he bought $150 worth of lumber and supplies. 

I decided that since he was doing this and we will be putting hardwood floors throughout the downstairs sometime soon that we should finally buy our own miter saw and not borrow my friend's, that was $140. 

Dh is getting his tattoo worked on.  He gave his tattoo artist a bunch of boxes of comic books in exchange for some of the work being done so I don't know how much that'll be.

I decided that if dh gets to splurge on himself with his tattoo that I'm going to splurge a bit on some new clothes.  I'm reaching desperately need levels for some clothing items so I figured today was the right day to do it.  I did it all online so hopefully everything fits well.  That was $150.  For someone who usually buys stuff at thrift stores this was a huge deal.

4

Glad you got some clothes you needed and sometimes tools are a necessity!

_____________________

I bought some books for Christmas- I used the $5/$20 for one of them and then 2- $5 coupon rewards we had for no-rush shipping. The 2 rewards were a great deal b/c it was for any price book- the 2 books the girls wanted were $6 and $7 new so those were only $1-$2. I bought Dd1 a book set, it was still $20 after the coupon but 4 new books. I'm still not sure what book I'm getting ds.

All the kids will be getting something useful as well. The girls are easy I'm getting them and I face masks. We've been using dh's hunting ones but the sizes aren't right, this will be a big help for playing outside in the cold. I got everyone new hats last year but those don't cut it when it is really blustery. I don't know for ds, I think maybe some nice gloves that are touch screen compatible would be handy- maybe I can find some not too expensive.

We took the kids to the movie Friday night, I had been planning to go sometime and it was dd2's official bday. That was $35 for all of 6 of us to the cheaper showing plus one soda that we shared (it had free refills). 

I also bought $6 gf donuts, dd2 has been wanting these forever but as they were so expensive I told her she would have to wait until her bday, so she's been waiting MONTHS for these donuts!!! I also picked up 2 turkeys for the freezer as they were on super sale at 29c a pound!

Starting to think about Christmas if the kids can make up their minds. Dd2 wants a desk and I've been watching marketplace. I just sent a message on one I think will be the perfect size and actually go with her room and only an hour away (we keep finding them 2+ hrs)- oh and only $20!!! here's hoping it works.

I also sent a message on a bed for ds. We got him a twin over futon when he first moved downstairs but he just wants a full. Ideally, we've been looking for one that has built-in drawers because he just has his small closet and 2 small set of plastic drawers. I finally found one, in good shape, only an hour away, built in drawers and shelves in the headboard- which he would certainly use. It is $300, more than I wanted to spend but I think I'll go ahead and get it if it is still available. I have his bed to sell, I hope to get $150 out of it (that's what I got out of dd2's old bed that was similar), we'll see. I think it would be a good investment because it will last him forever and as a bonus, the wood matches the shelves already in his room and it will give him considerably more room for clothes and room in his closet. 

I think that's it. Dh FINALLY got the screws ordered for his old truck so it can be put up for sale (these were like $1). He took out the trim pieces to really deep clean it and lost the screws. Cross your fingers he gets that listed, I'm still holding my breath. Then to find out what price his Mom wants, his dad was going to give him a decent deal, his Mom on the other hand, not so much. I think it will be $6000-$6500. He thinks he should be able to get $3k out of his truck, then the rest will be out of tax returns. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea on stocking up on turkey.  I should do that, but we have not freezer space right now. 

Dh is off looking at tires and phones today.  Could get expensive.  Plus he is doing a grocery shop. 

We haven't spent much except for gas.  We are all sick so staying home. 

I did spent $200 on some Christmas gifts dog food, meds and vitamins and other assorted stuff.  

I have some ideas on finishing up Christmas too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

If you have a bjs near you- turkeys are 29 cents a lb now.  Great time to grab your Christmas turkey and to stock up.  These are the all natural no added solution kind.

 

the thought of going to bjs on a sunday is awful. maybe I'll go tomorrow because that is a great price

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frugal menu plan for the week:

Monday - Leftovers
Tuesday - Leftovers
Wednesday - Leftovers
Thursday - Leftovers
Friday - Leftovers...

And we didn't even host Thanksgiving!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Frugal menu plan for the week:

Monday - Leftovers
Tuesday - Leftovers
Wednesday - Leftovers
Thursday - Leftovers
Friday - Leftovers...

And we didn't even host Thanksgiving!


