Menu

November Frugalistas

hjffkj

2 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I somehow did terribly on groceries last month. I blame DH. And my stocking up almost a years worth of maple syrup.  

My ds was very insistent that we decorate for Halloween this year, something our family does not do. It made me feel like I should put more effort into decorating for Christmas, as it seems important to him. My house only has one outdoor electrical outlet, and it’s way around on the side, behind the side porch. It makes putting lights up front very awkward. I decided we should do luminarias of some sort. I just ordered 24 remote controlled battery operated led votives. I think I’ll put them in glass jars to protect them from the weather (they’re waterproof but not severe weatherproof). That was $39. That pretty much blows away our Christmas decoration limit for the year after I buy some necessary replacement lights for the tree. Please give me your best cheap/free decoration ideas! 

Well I love your votive idea.  I didn't even know they had the remote control ones.  So smart.  

4 hours ago, soror said:

stuff bought: light bulbs- lots of LED ones (adds up but we needed to replace some), car parts, groceries thursday. $50 canned goods for canned food drive for ds' school, $25 boots for me, $11 hs outing

planning bday parties for dd3 and 4, trying to keep it fairly cheap, going to hit up 5Below and Dollar Tree tomorrow

Finished out last week w/ 19 hours, have 16 scheduled for this week so far- with 5 more hours open. Next week I have 18 booked as of now. I have from 5-8 every day. I know I could pull in some again on Friday night but we'll see how I feel, I need a day off at some point and I won't have one until the 26 at the earliest right now. I've earned $600 so far, with another $680 scheduled plus $100 in incentives and I don't even have the last week booked yet (that will be next Monday).

You are blowing away your goal!  Awesome.  

I need to do that.  I need to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I somehow did terribly on groceries last month. I blame DH. And my stocking up almost a years worth of maple syrup.  

My ds was very insistent that we decorate for Halloween this year, something our family does not do. It made me feel like I should put more effort into decorating for Christmas, as it seems important to him. My house only has one outdoor electrical outlet, and it’s way around on the side, behind the side porch. It makes putting lights up front very awkward. I decided we should do luminarias of some sort. I just ordered 24 remote controlled battery operated led votives. I think I’ll put them in glass jars to protect them from the weather (they’re waterproof but not severe weatherproof). That was $39. That pretty much blows away our Christmas decoration limit for the year after I buy some necessary replacement lights for the tree. Please give me your best cheap/free decoration ideas! 

Well, maple syrup is EXPENSIVE!!!

I bought a few halloween decorations at Dollar Tree and MIL passed on some she doesn't use. The girls just did a pinecone craft, not sure what else this year, I'll have to listen in on that. I'd like to maybe do some Christmas ornaments..

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You are blowing away your goal!  Awesome.  

I need to do that.  I need to do that. 

I continue to be surprised, I don't want to count on it but it has been pretty steady and I'm extremely grateful. Christmas without the guilt- just fatigue from the working! But it is getting easier and less stressing. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, soror said:

I continue to be surprised, I don't want to count on it but it has been pretty steady and I'm extremely grateful. Christmas without the guilt- just fatigue from the working! But it is getting easier and less stressing. 

I am glad it is working out so well for you.  Your youngest is 3?  How do you keep that one out of your hair while you are working?  My youngest is that age and is so hard right now. 

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am glad it is working out so well for you.  Your youngest is 3?  How do you keep that one out of your hair while you are working?  My youngest is that age and is so hard right now. 

NO, 3rd DD is in K (turns 6 this week), sorry for the confusion. Usually, they sleep until I'm done or nearly done. If they wake they generally hang out with each other upstairs, on rare occasion she has come downstairs and sat by me out of the camera and kept quiet. 

11 minutes ago, soror said:

NO, 3rd DD is in K (turns 6 this week), sorry for the confusion. Usually, they sleep until I'm done or nearly done. If they wake they generally hang out with each other upstairs, on rare occasion she has come downstairs and sat by me out of the camera and kept quiet. 

