Menu

B&M disaster, now need help with home schooling setup

HomeForNow

Short version: scroll to 2nd post.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Due to terrible public schools here, we had been home schooling our 3 kids (son DSgr7, daughters DDgr4 and DDgr2 (numbers=grades)). This Fall we put our daughters in a new public charter (which is going great, and they'll stay), and we put our son in a gifted program contained in a regular (=bad) school, which was a disaster, and he now is back home.

Our earlier home schooling attempts were somewhat unschooly (apart from AoPS courses for the oldest), reading from books and online, videos from online and TV, we muddled through, and the girls have transitioned successfully to B&M school, and our son could have transitioned in a less chaotic school.

Now with one back home, we want to get more serious and structured and prepare for re-entering B&M school in early-mid high school (grade 9 or 10 or 11, so certainly home schooling the rest of grades 7 and 8), to then get ready for a good STEM college (ideally CalTech or MIT, so definitely not going early). We need help getting set up properly. We are both Math PhDs and DW is a SAHM, but want DSgr7 (grade 7) to be as self-sufficient as possible, so we can answer questions and keep him organized and motivated and on track, but we want suggestions for good curricular materials from which he can learn directly.

I'll list the subjects, best subjects first. Apart from AoPS courses, we want materials that are flexible and self-paced, that can be done at home at arbitrary times. As far as costs, the AoPS courses seem costly but we're okay with it, but still want decent value for other courses/materials.

Math: DSgr7 (grade 7) has finished AoPS PreCalculus. We plan for him to do Discrete Math (Interm C&P and NT) during the rest of grade 7. He'll also do AMC and MathCounts. He'll do AoPS Calculus (or another AP Calculus BC course) in grade 8, and maybe take the AP test. We just discovered edX.org and saw Calculus courses like this sequence https://www.edx.org/course/calculus-1a-differentiation https://www.edx.org/course/calculus-1b-integration https://www.edx.org/course/calculus-1c-coordinate-systems-infinite-mitx-18-01-3x-0

Anyone use edX.org for their courses? Are they comprehensive and self-contained? It seems they start at AP level. Are there other AP level course providers we should be looking at?

Science: I also posted here https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/677493-“regular”-sciences-needed-before-ap/?tab=comments#comment-8221752 DSgr7 has finished AoPS PreCalculus but has not done a specific structured science course before. Would it make sense to do AP Physics 1 without prior physics experience? This link suggests so https://blog.prepscholar.com/whats-the-difference-between-ap-physics-1-2-and-c
Any suggestions for an AP Physics 1 course, preferably self-paced? We found this edX.org course https://www.edx.org/course/ap-physics-1-ricex-advphy1x
There's no "verified certificate" available, but at least it appears to be a full course, and taking the actual AP test would be an option. We just want to be less "unschooly" and do a full year "proper" science course (albeit without labs). Any thoughts for how to proceed with Science in following years.

Computer Science: He has played with Scratch, but otherwise doesn't know any coding. Any suggestions for resources for a very mathy kid to learn coding properly?

English/Language Arts: This is much less a strength for DSgr7 (and parents). We really need some kind of curriculum in a box (or online equivalent) that contains all aspects of ELA, is on grade level (grade 7), and is suitable for a kid who is intelligent, but not a "talent" in English like he is in Math. Any suggestions for something suitable? He does have trouble writing, both physically and creatively (is very slow). The writing is okay, but it takes forever. He does need to improve writing speed/stamina/efficiency to cope with B&M school/college output expectations. Any thoughts on how to work on this?

Social Studies: I thought we could stay unschooly on this. Apart from reading to gain general knowledge, it seems to me that it mostly needs ELA skills of reading and comprehending, then writing and reasoning about it. But I really don't know. Does this seem okay?

Foreign Language (e.g. French): DSgr7 is really a beginner, just started. He doesn't need to get to any particular level at any particular time, as he can enter B&M school at any level in Foreign Language (even beginner), so we just want suggestions on good home schooling resources for self-paced learning of a Foreign Language (e.g. French).

