Menu

What's with the ads?

heartlikealion

When you bake a pie

Do you cover the edges the whole cook time or just near the end? 

The recipe said final 10-15 min. (with a cook time of 30-40 min.) but I feel like I could have just kept edges covered the whole time maybe. I got this little silicon cover so I don’t have to rip foil. At any rate, I was a bad judge of when to add it and I burned the edges ugh. 

Just curious what most of you do. My package of pie crusts was supposed to come with 2, but only had one. I had to do a single pie crust on my pot pie so I’m already disappointed about that lol 

I do it the whole time just because it is easier than taking a hot pie out of the oven. That’s weird that the second crust was missing!

• Like 1

Next time I'll do it the whole time. I just second guessed it and wondered if it would be doughy or something. I'm going to bring to a potluck tonight. And I forgot to put slits into the pie til near the end. Hopefully it's still edible after all my mishaps LOL. Yeah, I was wondering if it flew out of the box, but I didn't see it anywhere nearby so I think they literally just packaged it wrong. 

15 minutes ago, mellifera33 said:

I cover the edge for most of the cook time, and pull the foil off near the end if I want it browner. 

That’s actually really smart! 

I cover all but the last 10-15 minutes. I don't use foil, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-Protector-9-5-Inch/dp/B00004S1BU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541097434&sr=8-3&keywords=pie+cover+crust   I uncover the last 15 minutes just 'til I get to that lovely golden brown color, otherwise it will look a bit underdone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, --- said:

I don't cover it at all.  But I make my own crust, too.  And I also makes the edges a little thicker and flute them, too.

Ditto.  I've never covered the edges. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mellifera33 said:

I cover the edge for most of the cook time, and pull the foil off near the end if I want it browner. 

This is what I do. I prefer foil to silicone, too.

• Like 1

I love burned crust and burned cookies, burned cake, the burned edges on meat...

But for those who don't...I use a square of foil that I fold in half and then cut a half circle out of the middle. I save the circle to use for other jobs, bc it is usually a nice size.

And I cover at the end. I sent the timer for less time and check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I cover all but the last 10-15 minutes. I don't use foil, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-Protector-9-5-Inch/dp/B00004S1BU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541097434&sr=8-3&keywords=pie+cover+crust   I uncover the last 15 minutes just 'til I get to that lovely golden brown color, otherwise it will look a bit underdone

I have one of these, too. It works well. I just have a real problem with silicone.

34 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

what do you mean? 

It has never worked well for me. I had silicone muffin “pans” and also bundt cake “pans” and they didn’t work for me like metal or glass. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I don’t know. I just stay away from silicone.

I use foil, cover loosely from the beginning (not touching the crust, but crimped so that it makes sort of a tent around the edge.  I check it about 15 minutes before the end, and pull it off if it needs to get browner.  Generally, though, it stays on the whole time.

I put a layer of foil around the edge and a layer of foil over the whole top because I bake from frozen.  Part way through I take the foil over the whole top off and later I take the foil over the edge off.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