Menu

Do you answer your door to strangers?

Ann.without.an.e

You drive up in a delivery truck or a utility company truck, I answer. You're a neighbor I recognize, I answer. Everybody else, generally no. (I did answer once when it was a whole family--they'd showed up to help neighbors move out & neighbors weren't home and they needed to borrow my phone to try to reach them. But if you have a clipboard, I'm going back to what I'm doing.) I live in too popular a neighborhood with salespeople to drop what I'm doing and come listen to every spiel--same as for answering the phone.

People are not entitled to my time just because I work at home.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gaillardia said:

@gardenmom5 that's a pretty sweet deal ya got going there. 

Even when we lived out in the country, I did answer the door. Usually to tell them I wasn't interested, sometimes I'd listen, but usually not. 

The biggest deterent, according to police, is a dog, hopefully one that sounds fierce. Apparently black dogs also strike the fear zone too. I love black dogs.

black labs are very dangerous.  they'll knock you over with their tail, or drown you with their slobber.  ?

golden's have the rep for taking the thief to the goodies . . . of course, a golden's idea of goodies are dog biscuits.  my friend's son, sent one of his guys to my friend's house to do some work.  gave him a key.  their golden was actually quite protective.  they guy called the son "the dog won't let me in" . . . they told him to ask dog if he wanted a biscuit.  his demeanor changed instantly.  then he was told to tell the dog to "take me to the biscuits . .. . "   . . that's all it took.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I usually don’t, but a few weeks ago we had a very confused elderly lady knock on the door asking for help. She had dementia and couldn’t find her way home. I was glad that I broke my don’t answer rule for her—I hate to think what could have happened if she had wandered around in the dark all night.