Menu

Grammar for the Well Trained Mind

Hi everyone,

I need help. Is there a forum for those who have chosen to use SWB's Grammar for the Well Trained Mind? I hated grammar at school and I am really struggling to understand why sentences have been diagrammed in a certain way, etc. We have made is to week 13, but my inability to teach this is really hindering my son. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

There are some threads on here where I have asked for help, so I am just echoing desertflower's advice. 

Also please feel free to check the errata on their website. Last year was the first edition of this and, over the course of the year, many of us found and reported errors. 

You didn't ask this, but I will just offer our experience--the difficulty picks up quite a bit from week 19 or so on. It is not usual for us to now spend three days on one lesson.  We are in a "review" chapter and I swear it's going to take us 12 days to finish it. LOL.  Since the later books are just repetitions of the same concepts, I am not feeling guilty about it. We are taking the time we need to get it done and not forcing it into one "school year."  Like you, I had next to no formal grammar instruction in school--mostly editing practice with no explanation of different concepts like appositives or noun clauses, etc. I am guessing I got more grammar from learning Spanish than anything else, but much of this has been new for me also. 

Edited by cintinative

Agreed. I had excellent grammar instruction in school, but I still learned a lot more in the process of learning Latin. SWB's grammar curriculum is very thorough, which means even people like me have forgotten a lot of it over the years. I figure I'll get almost as much out of it as DS by the time we're done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...