Menu

FAFSA verification--one college or all?

Bristayl

We've received notice from one college that our FAFSA was selected for verification (not surprising since we didn't use the IRS DRT), and we will need to submit a tax return transcript, which we can get as an online download. Does this mean that we will need to submit this verification document to all the colleges that received our FAFSA? Just wondering.

• Like 1

I agree with RootAnn.  I don't think so.  I believe this is something an individual school does.  Not sure if there is any correlation between the FAFSA verification's and the CSS Profile verification's but I suspect there is.   DD submitted the CSS Profile to four (4) universities. Three (3) of them are Private and One (1) is Public. 

Approximately 5 hours after the CSS Profile was submitted, I logged into the account to see if it was going OK and there was an "Alert".  One of the Private universities required 1040s, W2s, 1099s, and a Dependency Verification statement, which we have now submitted and they have processed.  I believe the CSS Profile was submitted on Sunday, so in this case, I believe the request for documentation was automatic, for that particular university.

• Like 2

At a college financial aid session (not sponsored by an individual college but by a non-profit group), I think they said some of these verifications are random -- like one in ten or one in four. I don't know if that is true because there was at least one thing they said that was incorrect. So, this could also be untrue. Who knows . . . 

• Like 2

We were selected for verification last year and had to do it for  all of the college applied to....the colleges didn't all ask for exactly the same documents though. I have no idea what is 'normal'. One college asked for a transcript and then shortly after said they didn't need it. 

Edited by Jen500
  • Like 2

I like the convenience of submitting verification,  with the CSS Profile, if it needs to be done, but, that costs $ for each school. And, most schools do not use the CSS Profile.   The advantage is that if another school requests something that we have already uploaded to their server, we don't need to spend more time to do that again.

So far, none of the schools DD sent the FAFSA to have requested verification, but, with time, that may happen...

Edited by Lanny
Add sentence about FAFSA verification
  • Like 1

Check with financial aid offices. If they are holding your financial aid offer until they get the verification done, yes, you need to send them the transcript and anything else they need to verify. If they will send you an offer, subject to verification, then you can wait until your student decides which admissions offer to accept.

This is only a problem during high school senior year, when you're not sure which school you're going to attend.

• Like 1