Menu

What's with the ads?

Quill

S/o Lottery winnings Have you known a winner?

Have you known a winner of a significant lottery? How about someone you have a notion did win a big prize but did not tell anyone? 

I do have one relative whom I have often thought won a significant lottery. I could even point to a particular time when it seemed like they went from “comfortable” with money to something above that. They have had successful work lives, but I don’t think their attitude about money is explained completely by their work incomes. It seems a little more like having to think through money doesn’t occur to them anymore. Like in the Lotto thread where Oprah “forgot” that most people don’t get fresh bedsheets unless they wash them themselves and re-make the bed. 

I have a friend whose brother won the lottery.  It is a big secret - I'm not supposed to know. 

He was raised in a penny-pinching family and he is still a penny-pincher, to a fault even.  (He has other issues - a little too intense about certain things - but no, he has not loosened up about money.)

He did buy a nice house and furnish it, but every item purchased had to pass the same test as if it was his mother shopping at an antique store with $25 to spend.

• Like 1

My speech therapist won a couple of million.  She and her husband kept their jobs.  They remodeled the house and went on a few trips.

• Like 1

I was in a lottery pool that would have won the second prize once.  Each share would have been somewhere between $15K and $20K, which was a nice amount of money in the 80s.  But the guy who played our numbers was out of town, and his substitute failed to play them due to a miscommunication.  (This was verified independently, just in case he got tempted).  So I didn’t mind that much because I figured I never had the money in the first place so I didn’t really lose it, but others were furious and it kind of broke up the group.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Dh's uncle won $4 million a few years ago. All I know was that he planned to buy a new truck. As far as we know, he's still living way up on the side of a mountain. I think I have met him once, just after we were married. We don't really keep in touch with that branch of the family tree, but maybe we should!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope.  When I was in highschool, my boyfriend's family won a couple hundred.  They lived in a not-well-off area and chose to spend the money on a "nice dinner out" so they took a bunch of family members to eat at Red Lobster.  They were so pleased with their winnings and feeling generous that I got to tag along, too.  It was the first time I'd been to a "fancy" restaurant like Red Lobster.  ?

Edited by Garga
  • Haha 3

I do. She won a million dollars. She was in her late 60s. She always rented from a relative and was on public assistance her entire adult life. So, no job to quit or mortgage to pay off.

Her kids quickly encouraged her to put it an annuity (I think that's what they did) So she gets a monthly check for the rest of her life. She gave some to each of her kids (maybe 20k?) She bought a brand new car. She kept some more out to just blow. Well 6ish years later the blow-money is gone. So, the kids did the right thing.

She had to adjust to paying her own health insurance and car insurance. She hasn't traveled or done anything really spectacular. However, whatever her monthly check is, it's now more than she had each month on public assistance. The kids were hoping she's do more with the opportunity.

She did have people approach her and ask for money, so that's what happened to the blow-money. 

• Sad 1

I have never known a lottery winner, but I don't know anyone that plays all that often.   In fact I am the only one I know that has won anything bigger than a door prize at a craft fair lol.

• Haha 1

Dh's grandfather alway played and apparently won several hundred or a few thousand repeatedly. But no giant payouts.

I know more game show winners than lottery winners.

• Like 1

I knew a couple who won an amount in the mid-seven figures. They actually did a lot of good with it, donated a ton to local parks and stuff, but in less than three years it was all gone, they were struggling to afford medications, and then like two years after that the wife got arrested for shoplifting liquor. The whole thing was really sad, they were the nicest couple, but they just couldn’t get it together, even with an opportunity like that.

• Sad 1

I don't know anybody who plays. Or maybe they just don't tell me because I've occasionally made the crack about the lotto being a tax on people who are bad at math. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I know a couple who won $49 million. They used some for various things, but with the bulk of it they purchased a nostalgic motel in their hometown. However they lost the motel due to damage from Hurricane Harvey and are not reopening it.

• Sad 1

My dad won a few hundred bucks when I was a kid, but that's it.  My local minimart puts copies of winning tickets up and there are always one or two five figure winners.

I do play regularly, and find it fun.  There are a million "normal" things I don't waste my money on, so ?.  But I do get sad when I see people dropping lots and lots of cash on tickets.

• Like 1

I went to high school with a kid whose parents won the lottery - twice.  One time around $5 million, and the other around $3 million.  I always wondered why someone who won $5 million still played the lottery.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

the son of my dinner companion last night won $1M.   dad was mad he'd paid off his girlfriend (girlfriend!)'s student loans.  she still works in a bar.  he bought a house, bought cars, bought vacations . ..  the money is gone.

there's a reason accountants tell people to take the 20 year payout.   most people lack the discipline required.  (and why the subtitle of that is: if you know why you should take the 20 year payout, you probably can handle it.)   I heard an ad on the radio today about a guy who won a significant payout - and how it ruined his life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

I went to high school with a kid whose parents won the lottery - twice.  One time around $5 million, and the other around $3 million.  I always wondered why someone who won $5 million still played the lottery.

Well I posted on the other thread about my elderly neighbour.  She did great with  her roughly  $ 2 million.  Each of her children received a significant gift, some charity, and she had a really good time with the rest.  She still plays automatically the same numbers twice a week.  They have never hit again but she feels an obligation to support the lottery because it was so good to her!  Btw, she planned to spend it all.

• Like 1

Nope.  But Dh did enter a raffle recently.  First prize was something he really wants and is trying to save for.  Second prize is something that would be cool to have.  Anyway friend rings to say “hey have you checked the prize winners!  Your name is in there”.  Sure enough there it was.  3rd prize.  He won a pen! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, the head of the American Legion here won a significant amount. They bought a resort with it, and quit the PO job. They also gave a significant amount of money to the Legion, and worked the resort for many years. They're retired now, and in failing health. They put countless hours in the Legion. Their oldest ds Eagled from our troop, and then passed away. I'm waiting for news of L's death--it won't be long now. 

• Like 1

My oldest son has a friend who won around $4 million. He was a year or two out of college, and went back to get a Master's degree in mathematical finance. So he's probably doing okay. 

I also have an older relative who is much more financially comfortable than would be typical for someone in his line of work (teaching high school), because of the investments he made in the tech industry in the early 1980s. I would suspect good investments, a side business, or a large inheritance before a lottery win if someone I knew seemed to have more money than they seem to be making. 

• Like 1

I had a neighbor that won a million back when I was in my early 20's. It was back when a $300 million dollar jackpot was rare, and she rarely played, but we all did that week.  She lived across the hall in my apartment building and was a newly single mother- her ex dumped her and moved out after she had his baby.  Six months later she won the lottery.  She stayed in the same apartment and job, bought a new car, set up a trust to cover her son's day care and private school through grad school, and invested the rest. It couldn't have happened to a better person.

I know someone else who won $100k twice. I'm under the impression ALL this person's extra income goes to the lottery and alcohol, so despite sounding impressive they've actually spent several times more than that on tickets.

• Like 1