Menu

What's with the ads?

Ann.without.an.e

Do you answer your door to strangers?

We live on a deadend street in a deadend neighborhood so very very rarely get anyone coming to the door.  Delivery guys don't usually come around to the door.  Our "front" door is around the back of the house.  We have a gate to get into the yard so they usually leave packages there or in the driveway.  If I'm sitting in my chair in the living room, I can see someone walk by two windows to get to the front door so will usually know if someone is coming to the door.

We did have a problem for a while when a house farther down our street was for sale but GPS kept putting them at our house.  Just ignore the GIANT number on our garage that was clearly not the number they were looking for.   A realtor actually broke into our house while we were gone to "show" it, thinking it was this empty house for sale, moved furniture because they were scared of the dog barking in the bathroom.  I ended up calling the police because I came home to furniture moved around.  It was bizarre.  I badly wanted to call the persons boss and complain but the cops didn't give us the name when they explained what happened.   Even without the barking dog, nothing about my house would give the impression that nobody lives here, they entered through a window in ds's room.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

We live on a deadend street in a deadend neighborhood so very very rarely get anyone coming to the door.  Delivery guys don't usually come around to the door.  Our "front" door is around the back of the house.  We have a gate to get into the yard so they usually leave packages there or in the driveway.  If I'm sitting in my chair in the living room, I can see someone walk by two windows to get to the front door so will usually know if someone is coming to the door.

We did have a problem for a while when a house farther down our street was for sale but GPS kept putting them at our house.  Just ignore the GIANT number on our garage that was clearly not the number they were looking for.   A realtor actually broke into our house while we were gone to "show" it, thinking it was this empty house for sale, moved furniture because they were scared of the dog barking in the bathroom.  I ended up calling the police because I came home to furniture moved around.  It was bizarre.  I badly wanted to call the persons boss and complain but the cops didn't give us the name when they explained what happened.   Even without the barking dog, nothing about my house would give the impression that nobody lives here, they entered through a window in ds's room.

How did the police figure out what happened?  Did the people they showed it to make an offer on your house?  I would have been really freaked out coming home to that.

• Like 1

Our local police advises that we ALWAYS answer the door or at least let people at the door know we are home. They say that unknown people coming to the door may be casing the house to make sure nobody is home. If you don't answer, they are more likely to break in. We had a recent news story where a couple of guys were going around in a truck, knocking on doors, and then robbing the houses if nobody answered. At one house, the woman didn't answer and, when the man went back to the truck to get his accomplice, she opened the door and filmed them.  They took off, but that's how they were caught.

It makes me nervous if my kids are home alone, but I guess they could yell through a door or window or answer if the screen/storm door is locked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, school17777 said:

How did the police figure out what happened?  Did the people they showed it to make an offer on your house?  I would have been really freaked out coming home to that.

Evidently the realtor who broke in called one of the officers, who was a friend of hers, and told them what happened.  

• Like 1

@gardenmom5 that's a pretty sweet deal ya got going there. 

Even when we lived out in the country, I did answer the door. Usually to tell them I wasn't interested, sometimes I'd listen, but usually not. 

The biggest deterent, according to police, is a dog, hopefully one that sounds fierce. Apparently black dogs also strike the fear zone too. I love black dogs.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 12:31 PM, Attolia said:

Crazy question, I know.  We are on land, no other houses or neighbors in clear sight.  I am always torn on this.  I do open the door for people I know.  I rarely open it for others.  We aren't in a neighborhood so we are spared most door to door people.  Today, I watched as a car flew into my driveway and a man jumped out and came to my door in a hurry and knocked.  His demeanor seemed angry.  I didn't know this man and didn't answer the door ? I feel really guilty for having him just stand there but I didn't go to the door, nope...especially since he seemed angry and on edge.  

No idea what he wanted.  It just made me think.  Do you answer your door?  Is it just incredibly rude to not answer?  

I would not have in this case. When we lived in the country, we had large dogs. It's usually a little different when you crack the door open and a large mastiff head appears in the doorway. People tend to get all nice and polite and even step back a little. ? If it isn't someone I know or a delivery person like FedEx, etc, I may not open the door. If I feel I should ascertain what's going on I may talk through the door. They can usually hear the dog barking so I can say I don't want to open the door because of the dog. I did this once when someone came and said they needed to use my phone (before cells). Uhhmm, no. I was home alone with dogs (thank God). He was not happy but had to leave eventually.

