Menu

UPDATED DC People: Gaithersburg, Rockville

Rockhopper

UPDATED at the bottom of the thread

Apparently a move is in our future, and I want to start honing in on the area where I will look.

I'll be honest; I'm looking for the "perfect" neighborhood. Timing is bad for another move and I need to stack the cards as much as possible for a positive experience.

"Perfect" means:

-wooded views available

-walking paths nearby

-within walking distance to library, park, restaurant

-reasonable commute to a Metro station

-an easy car trip to a grocery store and a Target

I'm thinking the Gaithersburg/Rockville area near the Shady Grove station is probably most feasible. The commute is to North Bethesda and I'm pretty sure Chevy Chase/Silver Springs are out of our budget.

I'm fine with a townhouse but I think I have to have one this time a little bit bigger than what I think of as the "standard" DC-area townhouse. I need 4 actual bedrooms (not using the basement/ground floor bonus room as a bedroom) and an extra room of some kind for a family/game room besides the living room. Bedrooms don't have to be big, though. Of course a house would be fine too if I could find one in budget. But right now I don't need to find an actual place, just start narrowing down the area.

Do you know of any neighborhoods/communities where I should look?

Edited by Rockhopper

I think that you might consider Kentlands. Gaithersburg is fabulous - lots of fun things to do nearby... so many options!

There is much more to Silver Spring than Bethesda / Chevy Chase.  You might be able to find what you want in the older neighborhoods (Silver Spring, Rockville, Wheaton) a bit farther outside the Beltway.  There are plenty of neighborhoods from the 60s and 70s with treed lots, some open spaces.  They will be in great locations, right in the middle of it all.

If a longer commute is possible, then maybe look in Northern Virginia. 

But I cannot say if you will be able to find a larger townhouse that is affordable.  It all depends on what you are expecting.  We moved from Maryland to Loudon County and then further south to afford a house with a good yard on one income.   

• Like 2

PG County is booming. Hyattsville/College Park/Mt Ranier might have what you want at a more reasonable price. Or Greenbelt or Cheverly are further out but still close to Metro. There's a great homeschool co-op in Cheverly. Especially if you're homeschooling and don't care about shopping your school district. A lot of those neighborhoods have a good bit of character (in the good way).

"Silver Spring" (no s) isn't a single place... I mean, downtown "Spring Spring" is Silver Spring. White Oak is Silver Spring. Way the bleep up 29 most of the way to Laurel is "Silver Spring." Basically, everything in lower MoCo that isn't something else is "Silver Spring." Which is to say, you might well be able to afford Silver Spring if you're looking at Rockville. The neighborhoods off University might have what you want. Or some of the neighborhoods around Wheaton. Or further up 29, like off Cherry Hill Road, near Paint Branch.

Someone mentioned Takoma Park, but it's very expensive... still some of the PG County parts of Takoma Park, like off New Hampshire, used to be a bit affordable. But the houses are probably too small for what you're describing.

I don't know what your budget is, but something on your list may have to give. For people set on the 4 bedrooms on a big lot surrounded by green kind of people, they tend to either have to have the big money or to have to give up being a reasonable (in my own opinion) distance to the Metro. Or you sacrifice that extra bedroom in favor of being closer to stuff, especially to the city.

ETA: I can't think of nearly anywhere in MoCo and PG that doesn't have nearby parks and trails and nearish libraries, supermarkets, shopping, etc. It's such a developed area but with plenty of parks and trails that you don't even have to think about that stuff really. It's more the walkability issue and the Metro nearness.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

Thanks to each of you -- I appreciate having more things to think about and areas to consider.  

Some more background info:

We used to live in Anne Arundel, south of BWI. There was a lot I liked about that area but it's too far away from dh's work this time, plus if we wanted to use public transportation into DC, we either had to take a MARC train to the Metro and that got expensive, or drive quite a ways to get to the New Carrollton station.

We were in a townhouse before. I don't mind not having a yard at all, but we loved the fact that our unit had a line of trees behind it -- not much but enough to give the impression of some green space. So that's what I'm referring to with "wooded views." It really helped my dh cope with townhouse living better to have trees out back. And our townhouse community had walking paths through it, which we also enjoyed.

Our (young) adult son will likely move with us. Our girls are very widely spaced, and the older one has pretty serious anxiety and insomnia, so having her share with a younger elementary age kid is just not a good idea. Hence our need for four bedrooms, even if they're closet-sized.

We won't be moving until the summer (or maybe even later, if dh moves first without us, depending on what happens with our current house), and we're just starting to work on budget. But this was not expected, and the troops aren't excited, and the only way I can exert some level of control over the situation (in my mind, at least ? ) is to at least start trying to narrow my search area. We're not even sure if we'd rent again or try to buy, but (getting personal here, lol) I'm guessing if we rent we'd want to try to stay at a max of $2700/mo. I kind of like the idea of buying something older and doing some reno, but that's also a pretty scary thought.

All things being equal, I'd rather live in NoVa than MD, but I don't think dh or I are willing to deal with the commute. 

