Menu

7th grader dislikes science curriculum...switch or stay with it?

My 7th grader is doing Bite Size Physics this year.  She doesn't like it at all.  Last year she did Ellen McHenry's two chemistry units and loved them, and I thought she would like this too, but she doesn't.  Her disliking it means that every time it's scheduled she dawdles and puts it off as long as she possibly can, avoids doing the related writing (answering the questions and doing a short lab report on whatever experiment she does), etc.  I really don't want to spend the entire school year dragging her through this while she does her best to avoid doing it.  But on the other hand, I don't want to her to think that if she really dislikes a subject we'll just switch to a different curriculum.  Not sure what to do here.

I'm of two minds here.

1. I don't think it is a particularly bad thing to switch, but it depends on what she doesn't like about it.  If my kid didn't like a part of a subject but I thought it was teaching a vital skill, it might change my perception some.  I'd be willing to do what I can to help get them through those parts each day.

BUT
2. I think it goes back to a difference in homeschooling philosophy.  I am fine with my children taking ownership and choosing their own materials as long as it is something that fits basic guidelines I have for a subject.  I think it's important for kids to understand what their role in education is, and I don't like to encourage passivity.

I'm not opposed to switching things that are not working.  Is this the only thing that she doesn't like?  My DS is doing Exploration Education this year, it's a physical science course.  He really loves it and it's pretty affordable considering that it comes with everything.  Can you sell the one you have?