That's my kind of meal plan! 😄  So far, I haven't even started on mine for the week.  And should I mention we go Fri-Thurs?  LOL  This weekend was all leftovers, tonight and tomorrow are tacos, Tuesday is pasta ragu because I defrosted way too much meat for the tacos and need another way to use it.  I'm sure there should be some vegetables floating around on our plates but I'm too sick to care about eating anything myself and refuse to cook up green beans so the 8yo can ignore them and nobody else be around to eat them either.  Carbs and meat, it is!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:


That's my kind of meal plan! 😄  So far, I haven't even started on mine for the week.  And should I mention we go Fri-Thurs?  LOL  This weekend was all leftovers, tonight and tomorrow are tacos, Tuesday is pasta ragu because I defrosted way too much meat for the tacos and need another way to use it.  I'm sure there should be some vegetables floating around on our plates but I'm too sick to care about eating anything myself and refuse to cook up green beans so the 8yo can ignore them and nobody else be around to eat them either.  Carbs and meat, it is!

Aww, hope you feel better soon!   Yeah, veggies don’t happen when I’m out of commission.  Unless we’re counting potato skins or salsa.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I tried to catch up. Sounds like everyone is getting a good start on Christmas. I feel like I overspent on Thanksgiving food but some of it was on sale stuff for Christmas baking.

 

My oven element warped and broke in 3 pieces when I used the auto-clean cycle. Good thing I have a microwave that does convection baking. That will have to cut it until next summer.  I will hope for a decent tax return. I will have to plan well and baking bread is probably out for now but it will work. I hope.

We can't deal with the oven because Dh overspent on our car. He got a 2005 Subaru  Outback Wagon that didn't run but had no rust. None. Which is crazy for up here. He just needed to replace the turbo. He was looking for parts and found a 2016 engine with only 20k miles on it because the car had been wrecked on an icy road. After double checking everything he got it. So he bought the engine which doubled the price of the car but it's still 1/3 the price of a a rust free Subaru with only 20k on the motor. Then we will have plenty of vehicles until kids move out.  I felt terrible for him laying out under the car on the ice but it was his choice although I had to remind my son to be thankful since he and I have been able to use the vehicle while my DH commutes on a bicycle. We have had our other 2 vehicles over a decade but we will soon have 4 drivers and the busses only run twice in the morning and twice in the evening for our whole town 😕  so we needed one more even though we will seldom drive all three at once often. That and being older vehicles means there is more potential for break downs.

 

So now Christmas is upon us. For some reason January-May is easier for us to keep to a budget then things always start falling apart. I'm pretty sure the engine will be paid off before the end of the year though.

 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family gave me some cash before I left town. It was partly to pay me back for picking up stuff at the store for Mom but mostly just for gas or whatever. I tried to Christmas shop for my dad at an outlet mall on the way home. They closed down the store I was looking for!! They sold Corning Ware and Pyrex. I used to buy spare lids and individual containers there. He wants a bigger dish to cook in his toaster oven but doesn’t really want a new toaster oven. 

While I was there I spent part of my cash. I stumbled on a beard cleaning set on sale at Hot Topic in a Chewbacca bag. I thought the bag would be used over and over even when the supplies are gone. I went to buy it and pulled up the website to price compare. It was cheaper online. I asked if they would price match. They were hesitant but didn’t want to lose a sale so they honored it. Had they not, I probably would have skipped it. I didn’t want to use my credit card. They had some clearance items (key cover) and they told me to toss a third item in for free (whole store had deal buy 2 items get third free?) so I got two of the key things. I figured stocking stuffer for ds. 

I collected several Shopkick points and got a clearance top for dd at Carter’s/Oshkosh for like $3. My Shopkick points entitled me to $2 off Walmart/Sam’s. I used remaining cash & gift card to pay for a huge pack of tp at Sam’s. Dh said he’ll get money back soon from mileage form he turned in at work for travel and will use on credit card payment since we had to use it a bit this month. 

My new debit card has been acting up at Walmart/Sam’s so I complained to credit union and they blame the registers. Walmart said it happens all the time with that type of card. I asked credit union to mail me a new one in case my chip is bad. My father and Dh have cards but less issues. Their machines either say unable to read or declined. Sometimes it will go through eventually but one time it never did. 

Edited by heartlikealion
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frogger said:

Well, I tried to catch up. Sounds like everyone is getting a good start on Christmas. I feel like I overspent on Thanksgiving food but some of it was on sale stuff for Christmas baking.

 

My oven element warped and broke in 3 pieces when I used the auto-clean cycle. Good thing I have a microwave that does convection baking. That will have to cut it until next summer.  I will hope for a decent tax return. I will have to plan well and baking bread is probably out for now but it will work. I hope.