Ahh.  I read that wrong.  I thought she was in 3k.  Yeah it might work better with older kids.  Where did you set up your space to work. 

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ahh.  I read that wrong.  I thought she was in 3k.  Yeah it might work better with older kids.  Where did you set up your space to work. 

I'm in the back of the great room in the basement, we have a door to separate the upstairs and down so it stays pretty quiet and it certainly is easier with the older ones

Funny frugal-related conversation this morning:

Me: “Sunday, we’ll drop you off, then Grandma and I are going Christmas shopping.  Gotta get those lumps of coal for your stocking.”

DS10: “Yeah right.  Coal isn’t on sale this week, and you never buy anything unless it’s on sale.”

Is it that obvious?  Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

They would drive me batty about the top of fridge. Special bags?? Like kitchen trash can size? 

I’m so irritated. My new bank card has been giving me errors at Walmart and Sam’s. Works fine everywhere else. So after literally like 20 attempts on 2 registers (one at customer service desk) I caved and paid with our credit card for my small cart of groceries. Ugh. I’m going to talk to the bank. Maybe the chip is damaged. 

Dh won’t change do last night I was in “screw it” mode and shopped for things I otherwise might have not bought. Nothing real crazy. Two more rolls of gift wrap that match gift tags I have at home (each roll $1). A few snack items. See, he ate out again with his guy friend and they spent a lot. He told me just dinner but it turned into dinner & a movie. I can’t control this man. At least he finally decided to submit receipts for mileage for recent work related driving. I told him that money should go toward cleaning lady I found for new house. He said he had other ideas for it but we didn’t get to discuss yet. I have a bad feeling other idea means expensive Christmas gift or new computer but his computer *is* seemingly dying. 

I got results back from occupational therapist. I feel like I need to move forward with some of that stuff for ds’ sake. Yes, some can be done at home but probably not all and frankly I want someone else to work with him, not just me. And I can’t rely on dh either. He scored 8 percentile on the very low end compared to same age peers. Dh seemed baffled. Me, not so much. It’s like duh our son has deficits in motor skills. I didn’t expect the score to be that low, however. 

Min considering going back to school for a 2yr program to become an occupational therapist assistant. But Dh thinks it’s not offered on his local campus or it’s all day all week. I asked him to find out more for me. I’d get a discount as his spouse but I don’t know when I could justify going to class. 

(hugs) and best wishes figuring out the best path forward for your ds.

I had/have considered going back to be an OTA too, we have a local program. It looks like a solid career path. I'm on hold here w/ the kids back home, working close to 20 hrs a week, and dh in college. Perhaps I'll reconsider when the kids are older.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:03 AM, BarbecueMom said:

Funny frugal-related conversation this morning:

Me: “Sunday, we’ll drop you off, then Grandma and I are going Christmas shopping.  Gotta get those lumps of coal for your stocking.”

DS10: “Yeah right.  Coal isn’t on sale this week, and you never buy anything unless it’s on sale.”

Is it that obvious?  Lol.

LOL!!

_________

I took the kids to do some Christmas shopping, let them pick out things form $5 and below and got a few items for a spa time w/ the girls and their friends for their bdays. Dh ordered a car battery charger (seems the kids are perpetually leaving the lights on and I've had to get a jump WAY too much lately), it got it on a lightning deal for $40ish I think. I need groceries, plan to make a list tonight.

• Like 2

Oh, and prayers and good thoughts needed for dh. He had some horrible pain this weekend, then it came back yesterday. It seems to be gallbladder. He's going to his clinic at work today, that's only $5. He had this once before but it went away. REALLY need it to do the same this time, it is miserable for dh and gallbladder surgery with high deductible insurance would wipe out any short-term savings we've accumulated :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Things have been fine here.  The dryer is holding out and we have some of the yearly bills come up.

Still haven't decided what to do with Christmas.   Should figure that out soon. 

So I am really thinking that I am going to try to apply for VIPKId.  I am really nervous about it.  I haven't worked before kids.  

