Menu

Are there comprehension q's in SOTW books?

IfIOnly

I know about the AG, but I could have swore there were questions in the book as well. Yet I'm not seeing any in the book I bought. 

I'm having DS read  chapter on his own and color maps and all as he goes through. I'm just asking him about what he read/to narrate to me after each chapter, which is working great. I'd love to ask a few specific q's as well without pulling out and juggling the AG.

Yep the questions are in the activity book arranged by chapter and help guide the narration which they give examples of what it should look like. In the back it also has maps of the areas discussed since you mentioned doing maps. It is worth using the activity book. I only use it for the questions, narration examples maps and coloring pages not the activities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

Oooo that would be nice if the questions were at the end of the chapter! That is really ideal. The AG is unwieldy, and pricey when you don't do the projects or coloring pages. I never want to pull it out, ever. Even if my kids did want to do the paper stuff, the flipping around in the book drives me nuts. 

It is under $25.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:55 PM, MistyMountain said:

Yep the questions are in the activity book arranged by chapter and help guide the narration which they give examples of what it should look like. In the back it also has maps of the areas discussed since you mentioned doing maps. It is worth using the activity book. I only use it for the questions, narration examples maps and coloring pages not the activities. 

DS is just coloring the maps and pics in textbook as he goes. LOL. Easy, peasy! I'll find the AG and look through it at least. I could make photo copies and put them all in a 3 prong folder to make it easier.

13 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

Oh, thanks for these! Going to compare these to the AG q's.

17 hours ago, OKBud said:

Oooo that would be nice if the questions were at the end of the chapter! That is really ideal. The AG is unwieldy, and pricey when you don't do the projects or coloring pages. I never want to pull it out, ever. Even if my kids did want to do the paper stuff, the flipping around in the book drives me nuts. 

Yep! ?

And I more so follow CM's narration suggestions. Too structured and narration sucks the joy out of something, I've found. Basically, what I do is: tell me all you know about ____!  I encourage them to think about the WH questions as they respond.

Edited by IfIOnly

I'm curious how he colors the maps? (We use the AG's directions, mostly, for the maps.)

I pulled the student pages out of the AG completely & spiral bound it. Then, I have little stickies every 5 chapters so I can find our place quickly. This is my third time (fourth?? I've lost track) through the SOTW books with my kids, so anything that is a lot of work doesn't get done.