We can't deal with the oven because Dh overspent on our car. He got a 2005 Subaru  Outback Wagon that didn't run but had no rust. None. Which is crazy for up here. He just needed to replace the turbo. He was looking for parts and found a 2016 engine with only 20k miles on it because the car had been wrecked on an icy road. After double checking everything he got it. So he bought the engine which doubled the price of the car but it's still 1/3 the price of a a rust free Subaru with only 20k on the motor. Then we will have plenty of vehicles until kids move out.  I felt terrible for him laying out under the car on the ice but it was his choice although I had to remind my son to be thankful since he and I have been able to use the vehicle while my DH commutes on a bicycle. We have had our other 2 vehicles over a decade but we will soon have 4 drivers and the busses only run twice in the morning and twice in the evening for our whole town 😕  so we needed one more even though we will seldom drive all three at once often. That and being older vehicles means there is more potential for break downs.

 

So now Christmas is upon us. For some reason January-May is easier for us to keep to a budget then things always start falling apart. I'm pretty sure the engine will be paid off before the end of the year though.

 

 

Oh man that stinks.  I had no idea that could even happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frogger said:

Well, I tried to catch up. Sounds like everyone is getting a good start on Christmas. I feel like I overspent on Thanksgiving food but some of it was on sale stuff for Christmas baking.

 

My oven element warped and broke in 3 pieces when I used the auto-clean cycle. Good thing I have a microwave that does convection baking. That will have to cut it until next summer.  I will hope for a decent tax return. I will have to plan well and baking bread is probably out for now but it will work. I hope.

We can't deal with the oven because Dh overspent on our car. He got a 2005 Subaru  Outback Wagon that didn't run but had no rust. None. Which is crazy for up here. He just needed to replace the turbo. He was looking for parts and found a 2016 engine with only 20k miles on it because the car had been wrecked on an icy road. After double checking everything he got it. So he bought the engine which doubled the price of the car but it's still 1/3 the price of a a rust free Subaru with only 20k on the motor. Then we will have plenty of vehicles until kids move out.  I felt terrible for him laying out under the car on the ice but it was his choice although I had to remind my son to be thankful since he and I have been able to use the vehicle while my DH commutes on a bicycle. We have had our other 2 vehicles over a decade but we will soon have 4 drivers and the busses only run twice in the morning and twice in the evening for our whole town 😕  so we needed one more even though we will seldom drive all three at once often. That and being older vehicles means there is more potential for break downs.

 

So now Christmas is upon us. For some reason January-May is easier for us to keep to a budget then things always start falling apart. I'm pretty sure the engine will be paid off before the end of the year though.

 

Does the broiler element (that autocorrected to “brokitchen”... what) still work?  We went at least two years without a fully functioning oven, just using the broiler element for stuff like frozen pizzas.  Cornbread baked fine on a lower rack with just the broiler, too.  We aren’t really casserole eaters, and between the crockpot and the grill, we got by.  It would be even easier now with the Instant Pot.

We ended up buying a new range sooner than I wanted to, and didn’t get the one feature I really wish I had (double oven).  Looking back, I wish we’d stuck it out another year or so.

ETA:  For bread, if you have a larger crock pot, if might work in there for a small loaf.  I might stick the rest of my “gluten free artisan bread in 5” batch in there today to see if I get a better rise than the quicker oven baking .

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dh ended up getting the tires. 

We didn't pull the trigger on a phone, but we need to badly. 

Found out I am going to get the $ from the survey after all.  If anyone wants info on surveys let me know.  I do 2 different ones online. 

Starting this weekend it is going to get crazy expensive with driving to so many rehearsals and paying for parking most of the time.  Ick.  Oh well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

Does the broiler element (that autocorrected to “brokitchen”... what) still work?  We went at least two years without a fully functioning oven, just using the broiler element for stuff like frozen pizzas.  Cornbread baked fine on a lower rack with just the broiler, too.  We aren’t really casserole eaters, and between the crockpot and the grill, we got by.  It would be even easier now with the Instant Pot.

We ended up buying a new range sooner than I wanted to, and didn’t get the one feature I really wish I had (double oven).  Looking back, I wish we’d stuck it out another year or so.

 

It hasn't even crossed my mind. I don't know why although it just happened so I haven't put a ton of thought into work arounds of which we have plenty. Crockpots, roaster oven, convection baking microwave, etc. 

The funny thing is we priced getting the gas run this summer for a gas stove and for the pipe to wrap around the corner to a gas fireplace where there is currently a gaping hole where once upon a time there was a real fire place. Actually, I covered the hole with rigid foam insulation to keep cold air out. It was more expensive than we wanted to lay out yet so we waited even though our oven is really old and I wanted to replace with a gas range when it finally croaked. I figured even if the oven broke we could still cook at home. I don't know if the oven heard our plans or what. It's suspicious that it broke just a couple months later.

