Menu

My baby turns 18 today

Susan Wise Bauer

I no longer have minor children. :0

I don't know how many of you were around 18 years ago, when I was hanging out on the old boards begging for tips to get labor started, but at least one of the tips actually helped. (That was the primrose oil one, in case you're wondering, and I really wish I could remember who suggested it.)  That's such a fond memory for me.

Thanks for still being here, Hive. Happy birthday, Emily.

swb

Happy birthday, Emily!

I'm in the same phase of life. Our youngest turned 18 and is in college. All three boys are in college - senior year for the eldest - and our daughter is 27, married, and we have a three year old grandson. DH and I have wandered around the house numerous times this fall muttering, "It sure is quiet here!" 

There are two things I like about it. It really is quiet if I have the time and inclination to take a nap. And, I have to cook so very little. I can put one chicken breast in the oven, make a salad for the two of us to share, and we can eat on that for lunch and supper. I really like the "not cooking for a horde of starving boys" thing. 

• Like 2

Happy Birthday, Emily!

I remember seeing a picture of baby Emily titled something like: Come on, you know you want to see pictures. I don't think this was on the forum - I had not found the forum yet, but this was on the website. Those 18 years went by in a flash...

• Like 1

Wishing Emily a very happy 18th birthday !!! 

It's amazing to think that I've been here on the board for longer than 18 years.  Thank you, Susan, for your generosity in providing this site; it's been a big part of my life and is much appreciated.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

Awww, this is such a happy day!  

Emily, wishing you the happiest of birthdays!  And congrats, Susan!

I joined sometime before Emily's arrival, in 1998 or 1999.  I remember our joy when you told us all you had a girl, although I can't remember if it was before or after her birth.  :-) 

We were all so overjoyed for you to have a daughter as well as sons!

Wishing you all the best!

P.S. If it isn't impolite to ask, what is Emily up to these days?

• Like 4

Wow - congrats Mom! You did it! They are all officially adults!

Happy Birthday to Emily!

That must be such a weird and amazing feeling. I'm still adjusting to having a teen! It seems like you just get used to your identity as a parent of toddlers, elementary kids, etc. and then it all changes. I can't even imagine being a parent of young adults!