Menu

Any good books on Dyslexia?

I'm wondering if my DD has Dyslexia. Do any of you know any good books that I can research this idea. Right now she is in the public school. I put her in last year thinking maybe they could help better than me with some of the things we were struggling with while homeschooling. She's still struggling and I'm considering bringing her back home next year. I don't want to self diagnose and don't want to diagnose something that's not there but there is still something that I can't put my finger on as to her learning. Dyslexia or even dyscalculia seems to check quite a few boxes of the struggles. Thanks so much. 

I see that you're in Ohio, so have you made a formal written request for evals to see if she needs an IEP? It will take the rest of the school year to go through the process, but at that point, assuming you get an IEP, you'll be eligible for the Jon Peterson scholarship which, depending on the disability they assign and the tier it falls under, will probably get you $15k a year to use to service the IEP when you pull her out of the ps. 

I've talked with several people who got enough documentation through particularly thorough reading tutors (SLPs who run the CTOPP, reading achievement testing, etc.) to push the process forward. Yes, it's possible your ps will botch it. So rather than reading and wondering, my two cents would be to go ahead and get evals privately, start the IEP process, and have the Jon Peterson in place so you can get her services when you bring her home. If you think something is going on, there probably is. 

Also, depending on where you live, people can throw you out some names of psychs to look at. A number of people here are in Ohio. :)

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I see that you're in Ohio, so have you made a formal written request for evals to see if she needs an IEP? It will take the rest of the school year to go through the process, but at that point, assuming you get an IEP, you'll be eligible for the Jon Peterson scholarship which, depending on the disability they assign and the tier it falls under, will probably get you $15k a year to use to service the IEP when you pull her out of the ps. 

I've talked with several people who got enough documentation through particularly thorough reading tutors (SLPs who run the CTOPP, reading achievement testing, etc.) to push the process forward. Yes, it's possible your ps will botch it. So rather than reading and wondering, my two cents would be to go ahead and get evals privately, start the IEP process, and have the Jon Peterson in place so you can get her services when you bring her home. If you think something is going on, there probably is. 

Also, depending on where you live, people can throw you out some names of psychs to look at. A number of people here are in Ohio. ?

Thank You so much!!! What are SLPs and CTOPP? I'm new to this whole thing so I don't know what those are haha.