Menu

PSAT - How much math is covered?

I'm not sure I'm much help. I'm the type who needs to see a practice test to be able to figure out  if my children were ready. Even if someone said you need to have covered through chapter such and such of publisher X's alg 2, I still need to see the practice test to know for certain.  Here's a link to practice psat test with math and other sections.https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat-nmsqt-practice-test-1.pdf

and then for details on the focus, this link may help.  Once on this link, you'll need to click on the sections in Focus to learn details about "heart of algebra", "passport to advanced" and the other category. https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/inside-the-test/math

How much to get high score? not being snarky here, but as much as possible to get as many right on that practice. Because publishers will have different scope and sequence, some books will say through early part of Alg 2 will do it. Other publishers you may need to be further along.  But I'm sure others in the hive will have a better answer than that. Just wanted to share the links if that level of detail helps you the way it helps me.

• Like 2

I agree with cbollin. Kinda depends. Algebra , geo, stats/probability -- those are needed. Could be that one kid might do great with just those (or less) while another might need a year of algebra 2 (or more) to achieve a peak score.

My eldest did best after having seen some topics multiple times--so with some Pre-Calc under her belt. That has always been true of my kids; they need multiple rounds of something to 'grok' it. Others achieve mastery much easier/quicker. I know a few kids who can get close to perfect on the PSAT with only Algebra 1 and a little basic geometry as long as they had probability in Alg 1 or earlier.

• Like 1

Possibly this URL (and others) on the CollegeBoard web site will give you some of the answers you are looking for. There is a lot of OFFICIAL information available on KhanAcademy for SAT and probably they also have stuff for PSAT/NMSQT?   It is important that your student takes the PSAT/NMSQT during October of the Junior year. It is more important they do that if they qualify as "Hispanic" for the National Hispanic Recognition program.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/inside-the-test/math

• Thanks 1