Menu

We got to talk to navy boy tonight

lynn

He sounded good about his decision.  Already sounds more mature? Grownup?  I'm a bit freaked that they took his wisdom teeth out.  To much can go wrong with that.  If I had known  i would have had our family dentist so that over the summer.   

Half way through.  We have our reservations his graduation.

• Like 9

glad you spoke to him!  My son is at army bootcamp right now, haven't heard about his wisdom teeth yet, we are hoping they do it there. My oldest daughter is a marine, and had her wisdom teeth taken out during boot camp. 

They didn't take mine out in basic training, but I got them out a couple years later while I was still in the military. 

Of course, AF basic training was only six weeks long when I went through, so missing a day for anything like that was kind of a huge deal. Even if you got sick for a couple days you risked getting recycled back because everything was so tightly scheduled.

My husband got his out while he was at the Naval Academy. All impacted. They promised him they would knock him out but then they didn't.  He said it was one of the worst experiences of his life.... and yet still made the call to go skiing the next day with his buddy! Yeah, bad idea.  He developed dry sockets. 

1 hour ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Do you know why?   Just as a preventative for issues that might arise down the road?

We always joked that it was because the dental staff needed practice to gain experience!  Margaret is right that it makes you nondeployable regardless of whether the wisdom teeth have any issues. 

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

My husband got his out while he was at the Naval Academy. All impacted. They promised him they would knock him out but then they didn't.  He said it was one of the worst experiences of his life.... and yet still made the call to go skiing the next day with his buddy! Yeah, bad idea.  He developed dry sockets. 

My dh got his out as a 2nd LT.  It was done in the AF dental clinic but should have been sent to the nearby Naval Hospital clinic where they actually had experienced oral surgeons.  All 3 of his were impacted and what was supposed to be a 1 hour procedure was like 4 and he came out with blood on his clothes. It was his worse medical experience, so far.

THe bolded is also what happened with dh.

Edited by TravelingChris

20 hours ago, Annie G said:

They removed his teeth during boot camp? Yikes!

I remember seeing a few people subjected to this in boot camp. It was not a good time. They yanked 2 of mine a few months AFTER boot camp, while I was still at an NTC, and it wasn't near as unpleasant a recovery as the boot camp crowd got.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, klmama said:

Does the military always take out wisdom teeth if new recruits still have them?

Not necessarily. In my case, they didn't do it in boot because I was headed to a long "A" school so there was plenty of time. Then in "A" school, they determined that 2 of them were impacted so deeply that they'd likely never erupt, and because they'd never been a problem, they never would. So they only pulled 2 of the 4. Then they erupted in my mid-20's after I was out of the service, and I had one pulled because it was causing problems when DD was a baby, and the last one earlier this year. In retrospect, I should have hung around at out-processing and let them pull them then, but I did not anticipate the following 15 years of adult life with no dental insurance.

42 minutes ago, Ravin said:

I remember seeing a few people subjected to this in boot camp. It was not a good time. They yanked 2 of mine a few months AFTER boot camp, while I was still at an NTC, and it wasn't near as unpleasant a recovery as the boot camp crowd got.

It seems like boot camp is stressful enough without adding extracting teeth!  

dd, the Marine, was in a really hard company, so the day she got to lie in bed after her wisdom teeth were pulled was a vacation for her. She was yelled at during because her mouth was too small...she is 5'2 and about 100lbs.  Her fiance also had his out and he had to lie at attention in bed during the recovery...not as relaxing. 

20 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Do you know why?   Just as a preventative for issues that might arise down the road?

Same in the Army. Mine said that they were pretty aggressive about anything dental because they don't want anything like that coming up later. They did it near the end of processing so that they weren't doing heavy physical stuff. Thankfully he had his out when he was in early high school and went ahead with a scheduled cleaning and checkup just before he left. So they did the x-rays and did a quick peek, and moved him along. He said that those who got their wisdom teeth out were given a pass on PT for a few days and allowed to get special food when they ate.

His graduation was such a highlight for me. Family Day was a blast. I got to meet his friends, the drill sergeants, and we toured around the base, seeing some of the places where he trained. Then we did some local sightseeing and had dinner at a local restaurant with some of his friends and their families.

• Like 1

Nice that people don't have to pay for this themselves when they have it done in the military. My teens have had to have their wisdom teeth out at ages 15 and 16, which was before they caused any issues. It's pricey, but they get nice treatment and pain meds during and after. Luckily our dental insurance covers most of the costs or I'd want to send them to the military to do the procedure, too! ?

• Haha 1