Menu

As we get ready to move into senior year

What do we need to think about?  Cross off our list?  We school year-round, so we should be finished with this current school year at the end of December/January.  I don't know how much of a break we're going to take...or if dd is just going to want to keep going.  I don't even have her last year planned out.  We are going to take the SAT this spring and visit one more college...and then start applying late summer.  She's only interested in two colleges, so we're putting all of our eggs in one basket.  Oh well.  I'm actually not worried about applying/getting into college.  She's smarter than I am.  I'm more interested in making her last year fun/special.

I asked her if she wanted a piece of senior jewelry...necklace?  class ring?  Nope, she doesn't want anything.  Her friends have class rings, but she says it's a waste of money.

I think I am going to order from homeschooldiploma.com. They have tassels, too.  Diploma and tassel?  

Anyone want to tell me what they did for their seniors?  And for graduation?  

1 hour ago, Evanthe said:

What do we need to think about?  Cross off our list? 

You might check out these two threads with ideas of what to do/when for finishing up high school; both of these are on page 1 of the "High School motherlode #1" thread, pinned at the top of the high school board:
High School "Time Table" 
College [prep] checklist: heading into 11th grade, what should we be doing? 

For more ideas of things to keep in mind, you might look at sections of the "motherlode" threads:

"High School motherlode #2"
bottom of page 1 has links to past threads on graduation topics and diplomas

"Going to College Motherlode"
pages 1-2 have links to past threads on the college search and application process
page 5 has links to past threads on preparing to launch students from high school (discussions to have, life skills to have in place, etc)

...We are going to take the SAT this spring and visit one more college...and then start applying late summer.  She's only interested in two colleges, so we're putting all of our eggs in one basket...

As far as college search/prep -- perhaps check out a college fair now? A lot of them are scheduled in October and again in the spring. Even if she already knows where she wants to go, it can be fun to talk to college reps and collect brochures. And she might find another school or two that has a program or opportunity of high interest to her.

College fairs?
Should we visit a college fair?

2 hours ago, Evanthe said:

I think I am going to order from homeschooldiploma.com. They have tassels, too.  Diploma and tassel?  
Anyone want to tell me what they did for their seniors?  And for graduation?  

As far as graduation stuff...

Diplomas: we were very happy with the diploma from Homeschool Diplomas.
Senior Photo: I also took a special senior photo of each, which is framed and hanging up in our hallway "rogue's gallery" (LOL) of photo. I also used the photo on the small handful of graduation announcements that I created and sent to out of town friends/family.
Ceremony/Celebration: DSs participated in our homeschool group's graduation ceremony, which was special for them to "finish" and celebrate with their friends, and special for us to "put the bow on top" of our homeschooling journey by sending each son out with a blessing. So yes, we did do cap/gown/tassel. (We kept the tassels and passed on the gown/cap.) For a celebration, we held an open house for family and friends, and had a trim-fold board set up with photos of the DS's whole schooling adventure on a table with items from his activities.
Here are 2 threads (linked in the High School motherlode #2 pinned thread) with more ideas:
Graduation announcements
High school graduation party questions

2 hours ago, Evanthe said:

I asked her if she wanted a piece of senior jewelry...necklace?  class ring?  Nope, she doesn't want anything.  Her friends have class rings, but she says it's a waste of money...

What about getting a "Groupon" and doing something special with her to commemorate her senior year and homeschooling? You each get the Groupon, and go and do a blown glass ornament or item; or make a fused glass piece of jewelry; or make a piece of pottery. Or go to a local jewelry artist and either commission a special piece of jewelry (one for each of you), or have fun making a bracelet or necklace with the jewelry artist's help/oversight. That way you have the fun of making it yourselves, pick things that are special or fun to each of *you*, and commemorate homeschooling by doing a last fun, special project together.

...I'm more interested in making her last year fun/special.

During all of the high school years, including senior year, we scheduled some fun field trips with our homeschool group, doing things that were only for teens/adults. Also, for the senior year, I made sure to schedule time for any Elective credits or extracurricular activities that were fun and special to DSs. At the end of senior year, we also did a special "senior trip" with each DS -- a family vacation to a location of DS's choice.

Congratulations on a journey well-done, and wishing you and DD all the best as you finish in excellence! BEST of luck in finding what makes the completion of your journey fun, special  and meaningful! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Diplomas: we were very happy with the diploma from Homeschool Diplomas.
Senior Photo: I also took a special senior photo of each, which is framed and hanging up in our hallway "rogue's gallery" (LOL) of photo. I also used the photo on the small handful of graduation announcements that I created and sent to out of town friends/family.
Ceremony/Celebration: DSs participated in our homeschool group's graduation ceremony, which was special for them to "finish" and celebrate with their friends, and special for us to "put the bow on top" of our homeschooling journey by sending each son out with a blessing. So yes, we did do cap/gown/tassel. (We kept the tassels and passed on the gown/cap.) For a celebration, we held an open house for family and friends, and had a trim-fold board set up with photos of the DS's whole schooling adventure on a table with items from his activities.

What about getting a "Groupon" and doing something special with her to commemorate her senior year and homeschooling? You each get the Groupon, and go and do a blown glass ornament or item; or make a fused glass piece of jewelry; or make a piece of pottery. Or go to a local jewelry artist and either commission a special piece of jewelry (one for each of you), or have fun making a bracelet or necklace with the jewelry artist's help/oversight. That way you have the fun of making it yourselves, pick things that are special or fun to each of *you*, and commemorate homeschooling by doing a last fun, special project together.

I forgot about Senior Photos!  And I have been thinking about what we're going to do for her actual graduation...  We don't belong to a homeschool group or anything.  We don't have family within 800 miles, either.  I guess we could go out to dinner??  lol. 

She would LOVE to design a piece of jewelry.  I never thought of that.  Right now, my kitchen island is covered in little resin plant sculptures that she's creating (*sigh*), so she loves that kind of thing.  Anything that's a craft...  Thank-you for the idea!!

• Like 1