Edited by frogger
Not having had my coffee yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, frogger said:

Well, I tried to catch up. Sounds like everyone is getting a good start on Christmas. I feel like I overspent on Thanksgiving food but some of it was on sale stuff for Christmas baking.

 

My oven element warped and broke in 3 pieces when I used the auto-clean cycle. Good thing I have a microwave that does convection baking. That will have to cut it until next summer.  I will hope for a decent tax return. I will have to plan well and baking bread is probably out for now but it will work. I hope.

We can't deal with the oven because Dh overspent on our car. He got a 2005 Subaru  Outback Wagon that didn't run but had no rust. None. Which is crazy for up here. He just needed to replace the turbo. He was looking for parts and found a 2016 engine with only 20k miles on it because the car had been wrecked on an icy road. After double checking everything he got it. So he bought the engine which doubled the price of the car but it's still 1/3 the price of a a rust free Subaru with only 20k on the motor. Then we will have plenty of vehicles until kids move out.  I felt terrible for him laying out under the car on the ice but it was his choice although I had to remind my son to be thankful since he and I have been able to use the vehicle while my DH commutes on a bicycle. We have had our other 2 vehicles over a decade but we will soon have 4 drivers and the busses only run twice in the morning and twice in the evening for our whole town 😕  so we needed one more even though we will seldom drive all three at once often. That and being older vehicles means there is more potential for break downs.

 

So now Christmas is upon us. For some reason January-May is easier for us to keep to a budget then things always start falling apart. I'm pretty sure the engine will be paid off before the end of the year though.

 

So the moral of the story is to not clean the oven.  Got it and I will happily suppport that. Lol

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frogger - sorry about your oven.  Some appliance stores sell scratch and dent appliances.  A lot of the defects are on the side or back and not even seen.  Things like that don't bother me so that is where we start looking.

27 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

So the moral of the story is to not clean the oven.  Got it and I will happily suppport that. Lol

 

🤣🤣 Hey I can support that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frogger said:

 

It hasn't even crossed my mind. I don't know why although it just happened so I haven't put a ton of thought into work arounds of which we have plenty. Crockpots, roaster oven, convection baking microwave, etc. 

The funny thing is we priced getting the gas run this summer for a gas stove and for the pipe to wrap around the corner to a gas fireplace where there is currently a gaping hole where once upon a time there was a real fire place. Actually, I covered the hole with rigid foam insulation to keep cold air out. It was more expensive than we wanted to lay out yet so we waited even though our oven is really old and I wanted to replace with a gas range when it finally croaked. I figured even if the oven broke we could still cook at home. I don't know if the oven heard our plans or what. It's suspicious that it broke just a couple months later.

Is it a Google oven? 🤣

We've also considered running a gas line to convert just the stove and woodburning fireplace.  I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle or expense (haven't priced it here yet), although I'd really prefer a gas range.  We still might do the stove, but switch over the fireplace to an electric insert instead.   They are on opposite ends of the house, and the neighbor on the kitchen side already has gas service.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money has been slipping away left and right.  Mostly for Christmas presents and groceries but still. 

Have gotten a few good deals.  We went shopping Friday afternoon and Saturday.  Found each ds main Christmas present.  They were with us, normally would have tried to hide it or came back etc but we were out of town.  We couldn't pass it up (saved $80) so we bought it.  They are 17 & 20 so not like ruining santa but still wished it could have been a surprise.  

Also found some niece and nephew gifts 1/2 price.

MIL likes the adult coloring books.  I found some really nice ones super cheap for her.

Came home from 2 different thanksgiving dinners with quiet a bit of turkey.  Put it in the freezer in portion sizes for soups & casseroles.  Cheap meals later.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrghh!
I was too sick to get a fabulous present for dh.  One of his favorite hockey players wrote a book and signed several copies.  They were available this weekend at our bookshop (the guy retired here, actually, about a mile from us).  I couldn't even drag myself out of bed, let alone across town.

I haven't done any shopping at all, unless you count buying groceries.  And by groceries, I mean sending in the oldest for a 4-pack of juice smoothies and a bag of frozen chicken.  So I guess we're saving money? LOL  Or not.  DS made it to one music lesson this month.  So far with him being sick, a household emergency, and me feeling like death, we have not made it there.  I pay for her time regardless (it's not her fault we can't make it) but oh, man.  That was one expensive lesson!
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying hard to cut back this Christmas.  Actually trying to cut back on amount spent on gifts but still give thoughtful wanted gifts.  Struggling with this.

