Menu

Math Honor Society for high schoolers?

mirabillis

I'm asking here as you guys have BTDT. I know there have also been quite a few real mathy kids come before (thinking of you Kathy in Richmond) so reaching out here...

What is the value of applying to the Mu Eta Sigma homeschool math honor society for college app purposes? http://www.mathhonorsociety.com

My son is really mathy - it comes naturally to him. Currently taking AP Stats & AP Calc AB (11th) but probably could have easily doubled up AP Calc BC this year. Scored a solid 780 on Math II SAT Subj test. That said, he's not looking toward STEM majors. He loves math and the mathy sciences, but is planning on majoring Economics or Finance...

Would it be worthwhile to apply for this honor society to highlight his mathy side that may/may not go unnoticed?

• Like 1

Honestly? I've never heard of Mu Eta Sigma.

I took a look at their website. All they require is a standardized test score (SAT math 600 or equivalent), 10 hours of community service per  year, and an *annual* membership fee.  I think that while it can't hurt your son to apply, I doubt that it would be of any significant help in college apps.

• Like 1

There are IMO some very questionable Honor societies soliciting applicants and their $.  DD received 2 or 3 emails, from one of those, in recent months.  I had never heard of it, although on their Home Page they listed some organizations that I know and respect, as Partners.  Possibly it was OK.    I told DD, "even if it was free, I am afraid that an Admissions person might see that on your application and laugh".

That's a lot different than my reaction, 2 weeks ago, when she was asked to apply to the National Honor Society.  She did apply for that.

D's had the opportunity to apply for a homeschool honors society a couple years ago. The big city homeschool group we are members of (but too far away to be active in) has a chapter. When I looked at the hoops to jump through to be a member (letters of rec, standardized test scores, small number of houts of community service), it was clear to me that there was no reason to apply/be a member. It added absolutely nothing extra because she wouldn't be involved in any local activities and her service hours / stats / letters of rec would be submitted on applications directly.

• Like 2

I hate to disagree with the Hive, but I do (just a little).  I don't think OP 's son's math classes and grades will go unnoticed, but does he have any co-curricular math activities?  Some scholarship and state school honor programs have a box check off for this.  The homeschool honor societies were developed as a homeschool counterpart to the National Honor Society, as homechoolers were not allowed admission .  I was kind of surprised that a B average was all that was required for the National Honor Society.                  https://www.nhs.us/students/membership/how-to-become-a-member/  It looks ike the homeschool math honor society might be about the same level, not sure how the SAT score correlates to high school grades.

Obviously,neither one is not going to impress elite school admission offices, but if your son doesn't have any other math honors/competitions ect,  ( fairly common that Econ/Finance peeps are good at math but don't want to spend extra time with this stuff -at least at my house) it is pretty cheap,and is another avenue to demonstrate a pattern of  academic achievement.  

Edited by SilverBrook