Menu

Anyone want to suggest schools to visit?

Daria

DS is looking for a school .  His wish list for a school would look like this:

Coed

Exercise Science or related major

Located in, or close to a city.  

Racially diverse (and diverse in other ways)

Small

Good LD/executive functioning support

Average ACT's somewhere around 20 (DS's are higher, but our experience tells us that he'll do best when he's near the top)

So far he really likes Barry in Miami and Marymount outside of DC.  He's willing to go anywhere in the country.

Anyone have ideas on where to look?

I think COC is both too big, and too selective/academically demanding.  But it's definitely got that cool city aspect that he wants.

Does anyone have experience with Guilford?  Or know anything about Greensboro?  It seems like it might be worth a look.

3 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Okay, not near a city, and not terribly diverse, but our local college, Western State College of Colorado, has a strong exercise science program. The ACT is about right, and it has good LD support. It IS cold, though! They have a state of the art HAP Lab. https://www.western.edu/academics/undergraduate/exercise-sport-science-ess/high-altitude-performance-lab-hap-lab

Thanks!

I think it's not a fit, but I'm always interested in learning about schools I've never heard of.

• Like 1

Oglethorpe University in Atlanta is very diverse and obviously in a big city. It is usually on lists of most diverse schools and schools that are most supportive of minority populations.  It is a very small liberal arts college so I doubt they have exercise science but I do know that they support their students there in what they want to pursue and find ways to get students what they need. My son's girlfriend is a physics major there, and while it cannot boast of the opportunities a major university has, she has gotten individual attention and coursework (literally-she is the only physics major in her class). She had a REU at a major university last summer and she has been to conferences, etc. I really don't know a ton about it just that sometimes these smaller schools meet students where they are as far as majors and career goals. The location in Atlanta affords many opportunities to fill gaps with coursework at other universities, too. 

The average ACT is higher than 20. Probably mid twenties. There is a large range of student aptitude and achievement there. From kids that had lower than 20 ACT for admission to obviously strong students that do a 3/2 engineering program and finish up at Ga Tech. 

You have a tough list of qualifications, actually. Good luck to you!

Augsberg University is practically downtown Minneapolis MN and the average ACT scores are 19-25.  It does have an exercise science major.   It's a smallish school overall.  I think about 2500 students.  We know several students who have had a great experience there.  The school itself is reasonably diverse for the upper midwest.  Class of 2020 is 45% minority.  

http://www.augsburg.edu/

On Diversity  http://www.augsburg.edu/news/2016/08/29/equityday/

• Like 1

I know a little about Guilford. I've always heard it has a very supportive atmosphere - especially in helping kids on an individual basis. Quakers are like that. ? Greensboro is a nice small city. Definitely diverse. Politically mixed. Because there are state universities there, it has a bit of a college town vibe in places.

I did think of Marymount before I saw you'd listed it. The campus is little and pretty. I used to use their library a lot when I lived in Nova and was working on my master's. They have an excellent reputation for working with students with learning issues.

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Augsberg University is practically downtown Minneapolis MN and the average ACT scores are 19-25.  It does have an exercise science major.   It's a smallish school overall.  I think about 2500 students.  We know several students who have had a great experience there.  The school itself is reasonably diverse for the upper midwest.  Class of 2020 is 45% minority.  

http://www.augsburg.edu/

On Diversity  http://www.augsburg.edu/news/2016/08/29/equityday/

I was going to suggest the same one exactly!  (My dd went there.)

http://www.augsburg.edu/hpe/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daria said:

I think COC is both too big, and too selective/academically demanding.  But it's definitely got that cool city aspect that he wants.

Does anyone have experience with Guilford?  Or know anything about Greensboro?  It seems like it might be worth a look.

My sister-in-law went to Guilford and loved it (she didn't graduate from there; ended up taking a break and finishing her degree much later elsewhere, but she says it wasn't Guilford's fault). That was 25 years ago, but that's all I've got! 

And I was going to throw Oglethorpe out there as well, although I don't know a lot about it.

8 hours ago, Daria said:

My sister-in-law also went to Guilford. I remember she had an issue with course offerings a few semesters and ended up needing to take a few at UNC to complete her program on time. She went on to get a MD/PhD and is now finishing her fellowship in neonatolgy with research in placental health in relation to the fetal brain development with imaging. She is now applying for jobs and getting offers from Yale, Tufts, Dallas, Northwestern, etc.

4 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Oglethorpe University in Atlanta is very diverse and obviously in a big city. It is usually on lists of most diverse schools and schools that are most supportive of minority populations.  It is a very small liberal arts college so I doubt they have exercise science but I do know that they support their students there in what they want to pursue and find ways to get students what they need. My son's girlfriend is a physics major there, and while it cannot boast of the opportunities a major university has, she has gotten individual attention and coursework (literally-she is the only physics major in her class). She had a REU at a major university last summer and she has been to conferences, etc. I really don't know a ton about it just that sometimes these smaller schools meet students where they are as far as majors and career goals. The location in Atlanta affords many opportunities to fill gaps with coursework at other universities, too. 

The average ACT is higher than 20. Probably mid twenties. There is a large range of student aptitude and achievement there. From kids that had lower than 20 ACT for admission to obviously strong students that do a 3/2 engineering program and finish up at Ga Tech. 

You have a tough list of qualifications, actually. Good luck to you!

Oglethorpe looks perfect, except for the scores, but I think that's a deal breaker.  His confidence as a student is very shaky, so I'd love for him to be in the top 25%, not the bottom.  

15 minutes ago, Daria said:

Oglethorpe looks perfect, except for the scores, but I think that's a deal breaker.  His confidence as a student is very shaky, so I'd love for him to be in the top 25%, not the bottom.  

I understand. I have one like that too. 

Just thought I’d mention it because it is an interesting school and my ds has enjoyed Atlanta. And most people have never heard of it. 

You might want to look into Springfield College in Springfield, MA. It's small, in a city (though not a big one--around 150,000) and the test scores line up with what you're looking for. Also, it looks pretty diverse https://manhattan.edu/admissions/visit/maps-directions.php

There are a lot of kids around here that look there/attend for exercise science, PT, etc., so I would think it's strong in those areas.

I also thought of U Scranton, but the avg ACT is a little higher.

I love Greensboro. I think it is a great city. Downtown is doing very well, and it is a great place to hang out. There is also the International Civil Rights Center and Museum downtown, which is in the Woolworth building where the sit-ins occurred.

Guilford College is not downtown, but it is not far from downtown. Locally, it has a reputation for being quirky/crunchy. Many locals enjoy going to Guilford College when it has the Eastern Music Festival in the summer.

Edited by Penguin

19 hours ago, whitestavern said:

You might want to look into Springfield College in Springfield, MA. It's small, in a city (though not a big one--around 150,000) and the test scores line up with what you're looking for. Also, it looks pretty diverse https://manhattan.edu/admissions/visit/maps-directions.php

There are a lot of kids around here that look there/attend for exercise science, PT, etc., so I would think it's strong in those areas.

I also thought of U Scranton, but the avg ACT is a little higher.

Thanks, that looks like it might be a great fit!

Drury University in Springfield, Missouri might work. The average ACT is higher than he is looking for; Springfield is a small city (167,000), and it probably isn't as diverse as he wants. It does have an Exercise Physiology major, it is a small school and their disability services office is fantastic to work with!

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 5:52 AM, kewb said:

The school my son attends hits most of your marks. It is not near a city. They do have a top notch Kiniseology department. He was originally going to major in Exercise Science. 

McDaniel College in Maryland

He just visited McDaniel on Monday and he really liked it.  

• Like 2