But I think I could balance 20 hours a week and still be ok.   Are the peak times the only times that you can work?   Are there night hours only on the weekends?  Not the weekdays? 

I am thinking of setting something up in our basement.  It isn't ideal but that is the only place that would work.  We really could use a bigger house.  

How long did it take for you to apply and then start working?    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soror said:

Oh, and prayers and good thoughts needed for dh. He had some horrible pain this weekend, then it came back yesterday. It seems to be gallbladder. He's going to his clinic at work today, that's only $5. He had this once before but it went away. REALLY need it to do the same this time, it is miserable for dh and gallbladder surgery with high deductible insurance would wipe out any short-term savings we've accumulated :( 

Sending some prayers.  I hope he gets good news today. 

10 minutes ago, soror said:

Oh no!  Poor guy!  I had GB surgery in September. I haven’t looked at the EoB yet, but it was at a freestanding surgical center.  Supposedly cheaper than at a hospital.  I didn’t have stones though, mine was just non-functioning.  Hope he feels better soon!

Would it be better to get it done now before the deductible resets, or wait until the new year and not end up with a December-January issue with meeting both 2018 and 2019 deductibles?

I made it to several stores to take advantage of pre-Thanksgiving sales before the snow hit (we are at 5.5-6 inches and it’s still snowing).  I still have $250 left in this month’s grocery budget, and there’s a ton of food in the house.  Both fridges and the pantry are full.

I think I found a fridge to fit in our kitchen now and not wait for the remodel, and it’s on sale, much cheaper than I had planned on.  I’ll probably spring for a freezer as well, since there’s rebate for buying two appliances.  And we really need the extra freezer space.  I have yet to buy meat this month, because I have nowhere to put it.  And if DH gets a deer this weekend, or DS gets one next weekend, I’ll need it ASAP.

Will be back later to read other comments, need to go check in not-so-independently working kids distracted by snow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Things have been fine here.  The dryer is holding out and we have some of the yearly bills come up.

Still haven't decided what to do with Christmas.   Should figure that out soon. 

So I am really thinking that I am going to try to apply for VIPKId.  I am really nervous about it.  I haven't worked before kids.  

But I think I could balance 20 hours a week and still be ok.   Are the peak times the only times that you can work?   Are there night hours only on the weekends?  Not the weekdays? 

I am thinking of setting something up in our basement.  It isn't ideal but that is the only place that would work.  We really could use a bigger house.  

How long did it take for you to apply and then start working?    

You can open hours in the evening as well but during the school year those are unlikely to book. 5-7 central time are the most likely to book. I have good luck booking 7-8 as well and plenty book before then, I just prefer not to get up so early. Now, on the weekends it is different. Plenty of people work all night Friday as that is their Sat day and it books well. 

It is a daunting process, I started the application a few months before I finally sent in my demo video. That part ended up taking a couple of weeks, but wouldn't have been that long if I hadn't had internet issues and then they had some info wrong in the system which forced me to reschedule my Mock twice. 

Just now, BarbecueMom said:

Oh no!  Poor guy!  I had GB surgery in September. I haven’t looked at the EoB yet, but it was at a freestanding surgical center.  Supposedly cheaper than at a hospital.  I didn’t have stones though, mine was just non-functioning.  Hope he feels better soon!

Would it be better to get it done now before the deductible resets, or wait until the new year and not end up with a December-January issue with meeting both 2018 and 2019 deductibles?

I made it to several stores to take advantage of pre-Thanksgiving sales before the snow hit (we are at 5.5-6 inches and it’s still snowing).  I still have $250 left in this month’s grocery budget, and there’s a ton of food in the house.  Both fridges and the pantry are full.

I think I found a fridge to fit in our kitchen now and not wait for the remodel, and it’s on sale, much cheaper than I had planned on.  I’ll probably spring for a freezer as well, since there’s rebate for buying two appliances.  And we really need the extra freezer space.  I have yet to buy meat this month, because I have nowhere to put it.  And if DH gets a deer this weekend, or DS gets one next weekend, I’ll need it ASAP.

