Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Æthelthryth the Texan

Chris in VA- How's the move going?!?

Oh, you are so sweet to ask! 

We have been here at St. George's for almost a week--feels much longer. Our parish feted us on a Saturday (so kind--a big party!), my dh's last day was Sunday, and then Monday (Oct. ? we moved to our home about 2 hours SE. We had about 120 boxes of books! lol You never know what you have, I guess, til you try to pack it. 

We settled in that week, got hit by Hurricane Michael, which was still a tropical storm when it hit us, and lost power. We thought we'd have to leave dirty dishes and unflushed toilets because we lose water when the power goes out, and we wouldn't be back until our break in August! Yuck! But, thankfully, power came back on, we could clean up, and pack and leave without a problem. 

We flew out Monday 15, and got here late Tues 16. Whew! It has been amazing. 

Our apartment is on the second floor of a k-12 school across the street from the Cathedral close. It is quite large--and everything in it is quite large, too! I feel like I'm in the land of giants lol. The ceilings are at least 20 ft tall! Heavy furniture, kitchen cabs I can only reach the first shelf of...And the walls of the apt are a bright coral. A very.bright.coral. Very ....cheery! hahahha Our bedroom is bright red with a black chandelier on a long, long chain. I told dh it reminds me of the Pit and the Pendulum, and if we waken to see the chandelier swaying back and forth, we'd better roll out of bed quickly, just in case! But really, it is an amazing place and we are blessed to be here. 

I wake up to the sounds of the elementary kids playing in the tennis court/outdoor area below our windows. I have a fabulous view of the cathedral and buildings around us, and we discovered a door to the roof on our level, so we can go outside and see a good portion of the city. We are a 10 minute walk from the Damascus Gate (Old City) and really about a 20 minute walk to the Holy Sepulchre . 

I will get to do some traveling--In November, I will go to Jordan with my husband and several others for a large church meeting. In December, my husband and I will accompany the Archbishop (for whom my husband works) and his wife to Lebanon for 5 days. Dh will go several places--perhaps even Iran and Syria. 

I've been reassured to meet several wonderful women, and have gone for coffee a couple of times. One is helping at the cathedral and took the Dean's wife and me to learn how the little tram/train which goes a few miles through West Jerusalem, works. We had the chaplain to the college (St. George's, a "pilgrim" college) and his wife over last night to watch the Eagles game on satellite. 

I've had to wear much more conservative clothes--so I brought lots of long skirts and elbow-length or longer sleeved-tops. And I have WALKED! A lot. But we do have a car, I'm just not quite willing to drive yet. 

Haven't really been to anything religious or any sites, just getting the lay of the land as someone who actually needs to function in everyday life. 

Thanks for asking! (If I knew how, I'd show you a video or two...perhaps I can try.) Ask any questions you want and I will be happy to share my experiences!!

• Like 27

I’m so glad somebody asked because I’ve been thinking about you, too. It sounds amazing so far, I’d settle for a rooftop photo ;), and I really hope that you enjoy your time there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

Are the more conservative clothes a congregation specific thing or a country-specific thing? 

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

Are the more conservative clothes a congregation specific thing or a country-specific thing? 

Sorry for the double above--I am on my laptop, which I'm not used to yet, and I'm not sure how I did that! lol

Country, or rather, location, specific. I am in the eastern part of Jerusalem that used to be Jordan, just yards over the Green Line. So this is the more Arab part, and it is more conservative. No shorts, or sleeveless tops, or even cap sleeves. Not bad now, when it's a high of 75-80 and lows in the 60's before noon, but when things heat up, say, in April/May...a little more challenging. I brought long skirts and just-below-the-elbow-sleeved shirts, and some Ts I can wear with cardigans (I don't look good in scarves but many tourists wear them to cover their shoulders/arms a bit, esp when going to holy sites). Now in western Jtown, you see all kinds of stuff, particularly on the young people. And Tel Aviv is really liberal (but Jtown is 45-60 minutes from there, a world away). I will say, though, that no one goes sleeveless in church, not even Lutherans and Presbys. ?

• Like 2

I don't know if this will work, but here's my silly video of our rooftop

Edited to add--I fixed the link a few posts down. 

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I keep getting a 404 Not Found error. ?

oh sorry, maybe I have to enable some permissions or something. I'll try again tomorrow. I think I can copy it to youtube and then link it. But for now it's bedtime around here! (7 hours ahead of the East Coast USA time)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Yes- it worked! And you are right-  It is so cool and so neat! I am so happy for you guys and hope you have the experience of a lifetime. (((Hugs))) for your new adventure! 

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the video! I'm enjoying hearing about your experiences and traveling vicariously. Please keep telling us more as you have time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I keep getting a 404 Not Found error. ?

Same here. Maybe you can post a picture. But we don't want to stress you out since you are still settling in. Next week though, the pressure is on....?

Never mind. Was able to see the video. Awesome. Thank you!

Edited by Liz CA

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I loved the video, thank you!

How come you were able to watch it and we can't?? Did you perform some fancy software acrobatics?

