Menu

Troubles, Trials, Tribulations— stuck? Lost? Post woes here

Pen

My morning woe is that I had somehow amazingly generated about 4000 words of stuff related to my novel since starting (including wandering about on place name possibilities, character sketches etc) And this morning with a bare touch of my finger on my touch screen, I lost it all, except a small amount I had emailed to myself as a back up after my first prepping day. 

I posted on Chat for ideas how to not have this happen again.  But it gave me the idea to start a problems thread. 

I saw your post on the Chat board and immediately came here to see if you posted about it. ?

I don't know if I have any good suggestions. I try to use Scrivener on a Windows laptop but am still not at ease with it (I wish it was as good on Windows as on Mac). I tend to default to OneNote because it's what I know. When I'm out and want to write down ideas I also use OneNote and have it set to automatically save to the cloud.

That said, I don't know the nuts and bolts of Scrivener and what would happen if I lost my hard drive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I saw your post on the Chat board and immediately came here to see if you posted about it. ?

I don't know if I have any good suggestions. I try to use Scrivener on a Windows laptop but am still not at ease with it (I wish it was as good on Windows as on Mac). I tend to default to OneNote because it's what I know. When I'm out and want to write down ideas I also use OneNote and have it set to automatically save to the cloud.

That said, I don't know the nuts and bolts of Scrivener and what would happen if I lost my hard drive. 

I’m trying to see this as a good learning experience. 

I may call Apple to see if they can offer ideas, since I am still under the support time for the iPhone. 

I am finding the cell phone is working better for me to write draft on because it so easily goes anywhere.  

But how to not accidentally delete everything is clearly important!

They do have Scrivener for iPhone. No free trial or NaNoWriMo special offer, but it may be worth my getting that. Though TBH I don’t know how it saves either. 

For you, on Windows, it seems like backing up on an external flash drive or hard drive could be helpful in addition to Cloud.  Have you ever lost material from OneNote and had to retrieve it?

A little while ago I started a Page for just today’s writing which makes word count tracking easier and there would be less to lose all at once. At least if loss is due to my own error rather than a hardware glitch or crash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

They do have Scrivener for iPhone. No free trial or NaNoWriMo special offer, but it may be worth my getting that. Though TBH I don’t know how it saves either. 

For you, on Windows, it seems like backing up on an external flash drive or hard drive could be helpful in addition to Cloud.  Have you ever lost material from OneNote and had to retrieve it?

Actually I realized Android is where I wish I could get Scrivener so I could use it on my phone. They have a version for both Mac and iOS but if you don't use Apple products then Windows is your only choice. So, I can use it on my computer but not my phone. For years people have been begging for an Android version but there's been no movement on that front. 

I have a personal subscription to Office 365 which allows me to use it across all devices, and includes OneNote. You have the option of saving work to your device or to the cloud. I almost always choose the cloud. (Dh doesn't need it because he has a work version. Ds 21 doesn't need it because he gets the student version from college.)

Hopefully Apple can give you some good ideas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure what thread this belongs in but this one seemed right.

What happens when you've been planning a novel for months and  you start writing it the first two days of Nanowrimo but a new book idea suddenly appears in your head screaming "Write me instead!" ? It's really irritating but a new idea keeps trying to come front and center. It's only an idea, a seed really. The one I announced is one I've been outlining and planning all along, and have written two days' worth. 

This is probably just a vent and not a real question but if you've experienced this I wouldn't turn away any suggestions. 

12 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

What happens when you've been planning a novel for months and  you start writing it the first two days of Nanowrimo but a new book idea suddenly appears in your head screaming "Write me instead!" ? It's really irritating but a new idea keeps trying to come front and center. It's only an idea, a seed really. The one I announced is one I've been outlining and planning all along, and have written two days' worth. 

This is probably just a vent and not a real question but if you've experienced this I wouldn't turn away any suggestions. 

I'm going through the same thing.  I've had a hard time feeling inspired to write what I have planned.  In the last three days, my MC has shown me several different things.  First she was seventeen instead of an adult.  Yesterday I discovered she is a totally new character and the storyline is completely different.  I feel inspired though!  So, I am going to follow the new storyline and see where it takes me.  

I say follow the story that is screaming to get out of your head.  If nothing else, put it all down on paper and include it in your word count.  You can always come back to it at a later date.  Or work on both stories during November.

Good luck!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I think you at least should write down your seed idea to not lose it. 

If you have not done NaNoWriMo before or not written that much in a month before, I would let any work toward either idea count on your word count, but maybe separate them in your own files for ease of later drafts.  This is what I would do  — and Because also for all I know it is part of the same story and a subplot or something  that Illfigure out later as a plantser. And I have never done a NaNoWriMo before  

If you are good at getting 50k words already, but tend to stray off of your story and never finish anything before a new and better idea grabs you then I might tend to choose one now and stick with it for the rest of the month. 

3 hours ago, Pen said:

If you have not done NaNoWriMo before or not written that much in a month before, I would let any work toward either idea count on your word count, but maybe separate them in your own files for ease of later drafts.  This is what I would do  — and Because also for all I know it is part of the same story and a subplot or something  that Illfigure out later as a plantser. And I have never done a NaNoWriMo before  

I've never done Nanowrimo before and wasn't sure if it has to be all one story. Of course I know it's the honor system but still, I want to play by the rules. I wonder if it's too late to change and declare myself a rebel. ? 

I did write the idea down because I really like it and want to expand on it at some point even if I don't do it this month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've never done Nanowrimo before and wasn't sure if it has to be all one story. Of course I know it's the honor system but still, I want to play by the rules. I wonder if it's too late to change and declare myself a rebel. ? 

I did write the idea down because I really like it and want to expand on it at some point even if I don't do it this month.

Some people do a compilation of short stories for NaNo.  

• Like 2