Will be back later to read other comments, need to go check in not-so-independently working kids distracted by snow.

If he has to have it done we'd prefer Jan, we've hardly touched the deductible this year (thankfully). I guess we'll see how it plays out, we might not have a choice.

We just got a couple of inches of snow here, we'll see if we get any more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soror said:

You can open hours in the evening as well but during the school year those are unlikely to book. 5-7 central time are the most likely to book. I have good luck booking 7-8 as well and plenty book before then, I just prefer not to get up so early. Now, on the weekends it is different. Plenty of people work all night Friday as that is their Sat day and it books well. 

It is a daunting process, I started the application a few months before I finally sent in my demo video. That part ended up taking a couple of weeks, but wouldn't have been that long if I hadn't had internet issues and then they had some info wrong in the system which forced me to reschedule my Mock twice. 

You are talking AM right? 

Why did you start the application so early?  Do you need to do that?  What did you do to prepare? 

4 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Great job on the stocking up.  Sounds like you maybe can save some money there this month.  

Ugh snow is heading our way Friday night. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, soror said:

praying

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You are talking AM right? 

Why did you start the application so early?  Do you need to do that?  What did you do to prepare? 

Yes, am. No, I was just unsure about it, I really didn't want to work. I only went through with it when SHTF. The best preparation is watching YouTube videos and PRACTICE, I practiced over and over with my kids, it is not the same but helps.

• Like 1

I've been pretty good for a couple months, but it's about to get real.

I do have some things going that may help.  One, I still have a pile of gift cards that I bought last year and didn't use.  Two, I have like $500 in Discover points that I can use toward Amazon purchases.

My kids are at an age where big stuff is generally not of interest to them.  Actually I have no idea what, if anything, my eldest wants for Christmas.  My youngest will enjoy books and probably some novelty doll toys and some horse stuff.  I have ordered both of them a cool-looking backpack with their favorite animal on it.  For everyone else, hopefully I find a not-too-lame small gift that will be easy to finalize.

That reminds me - I'm late on my kid's monthly horse lease payment.

I'll be dropping $100 ($50 per kid) on a TKD belt camp to help my kids keep up during this hectic time.

I believe it's time to renew the scholarships for the 3 Latin American girls I'm sponsoring.

Oh, and the Kiwi Crate / Tinker Crate subscriptions for my daughters and nieces are due to renew.  I just added Tinker Crate for my oldest niece, so that family will now be getting both Kiwi and Tinker for a year or two.  All the girls really enjoy this gift that keeps on giving.

Really not much else going on right now money-wise.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2018 at 8:45 AM, heartlikealion said:

They would drive me batty about the top of fridge. Special bags?? Like kitchen trash can size? 

Yep.  We actually can buy them a few different sizes, but each town has special bags, each a different color.  Only trash in the appropriate bag will be taken at the dump.  I'm cheating and buying the largest possible, then throwing the kitchen trash bags inside that to try and pack in as much as possible without having a ton of garbage in the house. I line a can outside instead.  We all had a nice come to Jesus meeting over it all and being absolutely merciless about coming behind everyone and annoying them about their food...things have been better. ?

A frugal win: Dh bought me Hamilton on LP last year for Christmas, which was a fantastic gift.  But by the time I could use the enclosed digital code it was expired, so I've contented myself with the records this past year.  But I thought I would take my shot, ? and sent off an email explaining the situation to the record company, asking if there was any other way for me to access the digital recordings.  I didn't expect an answer, but sure enough this week I got a nice reply back and a zip file for the entire album.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Yep.  We actually can buy them a few different sizes, but each town has special bags, each a different color.  Only trash in the appropriate bag will be taken at the dump.  I'm cheating and buying the largest possible, then throwing the kitchen trash bags inside that to try and pack in as much as possible without having a ton of garbage in the house. I line a can outside instead.  We all had a nice come to Jesus meeting over it all and being absolutely merciless about coming behind everyone and annoying them about their food...things have been better. ? 

