Menu

Lost my NaNoWriMo start ?! Help: Best way to back up writing on iPhone?

Pen

Ack! Aargh!

I was planning and starting writing on my iPhone using Pages. Character sketches, ideas, etc.   I had backed up by emailing a copy to myself a couple of days ago, but then got a lot more done since then.  This morning I accidentally deleted everything; only what I had emailed to myself was recoverable. I am bummed, but not so much as if this happened later on!  

I probably recall most of the good parts I did and can redo at this point — only losing a bunch of my early word count .  

What, assuming I continue with writing on iPhone a lot of the time because it is with me in all the snatchable time moments of the day, would be a way to avoid this happening again?

I prefer being able to write in airplane mode, rather than when online.  And, some places I am still are in cellular dead zones.   However if the only good preventive would be to use something that automatically saves to Cloud for me (Dropbox? Google Docs?) (How does Scrivener save?) I’d consider using that whenever I can. 

9 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I don't know how to back up an iPhone.  Hope someone can help!

Don't worry about "early word count".  The spirit of NaNoWriMo is to *start* writing on November 1.  

Thanks!  I was working toward a 5 day word tracker of 3000 words and was coming along well on it — all lost now.

I am following along with some of the early prep emails NaNoWriMo has been sending since I signed up.  I guess learning now about my writing loss was a very important use of these preps!  Here are example quotes / from what NaNoWriMo  emailed: 

Writing Prep of the Day

Prep Goal: 600 words or 60 minutes of writing time.

Did you make 600 words/60 minutes yesterday? Let's try for it again today! If you're having trouble with these daily prep goals, don't worry. They're suggested goals to help build up your endurance for November... but if you're writing daily—no matter how long—that's a win.

Writing Prep of the Day

Prep Goal: 1000 words or 90 minutes of writing time.

We're making a big jump, but think of this as a weekend goal. Try one long writing session on Sunday morning, or try three 30-minute writing sessions throughout the day on Saturday. See what works for you, and what kind of rhythms you can foster as November approaches!

(Want to set your own prep goal for October? Create a goal tracker!)

• Like 1

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-recover-deleted-icloud-data/

I’m fairly certain it defaults in Pages to storing the files on the cloud. If so, the above link should help.

Otherwise, open the files app and navigate to browse. Under locations you should see “recently deleted files.” It should all be there.

Edited by mamaraby
More info
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

Thanks!  I was working toward a 5 day word tracker of 3000 words and was coming along well on it — all lost now.

I am following along with some of the early prep emails NaNoWriMo has been sending since I signed up.  I guess learning now about my writing loss was a very important use of these preps!  Here are example quotes / from what NaNoWriMo  emailed: 

Writing Prep of the Day

Prep Goal: 600 words or 60 minutes of writing time.

Did you make 600 words/60 minutes yesterday? Let's try for it again today! If you're having trouble with these daily prep goals, don't worry. They're suggested goals to help build up your endurance for November... but if you're writing daily—no matter how long—that's a win.

Writing Prep of the Day

Prep Goal: 1000 words or 90 minutes of writing time.

We're making a big jump, but think of this as a weekend goal. Try one long writing session on Sunday morning, or try three 30-minute writing sessions throughout the day on Saturday. See what works for you, and what kind of rhythms you can foster as November approaches!

(Want to set your own prep goal for October? Create a goal tracker!)

Ah!  Now I understand!  Sorry I misunderstood!

35 minutes ago, mamaraby said:

I’m fairly certain it defaults in Pages to storing the files on the cloud. If so, the above link should help.

Otherwise, open the files app and navigate to browse. Under locations you should see “recently deleted files.” It should all be there.

Thanks!  I [embarrassment emoji] may not have set up an iCloud account. (Due to Feeling like I didn’t want personal information in the Cloud). I guess I need to rethink that!?!

I reconciled myself to loss of what I did so far, but if I can retrieve it that would be excellent!  And also if I don’t need new apps or devices  in order to have things backed up that would be excellent too. 

1 hour ago, mamaraby said:

26 minutes ago, Pen said:

Thanks!  I [embarrassment emoji] may not have set up an iCloud account. (Due to Feeling like I didn’t want personal information in the Cloud). I guess I need to rethink that!?!

I reconciled myself to loss of what I did so far, but if I can retrieve it that would be excellent!  And also if I don’t need new apps or devices  in order to have things backed up that would be excellent too. 

Seems I do have iCloud set up, and do have my IPhone Pages storing there by default. But at least so far don’t see how it is possible to retrieve prior deleted writing. 

I have no idea how you can recover your missing text, but I send my sympathies.  Seems like something I would do. ?  But hurray for it being early days....  I am trying out the extended Scrivener trial offer--I use it on a laptop, but it seems to save everything automatically.  Maybe it works on a phone?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh, bummer!

i don’t know if this will work with pages - I’ve not used that - but when I finish a chunk of work, I send a copy to my gmail account (attach file or simply cut n paste). That way it’s stored in a server not on my device, accessible from any device (mine, library, a friend’s) via my gmail account. It also serves as sort of a poor man’s copyright since it's time and date stamped. 

That’s what I did with the first part that was recoverable, and what I did again today. I didn’t think of the date stamp aspect. That’s a point.

It seems like a lot of file sending, but maybe it isn’t a bad way to carry on and if it becomes routine I probably will remember to do it regularly.   

my son uses google docs for school.. We had internet issues right when he was finishing up a project.  We were able to go to Wendy's, download the presentation for offline use and then bring it home, to "upload" later on.  He can toggle online/offline use. When online it saves online. When offline he doesn't need Internet to work on it.