I love giving gifts but this year money is super tight. I am very stressed about some other stuff going on & add trying to find gifts. I am about to lose it. (still no clue what to get most people on my list) 

But I did make another meal from leftovers and 1 can veggie.  So that was a basically free meal for 4.  That goes in the good category.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Baseball mom said:

Trying hard to cut back this Christmas.  Actually trying to cut back on amount spent on gifts but still give thoughtful wanted gifts.  Struggling with this.

I love giving gifts but this year money is super tight. I am very stressed about some other stuff going on & add trying to find gifts. I am about to lose it. (still no clue what to get most people on my list) 

But I did make another meal from leftovers and 1 can veggie.  So that was a basically free meal for 4.  That goes in the good category.

 

 

Sending some hugs.  

Can you do homemade gifts?  Or even gifts of service?  Not sure who you are needing presents for.  Night of free babysitting.  A movie night with the kids where they get to pick the movie.  A fun outing like going sledding.  A day of chores done for you.  A s'mores night? 

 

I just saw this post on such a cute way to to this. 

 https://hip2save.com/diy/time-christmas-new-years-idea/

Edited by mommyoffive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes a little time, but I do recommend trying a savings app or site. I got another $2 shopkick credit last night by roaming around Walmart scanning products. I cashed in a $5 walmart gift card from Swagbucks a couple days prior. I had $5 in rewards in my Walgreens account I used to pick up medicine for dh. I have $5 in my Hot Topic account right now I'm using toward a cyber sale deal. Every little bit helps. I'm also going to earn points on a gift card purchase through giftcards dot com and then shop using that gc through a third party site. I can't remember if you earn points when you pay with a gc, though. I got $1.25 put into my paypal last night for submitting to ibotta. 25 cents for "any receipt" and 1.00 back for the product (lemon extract. The extract for Watkins brand is offering $1 back). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

It takes a little time, but I do recommend trying a savings app or site. I got another $2 shopkick credit last night by roaming around Walmart scanning products. I cashed in a $5 walmart gift card from Swagbucks a couple days prior. I had $5 in rewards in my Walgreens account I used to pick up medicine for dh. I have $5 in my Hot Topic account right now I'm using toward a cyber sale deal. Every little bit helps. I'm also going to earn points on a gift card purchase through giftcards dot com and then shop using that gc through a third party site. I can't remember if you earn points when you pay with a gc, though. I got $1.25 put into my paypal last night for submitting to ibotta. 25 cents for "any receipt" and 1.00 back for the product (lemon extract. The extract for Watkins brand is offering $1 back). 

 

Awesome.  I need to start doing those.  I agree, every little bit helps. 

Things I use for a little extra $ is surveys.  These are the ones I use. 

https://www.epollsurveys.com/epoll/clients/home.htm

Easy to earn some giftcards

https://www.productreportcard.com/

A friend gets tons of really high leveled surveys $70-$700 each.  Tons of surveys every week. They are low paying 75 cents to $5, but do them all because that is how you get into the bigger paying ones. 

They also do products that get sent to your house.  Like Frozen meals, beauty supplies things like that.  Then you get paid to review them

 

https://www.2020research.com/

High paying surveys, but they don't happen all that much. 

They pay $75- $1800 a survey.  But they don't happen tons.  You may get 1 or 2 a month to qualify for, or 12 a year or so.  Not tons, but if you get into ones they pay really well.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do really well with Swagbucks.  I generally get a $25 gift card every month.  And since you get one on sale each month that works out well.  We bought our oldest 2 DS's razors for Christmas.  Walmart had a good price but they weren't available online.  So I did in instore pickup but went through Swagbucks first.  So I got money back, didn't have to wait through the shopping lines (our Walmart has a kiosk for pickups and the guy working there was super fast), and was in and out of Walmart on Black Friday in less than 5 mintues. I also ordered pants for DH on JCPenney since he was done to 2 pair (we use Black Friday specials to buy all the stuff we needed anyways) and got $15 back from Swagbucks on those.  Right now I've got some videos running in the background in a different browser (if you run it in the same browser every time it switches it feels the needs to make the video the top thing and interrupts whatever you are doing but it won't do that if it's in a different browser), so I've earned another 50 cents or so this morning by doing nothing.  It's not a lot but by the end of the day I can earn a couple of bucks and I don't have to do much of anything.  It all adds up.  Also you can refer people and you can a bonus when they earn something.  My son runs videos in the background and so he earns a little bit each month to buy apps on his phone and I earn a little bit based on what he got. If anyone hasn't tried Swagbucks, I'd be happy to give you a referral code.