A frugal win: Dh bought me Hamilton on LP last year for Christmas, which was a fantastic gift.  But by the time I could use the enclosed digital code it was expired, so I've contented myself with the records this past year.  But I thought I would take my shot, ? and sent off an email explaining the situation to the record company, asking if there was any other way for me to access the digital recordings.  I didn't expect an answer, but sure enough this week I got a nice reply back and a zip file for the entire album.

I love companies that awe you with their customer service.  Makes me of fan of them and want to use them more often. 

• Like 3

Just saw this on hip2save

Today, November 17th only, Target is offering 20% off kids items including toys, clothing, shoes, home items and more both in-store and online – no promo code needed as the discount is automatically applied during checkout!

Plus, Target REDcard holders save an additional 5%!

Note that this deal excludes kids basics, clearance, select Halo, DockATot, Owlet, Philips Avent, Peg Perego, video games, Nintendo Labo, Barbie Dreamhouse, Elf on the Shelf, Hot Wheels Corkscrew, Jurassic Rex Dino, L.O.L. Surprise! Dollhouse, LEGO and Thomas Super Station.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Just saw this on hip2save

Today, November 17th only, Target is offering 20% off kids items including toys, clothing, shoes, home items and more both in-store and online – no promo code needed as the discount is automatically applied during checkout!

Plus, Target REDcard holders save an additional 5%!

Note that this deal excludes kids basics, clearance, select Halo, DockATot, Owlet, Philips Avent, Peg Perego, video games, Nintendo Labo, Barbie Dreamhouse, Elf on the Shelf, Hot Wheels Corkscrew, Jurassic Rex Dino, L.O.L. Surprise! Dollhouse, LEGO and Thomas Super Station.

Even though that deal excludes LEGO, they had sets at 20% off normal retail price this morning.  Amazon was matching, but the $10 Target GC deal for a $50 LEGO purchase is still working.  They’ll probably be 5-10% cheaper at some point, but one of the sets was a first choice on the wish list for DS9, and I didn’t want to risk not being able to find it later.

ETA: Went into the store today to get a set that DS9 wanted to spend the rest of his birthday money on, and it was NOT ringing up 20% off.  Price matching to the online price worked though.  Just an FYI in case anyone tries to buy in-store tonight and they are still retail price.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Even though that deal excludes LEGO, they had sets at 20% off normal retail price this morning.  Amazon was matching, but the $10 Target GC deal for a $50 LEGO purchase is still working.  They’ll probably be 5-10% cheaper at some point, but one of the sets was a first choice on the wish list for DS9, and I didn’t want to risk not being able to find it later.

What set did you get him? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What set did you get him? 

LEGO Minecraft Bedrock Adventures.  And I'm probably going to use the gift card that comes with it to buy one of the board games on Black Friday.  The family gift this year is a "game (or expansion) a day" for each of the 12 days of Christmas.

I used the $5 book credit this morning on pre-ordering the next Dog Man book that comes out on Christmas Eve.  That should occupy them long enough that evening for me to finish sorting and wrapping.

• Like 2

Ugh money fail

I was doing a survey where they sent me a product and then I did a survey about it.  I logged in and got all my stuff done.  Got an email 2 days ago that it was closing.  Didn't click in the email, but I thought no big deal.  I finally have time to click in it today, they added extra questions on the last day.  I didn't get it done and no I probably won't get the $.     $30 lost.   Ugh.     it put me in such a bad mood.  Oh well.  Lesson learned right? 

Photo blanket idea and sale

https://hip2save.com/2018/11/17/walgreens-photo-personalized-fleece-photo-blanket-only-18-regularly-60-today-only/

• Like 1

How is everyone doing?  Anyone doing BF shopping? 

I have 0 plans of that.  But maybe if I see some good deals posted.  I am thinking of doing practical things for the kids.  Dance gear, new shoes, things they will use.  Toys they have to many of and play with them for such a short amount of time. 

