Menu

Word Processors

Petrichor

I've been using OneNote as my general word processor, but when I tried it for a freewrite, I didn't like it.

Two things in particular: I haven't figured out how to copy and paste more than one paragraph at a time. And it doesn't show a word count?! [if anyone has tips on how to fix either of those things, I would be happy as a clam. I'll also google it, lol.]

I know it was mentioned on the main board, but if anyone has any ideas for (preferably free) word processor options, please do share.

I do like how OneNote lets you have multiple sections/tabs without having to have each section saved as a separate document or having to go into a folder to open the pages, though. But the not allowing me to copy and paste multiple paragraphs might just be a deal breaker here, lol.

I use Googledocs. The "Keep" icon to the right opens up a place to put notes for things you want to refer to; you can also make comments along the text, but otherwise, it's pretty straightforward to write, cut/paste, etc. And it automatically saves. 

OneNote is good for note taking, I don't think I would like it at all for the actual, straightforward writing part of things.

Sometimes I just take notes in a paper notebook for easy reference while writing. Mostly, I try and keep it as simple as possible.

I’m still experimenting!  

Yesterday I used pen and paper  ?

I’ve tried google docs a bit but don’t like having to be online while writing  

I like Pages — so long as I don’t lose a bunch again.  It does help with word count .  

I got Scrivener for cellphone (not free and maybe not android?)  Have only figured out minor basic workings, which is to say, I can open a file and write in it—and I like it a lot so far  .  It also helps with word count.  It seems to be easy to use email with to back up material written so far and easy to open multiple sections with in a main project  Much easier so far to organize and find stuff than in Ppages  Maybe not as easy as Word when I used it long long ago in terms of search and replace type commands    

Do you use Mac or Windows? Scrivener has a free trial for Nano on Mac and the Windows Version 3 beta is free as well (download from the L&L forum). I use both and can save the project to Dropbox, then work on whichever machine I need to, or my Mac laptop. If you are on Windows, take a look at Atomic Scribbler. It's free and the chapter structure is very similar to Scrivener but without so many behind the scenes abilities as Scrivener has. Very easy to learn and get to the writing. I use OneNote for class notes but don't free write anything in it. Dabble (dabblewriter.com) also has Mac and Windows versions and a free Nano trial. It also uses the same chapter/scene breakdown that you can do in OneNote but comes with a plotting board and can be used either through the downloaded app or via the website and stays synced up between the two.