I will have to look into the survey one.  I don't mind doing those and those are good payouts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I do really well with Swagbucks.  I generally get a $25 gift card every month.  And since you get one on sale each month that works out well.  We bought our oldest 2 DS's razors for Christmas.  Walmart had a good price but they weren't available online.  So I did in instore pickup but went through Swagbucks first.  So I got money back, didn't have to wait through the shopping lines (our Walmart has a kiosk for pickups and the guy working there was super fast), and was in and out of Walmart on Black Friday in less than 5 mintues. I also ordered pants for DH on JCPenney since he was done to 2 pair (we use Black Friday specials to buy all the stuff we needed anyways) and got $15 back from Swagbucks on those.  Right now I've got some videos running in the background in a different browser (if you run it in the same browser every time it switches it feels the needs to make the video the top thing and interrupts whatever you are doing but it won't do that if it's in a different browser), so I've earned another 50 cents or so this morning by doing nothing.  It's not a lot but by the end of the day I can earn a couple of bucks and I don't have to do much of anything.  It all adds up.  Also you can refer people and you can a bonus when they earn something.  My son runs videos in the background and so he earns a little bit each month to buy apps on his phone and I earn a little bit based on what he got. If anyone hasn't tried Swagbucks, I'd be happy to give you a referral code.

I will have to look into the survey one.  I don't mind doing those and those are good payouts.

 

Yep sign up for those surveys they pay well. 

You do awesome with Swagbucks.  I have tried and never earned anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never have the patience for the videos anymore it seems. They lag, they stop, they give error messages. And you get like a few points for watching 20! I don't know, maybe you are using the site differently. 

I usually clip the coupons on swagbucks and do their shop. If I shop through dh's account, I get referral points on mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I never have the patience for the videos anymore it seems. They lag, they stop, they give error messages. And you get like a few points for watching 20! I don't know, maybe you are using the site differently. 

I usually clip the coupons on swagbucks and do their shop. If I shop through dh's account, I get referral points on mine. 

The regular Watch videos are bad but the Ngage ones are the ones that I'm doing well with.  For years they didn't work for me but this last year they suddenly started working and they pay well.  When I run it in Firefox they even auto advance to the next set but in chrome I have to manually start each set.  I don't know if that is do to how DH has the browsers configured or something inherantly different between the browsers themselves but either way since I don't normally use Firefox it's agreat way to run those autoplay videos

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 8:27 PM, Baseball mom said:

Trying hard to cut back this Christmas.  Actually trying to cut back on amount spent on gifts but still give thoughtful wanted gifts.  Struggling with this.

 

 

We tend to skimp on all holidays except Christmas but I really need to be careful not just with gifts but food. I tend not to make desserts and drinks and such the rest of the year because I focus on purchasing nutrition only but it stinks not being able to for Christmas so I need to just have some self control but yes it's hard.

 

Trying not to feel defeated.  Printer needs a new drum but at some point I would just like to buy another one. This thing is over a decade and every time we put ink in it it puffs out everywhere. I already mention the oven breaking. The hot water heater needs flushed but that shouldn't cost anything but time. The kids need a new shower head if they will ever be able to use the upstairs bath and the car has need a few different things for the engine swap  and I need to replace the windshield in my vehicle before my daughter will be allowed to take her driver's test in it. I'm seeing I will have to replace it every couple years since I will keep having new drivers and windshields last from a few days to a few months around here depending on how lucky you are. After all that we have holidays. Yikes. 

 

I'm working on photobooks for the Grandparents so that's three albums. Maybe I should look around for a place cheaper than Costco. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frogger said:

 

We tend to skimp on all holidays except Christmas but I really need to be careful not just with gifts but food. I tend not to make desserts and drinks and such the rest of the year because I focus on purchasing nutrition only but it stinks not being able to for Christmas so I need to just have some self control but yes it's hard.

 

Trying not to feel defeated.  Printer needs a new drum but at some point I would just like to buy another one. This thing is over a decade and every time we put ink in it it puffs out everywhere. I already mention the oven breaking. The hot water heater needs flushed but that shouldn't cost anything but time. The kids need a new shower head if they will ever be able to use the upstairs bath and the car has need a few different things for the engine swap  and I need to replace the windshield in my vehicle before my daughter will be allowed to take her driver's test in it. I'm seeing I will have to replace it every couple years since I will keep having new drivers and windshields last from a few days to a few months around here depending on how lucky you are. After all that we have holidays. Yikes. 