On 11/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, mommyoffive said:

Ugh money fail

I was doing a survey where they sent me a product and then I did a survey about it.  I logged in and got all my stuff done.  Got an email 2 days ago that it was closing.  Didn't click in the email, but I thought no big deal.  I finally have time to click in it today, they added extra questions on the last day.  I didn't get it done and no I probably won't get the $.     $30 lost.   Ugh.     it put me in such a bad mood.  Oh well.  Lesson learned right? 

Photo blanket idea and sale

https://hip2save.com/2018/11/17/walgreens-photo-personalized-fleece-photo-blanket-only-18-regularly-60-today-only/

Sorry, that sucks! BTDT!

I'm so behind on updating I give up. I went through paperwork today (very far overdue on that). On the plus side, I see that our property taxes have only went a few dollars, which is nice since they exploded a couple of years ago due to an increase in school taxes. I had budgeted a bit of an increase so we are doing well there.

We finally made it through with all the bday stuff, I didn't spend much on gifts but some on food for everyone and activities- that was about 80 (too tired to doublecheck that right now). Dh bought himself a recline used-$75- that is his Christmas gift.

I alternate between feeling like we are doing ok and that we should be doing better, at least we are putting money aside thanks to my VIPKID money, that really helps. 

Dh says his truck is pretty well ready to sell, not sure what he is asking but it is all going to buy his dad's old truck (plus some from income tax). Fingers crossed it is sold quickly and that goes off without a hitch. 

I spent $83 on a cut and highlight. First I've been to get anything done in 9 months and first highlight in over 15 yrs!!!

$40 on family pics- local girl was doing mini-session

• Like 2

I just did a ton of online Christmas shopping (plus 2 girl birthdays and some other stuff) in the wee hours.  I did get a few "Black Friday" deals and cashed in some credit card points for about $600 worth of gift cards.

I think I am done with the majority of people.  I buy for around 25 and probably average about $50 per person, obviously heavier on my kids than others.

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

I just did a ton of online Christmas shopping (plus 2 girl birthdays and some other stuff) in the wee hours.  I did get a few "Black Friday" deals and cashed in some credit card points for about $600 worth of gift cards.

I think I am done with the majority of people.  I buy for around 25 and probably average about $50 per person, obviously heavier on my kids than others.

Sweet.

7 minutes ago, soror said:

Sorry, that sucks! BTDT!

I'm so behind on updating I give up. I went through paperwork today (very far overdue on that). On the plus side, I see that our property taxes have only went a few dollars, which is nice since they exploded a couple of years ago due to an increase in school taxes. I had budgeted a bit of an increase so we are doing well there.

We finally made it through with all the bday stuff, I didn't spend much on gifts but some on food for everyone and activities- that was about 80 (too tired to doublecheck that right now). Dh bought himself a recline used-$75- that is his Christmas gift.

I alternate between feeling like we are doing ok and that we should be doing better, at least we are putting money aside thanks to my VIPKID money, that really helps. 

Dh says his truck is pretty well ready to sell, not sure what he is asking but it is all going to buy his dad's old truck (plus some from income tax). Fingers crossed it is sold quickly and that goes off without a hitch. 

I spent $83 on a cut and highlight. First I've been to get anything done in 9 months and first highlight in over 15 yrs!!!

$40 on family pics- local girl was doing mini-session

That is awesome. 

Thought of another money fail this week.  Dh and I both went grocery shopping.  We had run out of peanut butter and jelly which is staple here.  We both went and got that plus other stuff.  Argh.  At least we are stocked for a while.  Dh also picks up a ton of other things that we don't need at all.  Drives me insane.  I am trying to get rid of things and he is buying clothes and stuff because it is on sale.  

He loves to shop I think.  Like this year he spent tons of money on fancy jewelry.  I don't weary jewelry.  I would much rather have the $$.  

Need to pay a bunch of bills. 

