Menu

Forget Instant Pot - Here is a new kid on the block

Liz CA

I watched that same video, as well as another one where the person made Thai curry, and it seems really impractical to me. Both dishes took well over an hour, for something that could have been made much more quickly on the stovetop. With the curry, for example, the rice took 20 minutes, and then she took the rice out and it just sat in a bowl while the curry cooked for 40 minutes — and then she said the curry was watery and the veg were cooked unevenly. It would have been much quicker and more efficient to just use a regular blender or processor to make the curry paste and then cook the rice and curry separately/simultaneously on the stove. And the price seems crazy — for $1500, you could buy an Instant Pot, Vitamix, Kitchenaid mixer, and a set of really high-end pans!

• Like 5

So, it’s a blender/processor that cooks things in the vessel — and you can steam things in a special basket that attaches on strategic vent in the lid.

That’s creative and cool, but not really practical for people who don’t blend/process a *lot* — especially if they already have all those tools just not ‘in one’.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I will say I bought the Breville Sous Chef Peel and Dice this summer and that thing is worth every flipping penny. Especially with Thanksgiving coming up!  I don’t usually spend like that on Kitchen things, but dh’s motto is “buy once, cry once” so be talked me into it. But it looks cheap compared to this thing. 

That looks amazing!

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I watched that same video, as well as another one where the person made Thai curry, and it seems really impractical to me. Both dishes took well over an hour, for something that could have been made much more quickly on the stovetop. With the curry, for example, the rice took 20 minutes, and then she took the rice out and it just sat in a bowl while the curry cooked for 40 minutes — and then she said the curry was watery and the veg were cooked unevenly. It would have been much quicker and more efficient to just use a regular blender or processor to make the curry paste and then cook the rice and curry separately/simultaneously on the stove. And the price seems crazy — for $1500, you could buy an Instant Pot, Vitamix, Kitchenaid mixer, and a set of really high-end pans!

This is mainly my train of thought. No way would I spend this kind of money. I am not even sure it would be worth it if I was starting out and had no other appliances or little decent cookware. I love my low-tech cast iron pans....and what happens if your Wifi connection glitches? Half cooked?  ?

But maybe I am missing a big selling point here. If someone has or gets one, chime in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

I will say I bought the Breville Sous Chef Peel and Dice this summer and that thing is worth every flipping penny. Especially with Thanksgiving coming up!  I don’t usually spend like that on Kitchen things, but dh’s motto is “buy once, cry once” so be talked me into it. But it looks cheap compared to this thing. 

I like your dh's motto!!  ?

34 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I hate wi-fi on kitchen gadgets if there isn't a manual back-up. :angry: I have two sous vide circulators- the Joule, which can ONLY be controlled by your phone, and the Anova, which can be controlled manually or through an app. I hate the Joule and only use it when I have to use both. It's a shame too, because the Joule heats up so much faster, but if I want to cook, I want to cook. Not run a software update or sorry about synching issues if my wifi is on the fritz or sit there jacking about with my phone......I wish they recognized there is such a thing as too techy. I hope to avoid any future kitchen gadgets that are wi-fi only.

I also wonder how many people really like having to deal with recipes in an electronic format on things like this and the circulators. Maybe I'm a Luddite on that. At one point I thought I'd like using my iPad for recipes and whatnot while I cooked, but in the end, I've ended up printing everything out. Dealing with a screen timing out or anything else is just too cumbersome. 

Yes, cooking to me, is supposed to be relaxing and creative (to some point). A recipe written on paper or an index card allows for jotting down quick alterations or helpful notes. I am staring at screens all day long for work and even for leisure reading and multiple other purposes. Not sure I want to look at another screen while cooking. I could not deal with software updates, etc while I am trying to get food on the table. I am way too impatient. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

How in the world does it peel things?

My dream has been the newest Cuisineart--the one that added dicing to the mix.  But I have a great one already.  So if I got this Breville it would be exactly what my Cuisineart does not do.  That would be awesome.

48 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

How in the world does it peel things?

My dream has been the newest Cuisineart--the one that added dicing to the mix.  But I have a great one already.  So if I got this Breville it would be exactly what my Cuisineart does not do.  That would be awesome.

I was wondering the same thing - reg. the peeling. Sounded almost like a full-service robot in the ad. I am waiting until these things do laundry and clean the house. Then I may be willing to spend $1500 once so I can cry once and it's over.

36 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

It has a plastic plate that fits over the drive shaft thing- you put that on and then set the potatoes on top of it. They can't be too big- a russet won't fit. Think more small Yukon gold size.....when you put the lid on and turn it on, it sort of violently shakes the potatoes around and peels them. It's loud, but it works, although the potatoes look sort of beat up afterward. They aren't sleek and smooth as with a peeler. But they are peeled! It definitely wastes more potato though than peeling them by hand and then you have to goop out all of the peel from the container, so I've only used it for novelty sake, although that will probably change on Thanksgiving when I have to peel 15 lbs of potatoes......we'll see. 

But the dicing is seriously AMAZING. It comes with one dicing plate that is a 12mm dice. But they have another kit that comes with an 8 and a 16 mm plates. It said originally on the website that you had to buy it by 3/2018 to get that kit for free, but I got mine in July or August and they automatically sent me the additional dicing kit for free without me having to do a single thing except for register for the product warranty. I was shocked! And that thing can shred 2 lbs of cheese in seconds. I have yet to phase it with anything. 

I watched a million youtube videos on food processor comparisons before I made the leap and had already settled on the Breville, but once I saw the Peel and Dice (even though there were very few video demos out for it) I had to jump up for it. I'm glad I did. The dicing makes it completely worth it. 

If it cannot even handle a russet...? what the heck? This made me laugh..."the potatoes look sort of beat up after that." Oh, wait you are talking about the Breville not the Thermothingy, right? That one is supposed to peel as well. Now I want to see it peel taters. ?? 

They were a huge fad down here a couple of years ago.  One person even sold her car to buy one!  The issue most people with bigger families seem to have is it only handles smallish quantities - for about four is ok but anymore and you have to do batches.  Also ouch - the cost!  If you bought it up front instead of a blender food processor hot plate and saucepans etc it might be justifiable but if you already own the stuff?  I can’t imagine spending $2k on a kitchen thing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I watched about half of the video and was thinking the same thing. 

That website is hilarious. "Create magic moments" "More family time" "Be in control" OMG. This kitchen chopper seems to think it can save marriages and throw dinner parties. Advertising is always a bit over the top, but this had me laughing at it from moment one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

They have been extremely popular in Spain for many years now. My brother has had one for several years, and he is still happy with his, although there is one function that apparently no longer works. I forget which, but it's not a vital function because he still uses his Thermomix often. Don't ask me anything else about them, though. That's all I  know ?!