What a view from that rooftop! Neat.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be coming with three of my kids in early December (Hanukah), so if you want to meet, I'd love to!  Also if you need something small I might be able to help you out...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'll be coming with three of my kids in early December (Hanukah), so if you want to meet, I'd love to!  Also if you need something small I might be able to help you out...

I am jealous!! I hope you have a great trip too! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I am jealous!! I hope you have a great trip too! 

You have to tolerate a husband who will be away more weeks than not until January.  Still jealous?  ;)

Edited by YaelAldrich

Just now, YaelAldrich said:

You have to tolerate a husband who will be away more weeks than not until January.  Still jealous?  ?

A little because that happens sometimes here too and I still never get to go anywhere! But I should bite my tongue because he's been home for a bit.

I think it's awesome you get to go though. Please take and post some pictures if you get a chance. That's my #1 destination dream outside of the U.S. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 6:11 AM, Chris in VA said:

Oh, you are so sweet to ask! 

We have been here at St. George's for almost a week--feels much longer. Our parish feted us on a Saturday (so kind--a big party!), my dh's last day was Sunday, and then Monday (Oct. ? we moved to our home about 2 hours SE. We had about 120 boxes of books! lol You never know what you have, I guess, til you try to pack it. 

We settled in that week, got hit by Hurricane Michael, which was still a tropical storm when it hit us, and lost power. We thought we'd have to leave dirty dishes and unflushed toilets because we lose water when the power goes out, and we wouldn't be back until our break in August! Yuck! But, thankfully, power came back on, we could clean up, and pack and leave without a problem. 

We flew out Monday 15, and got here late Tues 16. Whew! It has been amazing. 

Our apartment is on the second floor of a k-12 school across the street from the Cathedral close. It is quite large--and everything in it is quite large, too! I feel like I'm in the land of giants lol. The ceilings are at least 20 ft tall! Heavy furniture, kitchen cabs I can only reach the first shelf of...And the walls of the apt are a bright coral. A very.bright.coral. Very ....cheery! hahahha Our bedroom is bright red with a black chandelier on a long, long chain. I told dh it reminds me of the Pit and the Pendulum, and if we waken to see the chandelier swaying back and forth, we'd better roll out of bed quickly, just in case! But really, it is an amazing place and we are blessed to be here. 

I wake up to the sounds of the elementary kids playing in the tennis court/outdoor area below our windows. I have a fabulous view of the cathedral and buildings around us, and we discovered a door to the roof on our level, so we can go outside and see a good portion of the city. We are a 10 minute walk from the Damascus Gate (Old City) and really about a 20 minute walk to the Holy Sepulchre . 

I will get to do some traveling--In November, I will go to Jordan with my husband and several others for a large church meeting. In December, my husband and I will accompany the Archbishop (for whom my husband works) and his wife to Lebanon for 5 days. Dh will go several places--perhaps even Iran and Syria. 

I've been reassured to meet several wonderful women, and have gone for coffee a couple of times. One is helping at the cathedral and took the Dean's wife and me to learn how the little tram/train which goes a few miles through West Jerusalem, works. We had the chaplain to the college (St. George's, a "pilgrim" college) and his wife over last night to watch the Eagles game on satellite. 

I've had to wear much more conservative clothes--so I brought lots of long skirts and elbow-length or longer sleeved-tops. And I have WALKED! A lot. But we do have a car, I'm just not quite willing to drive yet. 

Haven't really been to anything religious or any sites, just getting the lay of the land as someone who actually needs to function in everyday life. 

Thanks for asking! (If I knew how, I'd show you a video or two...perhaps I can try.) Ask any questions you want and I will be happy to share my experiences!!

This new site makes it really easy to upload videos and photos from your phone right on your post. It’s one of my favorite features! Now post some beautiful sites and let us live vicariously!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

@Chris in VA

A friend just shared a post on Facebook from an Episcopal page and I think it might be your dh's installation!

If you were wearing a pretty blue dress then I saw a fabulous picture of you and your dh!  Small world!

Blessings on your new post!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, happi duck said:

@Chris in VA

A friend just shared a post on Facebook from an Episcopal page and I think it might be your dh's installation!

If you were wearing a pretty blue dress then I saw a fabulous picture of you and your dh!  Small world!

Blessings on your new post!

Yep, that was us! It's hard to believe that was last week! Dh has his first full service with sermon tomorrow at 11:15. There are  3 services Sun. mornings, and the middle one is in Arabic for the Palestinian congregation. Dh will be preaching at the English service. 

Today we went to Ramla for a big gathering of women from the Anglican parishes in this region. This really only started 10 years ago. It was all in Arabic, so I was totally lost, and then we sat somewhere to eat that wasn't really for us, so I was really embarrassed, but hey, all part of it LOL! After lunch the group went to the Greek Orthodox church of St. George, Lod. It was spectacular. St. George was a pretty cool dude. Ramla is traditionally also the home of Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus. It is really the first place we've been since moving here. Kinda like living near DC and just not going to the Mall very often--living here is different than making a pilgrimage here.

• Like 6