Pay monthly dance bills .  Holy expensive batman.   Looking into auditions for intensives for the summer. 

Still thinking I may do the VIPKID thing.  I watched a bunch of videos on it.  But I would also like to have a blog and sell on Ebay and or Amazon. 

I am probably going to do some travel hacking this week.  New credit cards.  Think about what vacation we should go on next.   My tops Petra, Japan, China, or Thailand.   But a good deal can change that. 

I am going to do some banking bonuses too.  

I have pretty much stopped looking at our finances this month.  We have paid our bills and saved the amount I was planning so I'm just going to be laid back about finances until the new year.  We've put house hunting on hold until most likely spring because of some new developments in the job area so we won't know where we want to settle until those developments play out.  Not house hunting means we just keep getting to sock money away!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

I have pretty much stopped looking at our finances this month.  We have paid our bills and saved the amount I was planning so I'm just going to be laid back about finances until the new year.  We've put house hunting on hold until most likely spring because of some new developments in the job area so we won't know where we want to settle until those developments play out.  Not house hunting means we just keep getting to sock money away!

Sending some good luck your way for the job stuff. 

I didn't know that you were not going through with that house.  I bet it feels good to have a decision on that.    

Being able to keep saving money is awesome.

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Sending some good luck your way for the job stuff. 

I didn't know that you were not going through with that house.  I bet it feels good to have a decision on that.    

Being able to keep saving money is awesome.

Oh yeah, I guess things got so busy that I never updated about that house.  The owners wouldn't go below $180,000 (house is currently listed at 199,900.  Unfortunately, that is way too high for the amount of repairs that need to be done in our minds because I wouldn't pay over $150,000.  Obviously, we have a better idea of the market and value of the house than they do since the house has been on the market for 2 years.  The sad part is that it is a beautiful older home that is only going to continue to deteriorate the longer it sits uninhabited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How is everyone doing?  Anyone doing BF shopping? 

I have 0 plans of that.  But maybe if I see some good deals posted.  I am thinking of doing practical things for the kids.  Dance gear, new shoes, things they will use.  Toys they have to many of and play with them for such a short amount of time. 

No plans of it here.  Any of the deals are 45min-1h away, and I see no point in wasting a ton of time getting there and back when I know the parking lots and roads are going to make me anxious. We made our lists and have been looking for the specific items, but will do without a deal if need be. 

I did go to Sears today.  Ours is closing pretty soon and the shelves are thoroughly picked over.  I found three pairs of jeans (one in each of the next three sizes) and a hoodie and long sleeved shirt in the next size up all for the youngest.  His wardrobe was looking a little threadbare and he is finally having a growth spurt.  I'm a little excited for him.😄  All were 70% off, so I paid less total than the price of the hoodie alone. It's not a whole lot, but it will help me stretch what he has until I find some other sales.  I'd like to find him a pair of flannel lined jeans, but I know I'm going to be paying more than enough for them even out the outlet.

• Like 2

I have a couple Black Friday-ish purchases that I'll make online, but I'm not going near a store.  Nuh-uh.  No way.  DH didn't take the day off work (he can actually get work done when no one else is there), and I'm certainly not taking the kids to crowded stores with people ignoring illnesses just to get good prices.  Nope nope nope.

We bought a new fridge and an upright freezer this weekend.  In addition to a somewhat decent sale price, I had a $10 off coupon, and there was a $50 rebate if you buy two appliances.  But the leaking refrigerator will now be replaced before it starts leaking out onto the floor and causing a more expensive fix, and we don't have to replace cabinetry yet.  The new fridge is designed for "Canadian kitchens" according to the specifications (y'all got small fridge spaces in Canada or something?), and fits in the space we have.  Might be able to push our kitchen remodel back a bit now.

And now I have a place to put the 53 pounds of venison I picked up from the butcher yesterday.  The freezer wasn't delivered until this morning (fridge will get here next week), so the meat's taking up most of the main fridge's freezer for now.  It cost $107 for the tag and processing, which comes out to about $2.00/lb.