We do homeschool (and I've hs'ed in MD before, so the portfolio process is familiar) but I'm not sure what my high schooler will end up doing. She does "class days" where we are now (like tutorials) for a couple of classes. The youngest and I will probably resume our previous schedule of Field Trip Thursdays. I'm a bit burnt out on co-ops at the moment so we'll probably do our own thing, at least at first. 

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1

The "co-op" I referenced in Cheverly is actually a "tutorial." That's why we chose it - all middle and high school, no parent involvement required (or wanted really). Though we're not super involved there.

That price does limit you... but I think you'll find something. I know a couple of families renting in that range near Wheaton. Not walking distance to much, but biking distance to metro and obviously really close in overall. Good luck.

We just moved away from Kentland area (just south closer to The Crown).  It's very uppity and expensive.  Traffic was getting worse because of all new housing going up. Taxes are very high on that side of 270 because it's closer to Potomac.   When we moved away last fall it went down by 2K per year.  Same county, larger lot but smaller house.  

We now live in Rockville in an older neighborhood.  Neighborhood is from the 60s... many houses have been tastefully re-done and a few ugly mansions.  Many are still nearly like the original.  For instance: ours is still the original with a sunroom and a 2nd story added on in the 80s.  Our garage was turned into the Master.  Several houses like that instead of bulldozing and putting in a mansion.  1 acre lots with many old trees.

Walking distance to shops and library would mean you'd want a planned neighborhood.  Kentlands is like that, but the library isn't in Kentlands.   There's also a planned area near Rockville Towne Center.

You'll want to be near Rt. 355 if you want to be near the Metro.

You can PM me if you want.  I spent about 8 months looking for our house last year.  I'm familiar with lots of neighborhoods and areas in MoCo.  I can get you in touch with a good realtor if you want.

• Like 1

Answering one of your questions:

Chevy Chase is probably out of the budget.  Super expensive. 

We looked in parts of Silver Spring (near the 650 and ICC).  We were looking to downsize and not spend a fortune.  There are many great houses out there, but they may not be within walking distance of shops, like you want - until you get to downtown SS... which is expensive.      The ICC has been a game-changer here.  Getting to Bethesda might still be difficult going out the ICC but you should check it out, just in case it gives you more options. 

• Like 1

I want to say thanks again to each of you who responded earlier -- your help was ... well, helpful! 🙂

We have a place! We're going to be in Kensington (near Wheaton) just east of Rock Creek Park. Dh's commute will be about 4 miles by bike, and nearly all of it in the park/dedicated bike path. If there's bad weather, there's a bus stop a half-mile from the house with an 18 minute trip to work. Very, very workable -- and we'll only need one car!

It's a single-family home. A Cape Cod!! (I was pretty resigned to having to go to a split-level, which I -and I promise I don't mean to offend anyone who has one or loves them!-  hate.) Four actual bedrooms (one small, which works out just fine for us). Family room with fireplace in the basement, as well as an office room with a door and a closet.  Storage room in the basement also, which helps with the lack of a garage. Nice backyard with a playset for youngest and trees along the fenceline; neighbors behind are on a cul-de-sac separated by the trees. A tree fort may be in our future! And about a block and a half away from Rock Creek Park. Also only a mile from the library, and a farmer's market, and some shopping. Four miles to Trader Joe's, and 2.5 miles to the nearest Metro stop for trips downtown. 

A really nicely updated kitchen! Yay! I have looked at so many horrifically bad updates on houses over the last few months. I would've loved gas, but I can live - once again - with a glass top stove. Full baths on each level, and the adult son/guest room is even on the main floor -- an added blessing for when our aging parents visit! So many, many pros and not too many cons. 🙂

Major downsizing is in order, as the square footage is a pretty substantial decrease from our cookie-cutter Texas McMansion, but I'm totally okay with that. We've been here less than 3 years, and some of the stuff we accumulated was stuff we knew wouldn't move with us from the beginning.  We stayed nearly in the budget we were hoping for, and enough below our housing allowance to account, hopefully, for most utilities. I think selling a car and dropping the insurance on it will help too, plus dh can qualify for a mass transit subsidy/reimbursement for bus fares, so I think we'll find it works out okay money-wise.

We are excited -- and the kids are getting there. I'm looking forward to field trip Thursdays!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2019 at 9:18 AM, PrincessMommy said:

So happy for you.  I love Kensington, it just wasn't a good spot for my dh's commute.  Many wonderful houses there - and a few Mcmansions. 

What is field Trip Thursdays?  

@PrincessMommy Sorry I took so long to respond -- but I just posted (and cross-posted!) about the field trip co-op I'm planning for next year. When we lived in DC before, we participated in an American Girl field trip group that did field trips every Thursday. I'm not sure what day of the week we'll do this time, and I'm only planning on doing American Girl ones every other week. I'll probably do Zoo and/or Natural History museum trips on quite a few alternate weeks, though. If you know anyone who'd be interested in joining us, please let me know!

• Like 1