 

I'm working on photobooks for the Grandparents so that's three albums. Maybe I should look around for a place cheaper than Costco. 

sorry about all the things wrong.  I totally get it.  I have a long list like that too.

I don't know how much books are at Costco but snapfish has been running deals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were scrambling for ideas for ds for Christmas. I thought we were just going to get a Steam gift card to complete the shopping, but I found out ds really wants to able to build things around the house. I didn't know kids fort kits even existed. Dh found it online. I recently got him some dress shirts. They were Kohl's big and tall but the length was not long on him. He's going to just keep the one he wore and I'm going to return the others. The money back from the others should offset the cost of the fort kits. Those will be from Santa and we'll set them up in the living room for Christmas morning, with other gifts inside. The kids will probably love them. They are always taking our pillows and blankets and building forts, or bases as they call them, in the living room. When they are not assembled they shouldn't take up too much storage and we might leave one set at the grandparents' house. Kohl's had one of the best prices on the fort kits and I earned Kohl's cash by adding items for my dad and aunt. I shopped through ebates because they were offering the best deal with cash back. I have now reached my "big fat check" minimum for a payout in Feb. I purchased Kohl's gift cards from gift cards dot com before I made my order. I used promo code HALLOWEEN on each gift card and points from the following gc purchase rolled forward so I paid 8.90 for most of the $10 gift cards. You can only use up to 4 gift cards at Kohl's in one transaction so I did one larger gc and will use one of the smaller ones on a future purchase along with the kohl's cash. I'm pretty sure I flagged my credit card because after a couple gc orders it didn't work and I had to finish with dh's card. Oops. 

I wish I had realized there was a 30% off deal at Affinity earlier this week. I've been wanting that design program for a while now. I can wait a bit. 

I wasn't able to use my $5 Hot Topic credit because once it was added to the order I didn't meet the threshold for free shipping to the store... I tried to find something to add and then the item I was originally going to buy went out of stock. If I happen to go to the store while the website still has a sale I might barter with them for the online price in store but I doubt it. It's not a need by any means, it was just the Cuphead stuffed toy. The last time I went in the store (a few days ago) I saw the toy at one location, but it was $20 in store. Depending on who is working they would remember me from doing pick up orders and might cut me some slack as a returning customer. 

A debt collector has been calling me, but I don't want to give out my info and they refuse to tell me what it's in regard to unless I give them some info. Afaik I've checked with every medical place as to where I stand with my balances and it seems it would be a medical bill if there's any issue. Dh said maybe one place was wrong about whether or not they sent something to collections. That happened to us once. The medical place said no it didn't and then it had. For a late payment. 

Yesterday we had dd open some gifts from us for her birthday. I had wrapped up boots for winter and a steal of a shirt I got at Carter's along with a Dollar store workbook. She likes clothes and shoes so it was practical. She got so excited when she saw a shoe box LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 9:06 AM, BarbecueMom said:

Is it a Google oven? 🤣

We've also considered running a gas line to convert just the stove and woodburning fireplace.  I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle or expense (haven't priced it here yet), although I'd really prefer a gas range.  We still might do the stove, but switch over the fireplace to an electric insert instead.   They are on opposite ends of the house, and the neighbor on the kitchen side already has gas service.

Have you looked to see if there are any incentive programs offered by your state/county/city or utility company?

Here there are $$$$ incentives to convert from woodburning to a more efficient woodburning or to gas because of air quality control problems.  (There are so many people here who burn wood when it's cold that they are failing EPA guidelines and people are having asthma problems.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now, Shutterfly is offering 60% off Holiday Cards! Plus, shipping is free when you use the promo code SHIPCARDS at checkout!

Valid through December 2, 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a month of things continuing to break.

The check finally came from the home warranty company to reimburse us for our microwave that died.

Our dryer died. It was ours that we moved in, not with the house, so I didn't file a home warranty claim. We thought it was just the fuse, but it was also the heating element. We've been without a dryer now for two weeks. The part just arrived yesterday, so hopefully we can revive our dryer.

We looked into an early college program for ds, but he needed to have accredited high school credits for 9th and 10th grade even though the program doesn't start until 11th grade. Ugh.  These were details not advertised. 😞 

We still need to do a bunch of work on dh's car and get new tires for it....but it's got to wait a few more months unless something changes.

I'm just flat out staying out of stores. I take cash to pay for groceries once a week, and otherwise, I'm just home.  I bought a few essentials for Christmas (clothing items otherwise needed), chocolate for everyone, and a book for everyone except Youngest---one toy for Youngest (who doesn't read--so book equivalent) and we're just done.  