We are very grateful for any suggestion?

Short version: Pulled from public schools, starting home school late (mid-October). Grade 7, very mathy kid, has finished AoPS PreCalculus. Want suggestions for home schooling materials.

Science: Is it appropriate to do an AP Physics 1 course, with no prior physics course? Any suggestions for a course?

English/Language Arts: We'd like a comprehensive Grade 7 ELA home schooling package (online/printed/combination), suitable for smart (but mathy, not ELA-y), kid, with main weakness being writing. Want kid to be able to work mostly independently, self-paced. Do not want busywork. Any suggestions for an ELA package?

On 10/20/2018 at 11:18 AM, HomeForNow said:

Short version: scroll to 2nd post.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Science:

Computer Science: He has played with Scratch, but otherwise doesn't know any coding. Any suggestions for resources for a very mathy kid to learn coding properly?

English/Language Arts:

Foreign Language

This is what we did:

CS:  I used Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson, the first half of the book through OOP.  Then switch to AoPS Intro and Intermediate Python programming.  You can probably skip the book and go straight to AoPS, but it's fast-paced, and I was starting my kids programming in elementary so I wanted something that was slower and more self-paced.  After that, in 8th grade I had them take the AP CSA course from Edhesive and then the AP exams.  AP CSA is among the easier AP exams available, so it's a great start if your ds is a good test taker and plans to take more AP exams.  My dd's got 5's, it demystified the exams, and my older one has gone on to take a half dozen more AP exams.  

Science:  AP Physics 1 sounds good, but it wasn't around when my kids were younger.  In middle school, we used BFSU.  It's a solid science curriculum, relentlessly big picture, and just plain excellent.  Disadvantages is it's a lot of work, especially sourcing materials and books.  You can find a lot of old threads about this curriculum, and a facebook group.  After that by 9th grade my dd was taking AP chemistry and was well-prepared.  Since then she's taken AP bio (10th grade), AP physics C (E&M and mech in 11th grade) and got 5's all around, so we're pleased with BFSU.  

FL:  Language Bird.  It's online by skype, self paced and flexible.  They were willing to work with my dd specifically to prep her for the SAT subject test.  They provided a nice transcript and course descriptions I could use for college app's.  

English:  We used MCT for grammar and vocab and outsourced writing to Chase Hill School for online tutoring, since I'm more of a math/science gal.  

Welcome to the WTM boards and good luck.  Please ask follow up q's on this or new threads.  

We've enjoyed MCT language arts.  One thing that we've started doing in middle school is to adapt the writing assignments to be about history.  This gives my kid a practical use of the writing techniques.  For instance, last week we learned about end effect in writing, so he wrote a short paper comparing ancient Japanese and Chinese social structures, paying special attention to paragraph endings.  We've also used the Critical Thinking Company History Detective workbook.  Some use it as a full curriculum, but we've used it 1-2 times/week to reinforce some reading skills and also to cover history. 

Thanks all!

In the thread https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/677493-“regular”-sciences-needed-before-ap/ I saw a suggestion for an online science program called Uzinggo which people seem to think is good. So we might try that, as well as some edX courses.

DSgr7 has done several AoPS courses, so that would be a natural choice for programming (Python). They are pricey, but I expect they'd be good. People can teach themselves programming, but I'd worry they could develop bad habits that way. I haven't programmed since the 1980s so it's probably best to outsource to someone more with the times.

We'd looked at MCT for ELA, but couldn't see how to get it to work. We really need some kind of "open and go" package for ELA (preferably at least partially online. That's one thing we haven't figured out yet. Should I post on another board about ELA specifically, since that part is not "accelerated"?

10 hours ago, HomeForNow said:

Thanks all!