• Like 1

We’re in a similar situation.  I do but I generally say hi through the screen door while sussing them first.  Our screen door doesn’t actually lock but maybe they will think it does!  I’ve had some chats with Jws but got tired of it because they only wanted to share their viewpoint of religion and not listen to mine... most people who drop in are looking for the people who used to live here and have all sorts of weird connections.  I still feel safer letting them know they no longer live here so they move on and leave us alone.  One of their connections we had met also and he was definitely dodgy.  He started asking if DH was into firearms still and how many dogs we had.  I evaded question 1 and emphasised that the dog he could see barking aggressively was very untrustworthy with anyone outside the family.  Haven’t seen him since.

where we live there’s always the likelihood that someone has hit a kangaroo and needs help euthanising or broken down without cellphone signal.  

• Like 1

The last time that a stranger came to our door, it was a young woman who was running away from her abusive boyfriend who had taken her phone. I'm glad we let her in. I knew that it could have been a scam, but most people wouldn't brave our not-so-friendly dog unless they really needed help. I drove her to a safe place and gave her an earful of advice on the way. 

• Like 1

You drive up in a delivery truck or a utility company truck, I answer. You're a neighbor I recognize, I answer. Everybody else, generally no. (I did answer once when it was a whole family--they'd showed up to help neighbors move out & neighbors weren't home and they needed to borrow my phone to try to reach them. But if you have a clipboard, I'm going back to what I'm doing.) I live in too popular a neighborhood with salespeople to drop what I'm doing and come listen to every spiel--same as for answering the phone.

People are not entitled to my time just because I work at home.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I never answer the door to strangers.

Me too.  Probably from where I grew up, as this area is tons safer.  But still never ever.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gaillardia said:

@gardenmom5 that's a pretty sweet deal ya got going there. 

Even when we lived out in the country, I did answer the door. Usually to tell them I wasn't interested, sometimes I'd listen, but usually not. 

The biggest deterent, according to police, is a dog, hopefully one that sounds fierce. Apparently black dogs also strike the fear zone too. I love black dogs.

black labs are very dangerous.  they'll knock you over with their tail, or drown you with their slobber.  ?

golden's have the rep for taking the thief to the goodies . . . of course, a golden's idea of goodies are dog biscuits.  my friend's son, sent one of his guys to my friend's house to do some work.  gave him a key.  their golden was actually quite protective.  they guy called the son "the dog won't let me in" . . . they told him to ask dog if he wanted a biscuit.  his demeanor changed instantly.  then he was told to tell the dog to "take me to the biscuits . .. . "   . . that's all it took.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I usually do, because it's usually a hay customer, or someone looking for dh. However, we have a hay shed being built right now. I really don't like having strangers driving through past the barn. We've never had a creep come to the door--5 big dogs tends to cut down on that. The Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons know better than to come here. The last Jehovah's Witnesses came years ago. I was on a rank, green horse, and had been working to bunch and move heifers for an hour to take them to the hill pastures. The JW blew in and scattered them! I came down HARD on their windshield with my stock whip and they never came back. I think there's a symbol on my mailbox that says "crazy woman lives here"!

• Like 1

If it's a delivery person, sure but even they usually leave before I get the door open lol. I know our UPS guy but they rotate the FedEx people so I don't really know them. Mostly I feel like it's okay for me to ignore the door here. You see, I've heard a couple scary stories, like the lady that occasionally babysits dd. Well apparently one time she was home with her door open (screen door shut) and a man came up to the house in broad daylight with a gun. I think she slammed the front door on him and he left and was never caught? Stuff like that freaks me out. Also, two nuns from our parish were murdered in their own home. Obviously the guy had problems, but I assume they either partly opened the door and he forced his way in or fully opened it without realizing the danger. That was at night. 

If dh sends a student or someone to our home to get something, he will text me in advance. But I have discouraged that. He tries to do interactions at his work (ie. when someone mowed our yard and they were looking for payment. He asked them to come to his work, not home. They both worked on campus). We have had students come knocking at our door at night before looking for dh. They didn't state who they were. We flat out ignored them. Dh called the campus police and we later found out they had locked their student ID in his library. Umm and what do you want us to do about it? Have dh go out in the middle of the night and unlock the library to get it for you? Heck, maybe they were locked out of their dorm. I have no idea. But we weren't taking chances. 

I usually don’t, but a few weeks ago we had a very confused elderly lady knock on the door asking for help. She had dementia and couldn’t find her way home. I was glad that I broke my don’t answer rule for her—I hate to think what could have happened if she had wandered around in the dark all night.