I've used 85% of the grocery budget this month - including stock-ups from online stores and the deer processing.  There's nothing else we really need except maybe bread next week, so I'll use the remainder on sales.

Property taxes on the vehicles came in less than I had estimated.  Yay old cars!

One of the local grocery stores has had other stores' gift cards for $10 off when you buy $50, up to four cards.  I bought four Kohl's cards, the closest place to run in and get clothes/shoes in an emergency ("What do you mean your recital shoes don't fit and you can't find a belt?!?"), which should cover most of our clothing purchases next year that I can't get second-hand.  My dad is also sending some hand-me-downs from my 13yo brother for my oldest son, which should help limit how much we need to spend.

And I'm totally done with DS10's Christmas shopping.  There's only a couple things left for the other two kids, some games for the "family gift", and odds and ends for extended family.  Now to put off the decorating and Christmas music as long as possible...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I have a couple Black Friday-ish purchases that I'll make online, but I'm not going near a store.  Nuh-uh.  No way.  DH didn't take the day off work (he can actually get work done when no one else is there), and I'm certainly not taking the kids to crowded stores with people ignoring illnesses just to get good prices.  Nope nope nope.

We bought a new fridge and an upright freezer this weekend.  In addition to a somewhat decent sale price, I had a $10 off coupon, and there was a $50 rebate if you buy two appliances.  But the leaking refrigerator will now be replaced before it starts leaking out onto the floor and causing a more expensive fix, and we don't have to replace cabinetry yet.  The new fridge is designed for "Canadian kitchens" according to the specifications (y'all got small fridge spaces in Canada or something?), and fits in the space we have.  Might be able to push our kitchen remodel back a bit now.

And now I have a place to put the 53 pounds of venison I picked up from the butcher yesterday.  The freezer wasn't delivered until this morning (fridge will get here next week), so the meat's taking up most of the main fridge's freezer for now.  It cost $107 for the tag and processing, which comes out to about $2.00/lb.

I've used 85% of the grocery budget this month - including stock-ups from online stores and the deer processing.  There's nothing else we really need except maybe bread next week, so I'll use the remainder on sales.

Property taxes on the vehicles came in less than I had estimated.  Yay old cars!

One of the local grocery stores has had other stores' gift cards for $10 off when you buy $50, up to four cards.  I bought four Kohl's cards, the closest place to run in and get clothes/shoes in an emergency ("What do you mean your recital shoes don't fit and you can't find a belt?!?"), which should cover most of our clothing purchases next year that I can't get second-hand.  My dad is also sending some hand-me-downs from my 13yo brother for my oldest son, which should help limit how much we need to spend.

And I'm totally done with DS10's Christmas shopping.  There's only a couple things left for the other two kids, some games for the "family gift", and odds and ends for extended family.  Now to put off the decorating and Christmas music as long as possible...

Lots of good deals.  Way to go. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Good deal on the gift cards and ya for the new frig/freezer. Would love deer meet but dh has not had time for hunting with going to college, lucky duck! My personal property taxes are about the same as usual but I think my cars are all past the point where it goes down in cost. 

Well today was a spendy day!! I don't normally do Black Friday shopping but we made some big purchases and doing them today made it a little cheaper.  Dh is making 2 benches for our fire pit so he bought $150 worth of lumber and supplies. 

I decided that since he was doing this and we will be putting hardwood floors throughout the downstairs sometime soon that we should finally buy our own miter saw and not borrow my friend's, that was $140. 

Dh is getting his tattoo worked on.  He gave his tattoo artist a bunch of boxes of comic books in exchange for some of the work being done so I don't know how much that'll be.

I decided that if dh gets to splurge on himself with his tattoo that I'm going to splurge a bit on some new clothes.  I'm reaching desperately need levels for some clothing items so I figured today was the right day to do it.  I did it all online so hopefully everything fits well.  That was $150.  For someone who usually buys stuff at thrift stores this was a huge deal.

• Like 2