Edited by prairiewindmomma
for clarity--I need more caffeine
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 96% done Christmas shopping.  I have to get a few gift cards still, but other than that, done.

Did someone here have a dead car battery recently due to a light left on?  Yeah, guess what I did this week... argh.

I also had to buy clothes this month.  I looked a bit ridiculous.  I now look slightly less ridiculous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had two dead batteries (different vehicles) last month.

It wasn't due to lights being left on, though. It was just when the cold weather hit and the batteries gave up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We had two dead batteries (different vehicles) last month.

It wasn't due to lights being left on, though. It was just when the cold weather hit and the batteries gave up.

I think mine was close to needing replacing, and the light left on just finished it off.  Argh.  I usually leave them off, but couldn’t find my other glove.  Now I have a dead battery and still only one glove.

My brother is a mechanic, so I texted him today and asked for a “housecall battery installation” for Christmas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frugal warning and tip... when you buy wrapping paper on clearance BEFORE December 26th, take a moment to wonder why you're getting such a great bargain.

Glitter.  Glitter everywhere.  Adorable wrapping paper, hazardous to contact lens wearers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another frugal fail, the Pacific plate took out some dishes a bunch of canned smoke salmon, some sauces, and a bunch of spices which I'd just stocked up on. 😞Lots of cracks in my sheetrock, broken toilet where it cracked porcelian trying to jump away, and the one bookcase that I failed to attach to a wall because it was there "temporarily" was busted to pieces (Yes, I know better, all other bookcases are securely attached to studs) and the deck will need replaced but it could have been worse so I'm thankful nothing major. 

Hopefully, I'll get back to getting on top of my budget now!

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

 

Did someone here have a dead car battery recently due to a light left on?  Yeah, guess what I did this week... argh.

 


This is currently the new "penalty of death" in my house.  I've come out more than once to a dead battery because the youngest went back in my car for something, turned on the interior lights, and never turned them off.  Or left his door open.  Anything except use the lightswitch on the wall to illuminate the garage that he's digging in.  So, yeah.  Penalty of death. 😄


I didn't grocery shop last week except for two runs to the store for juice drinks and frozen chicken.  Which means the new lows I've gotten to on groceries ($130-160, down from $250), did not exist this week.  Dh and I went yesterday.  $192 on 4-5 days' worth.  But we seriously had empty cupboards to fill.

Funny story: I volunteer with kids 1 day a week.  This week, they were working on a millionaire project.  They had to buy a house, vehicle, college, and plan for daily living expenses within a million dollars.  Watching their eyes get big with how much houses cost here, and then college!  Oh, my!  😄  Then we got to daily living expenses.  Their teacher and I live about 40 minutes away from each other, in different tourist spots.  She'd tell them about how much it cost for electricity for her 3bdrm home, and then I'd tell them for our 3bdrm, pulling it up on Every Dollar.  For everything: water, electricity, gas...there were serious differences of hundreds of dollars.  It got to the point where she was questioning how we're able to pull it off with our expenses so low.  I'm kinda glad we took the time when we got here and this summer to have people come out from the energy companies and go through our house/check out the roof to see what needed to be done to conserve.  Totally free service, and they offer great pointers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, frogger said:

Another frugal fail, the Pacific plate took out some dishes a bunch of canned smoke salmon, some sauces, and a bunch of spices which I'd just stocked up on. 😞Lots of cracks in my sheetrock, broken toilet where it cracked porcelian trying to jump away, and the one bookcase that I failed to attach to a wall because it was there "temporarily" was busted to pieces (Yes, I know better, all other bookcases are securely attached to studs) and the deck will need replaced but it could have been worse so I'm thankful nothing major. 

Hopefully, I'll get back to getting on top of my budget now!

Yikes!  I hope everyone’s okay!

I always figured I’d lose dishes in an earthquake but I never thought about the spices, which are already falling out of the cabinet on a normal day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, frogger said:

Another frugal fail, the Pacific plate took out some dishes a bunch of canned smoke salmon, some sauces, and a bunch of spices which I'd just stocked up on. 😞Lots of cracks in my sheetrock, broken toilet where it cracked porcelian trying to jump away, and the one bookcase that I failed to attach to a wall because it was there "temporarily" was busted to pieces (Yes, I know better, all other bookcases are securely attached to studs) and the deck will need replaced but it could have been worse so I'm thankful nothing major. 

Hopefully, I'll get back to getting on top of my budget now!

 

Are you in Alaska?  I hope everyone is safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...