In the thread https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/677493-“regular”-sciences-needed-before-ap/ I saw a suggestion for an online science program called Uzinggo which people seem to think is good. So we might try that, as well as some edX courses.

DSgr7 has done several AoPS courses, so that would be a natural choice for programming (Python). They are pricey, but I expect they'd be good. People can teach themselves programming, but I'd worry they could develop bad habits that way. I haven't programmed since the 1980s so it's probably best to outsource to someone more with the times.

We'd looked at MCT for ELA, but couldn't see how to get it to work. We really need some kind of "open and go" package for ELA (preferably at least partially online. That's one thing we haven't figured out yet. Should I post on another board about ELA specifically, since that part is not "accelerated"?

We use WWS for Language Arts (though we tweak it and take more time on many of the assignments).  It works for open and go, it's not LOVED necessarily, but in small doses it works for us.  I also signed them up for an 8 week literary analysis class through Athena's (I don't see it listed for spring right now) that really helped their writing. We have Twisting Arms on the shelf, and it looks good -- I just don't have the time right now.  We read lots of books and discuss, we have worked through Figuratively Speaking (I hear there is a list of short stories correlated with each literary element, which might be helpful).  

My son is STEM focused and likes the predictability of WWS even if he doesn't always love the assignments.  Some of the more creative writing focused programs would inspire panic in him. 

My son also LOVES Mct grammar.  We don't use it for writing, and the whole package is definitely not open and go, but we buy the grammar book and the practice grammar book and he loves it. He also enjoyed diagramming but I think he enjoys the four level analysis style more. 

• Like 1

I found a 1-Year subscription to Uzinggo Science for $56.97 here
https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/uzinggo

While I was at that site I saw another offer for Redbird(EPGY?) Language Arts & Writing up to grade 7 (also includes Math which we don't need)
https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/redbird/
for $99 per year. Is anyone familiar with this Redbird(EPGY?) Language Arts & Writing? What parts of ELA does it cover? Is it any good?

I see some other options here on that site https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-curriculum-language-arts-writing/

If I search generally on the web I find lists of dozens of ELA options, and then I don't know where to start.

Here's my thoughts.  We've been homeschooling about 10 years.  I have gifted kids, but I was told mine are gifted in creativity/fine arts.  One was never tested, but seems to be incredible with writing/language/literature.  They are actually very lazy, so our homeschool probably won't look like yours.  If I told them they were going to CalTech or MIT, they would probably lock themselves in their rooms and cry (and text their friends about it and then write a short story or poem about their plight).

Are you sure you'll be able to get them back in high school halfway through (I read your original post)?  Where we live, once you start homeschooling 9th grade, you're done.  You can't dive back into high school.  They won't take your homeschool credits.  You end up basically starting over.

Are you interested in following The Well-trained Mind?  The high school plan especially is very rigorous.  I wouldn't make literature/history/logic/rhetoric an afterthought in lieu of math and science.  (And I have two science-oriented kids, so I get it - Lol)

$99 a year for language arts is insanely expensive.  By about 7th-8th grade, we really drop the idea of language arts and focus on literature and writing.  High school also...literature + writing.  I mean, unless the kids are just really struggling with grammar and spelling...   

Writing - for left-brained kids...Writing with Skill series (like already mentioned) is very good.  

Good luck with your search!  You might get more answers on the curriculum board.  I know it's scary to post on there when you have a kid who is accelerated. 

Thanks all. The "re-entering B&M school in early-mid high school" really comes from there being a specific selective public high school that doesn't cover all 4 grades. Good point about checking that we can get credit. We did verify that AoPS courses could count towards credit IF a proficiency test is taken, but only would count as pass/fail and not be included in the GPA.

I am looking into the various ELA suggestions, and I agree that it's really about literature and writing.

I found some links for MIT courses online, which I'll post.
https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
https://www.edx.org/school/mitx
https://math.mit.edu/academics/online/index.php
using edX and its precursor OCW. These could be good for the future, after AoPS.

• Like 1