Jump to content

Menu

UNC (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill) and OOS


Lanny
 Share

Recommended Posts

UNC was on my Radar, earlier this year, or late last year, for DD, but because the North Carolina legislature requires that 82% of the Freshman class be NC residents, it went off the Radar.   They recruited DD and she submitted her application...

Does anyone here who is OOS  have recent experience with UNC Merit and/or Need based aid?   ×

TIA!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if UNC is need-aware for out of state students?  Three of my friends' kids applied to UNC last year.  One was accepted while the other two were rejected.  The two that were rejected had higher ACT scores but applied for FA.  The one who was accepted had a lower ACT score and slightly lower gpa than the other two kids, but the family was full-pay.  (I know this is obviously a really small sample size, but my friends speculated that the family ability to pay played a role in the outcomes.)

Edited by alewife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DS22 graduated from UNC this past May. This is my take on things from what he's said/what I've seen, but may not be supported by data -- The OOS students who are admitted for the most part tend to come from wealthy families whose kids have either graduated from very high performing "feeder" private schools or top public school systems.That perspective very well may be skewed. When DS was a freshman he stayed in a private-but-affiliated-with-the-university dorm. The reality was that it was only a few hundred dollars a semester more than the regular dorms, but it has the reputation as being where the rich kids stay. So he was making contact with OOS kids who were quite well off/wealthy. But for all I know there were plenty of other less wealthy OOS kids in the regular dorms.

I would think that having lived out of the country would be a good hook for your DD. UNC does seem to value diversity.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to both of you, for your comments!  Much appreciated.  We are on the opposite end of "wealthy" , so DD will need maximum aid, Merit and/or Need based. DD does have some attributes that hopefully will make her a student the universities want to bring in.  In general, my impression is that it is much harder to get a lot of aid from Public Universities, however, I also know there are many exceptions to that, so it depends upon the school and the student.  If UNC values "diversity" DD should fit into 2 or 3 categories for that. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lanny said:

Thanks to both of you, for your comments!  Much appreciated.  We are on the opposite end of "wealthy" , so DD will need maximum aid, Merit and/or Need based. DD does have some attributes that hopefully will make her a student the universities want to bring in.  In general, my impression is that it is much harder to get a lot of aid from Public Universities, however, I also know there are many exceptions to that, so it depends upon the school and the student.  If UNC values "diversity" DD should fit into 2 or 3 categories for that. 

Diversity may work very well for her! We had geographical diversity on our side for last daughter, and I do think it translated into money for some of the competitive scholarships. Your daughter is a strong student, and her other life experiences and what she could bring to the school is icing on the cake. Will be fun to see what opportunities she ends up with.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, GoodGrief1 said:

Diversity may work very well for her! We had geographical diversity on our side for last daughter, and I do think it translated into money for some of the competitive scholarships. Your daughter is a strong student, and her other life experiences and what she could bring to the school is icing on the cake. Will be fun to see what opportunities she ends up with.

 

Thank you.  I hope those things will  help her.  She was asked to apply to the National Honor Society, 7 days ago, and that's due on Monday, and then after that she can work on the other things she needs to submit to UNC, including the CSS Profile, which we haven't  done yet.   The deadline for that is the end of October.  And also a scholarship for the Department of State, which is due. I think she has applied for one of their programs  Many many papers to submit and forms to fill out!

I think the Admissions people will look at her as a student from Texas, although we live in South America, but, hopefully, they will notice that she is an Overseas American and that she is not actually in Texas and that that will make her more interesting to them.

When we went to the school fair in Bogota, the first week of May, I asked the man from Harvard about that and he told  me that she would be considered a Texas student if she applied to Harvard, by Admissions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Lanny said:

 

Thank you.  I hope those things will  help her.  She was asked to apply to the National Honor Society, 7 days ago, and that's due on Monday, and then after that she can work on the other things she needs to submit to UNC, including the CSS Profile, which we haven't  done yet.   The deadline for that is the end of October.  And also a scholarship for the Department of State, which is due. I think she has applied for one of their programs  Many many papers to submit and forms to fill out!

I think the Admissions people will look at her as a student from Texas, although we live in South America, but, hopefully, they will notice that she is an Overseas American and that she is not actually in Texas and that that will make her more interesting to them.

When we went to the school fair in Bogota, the first week of May, I asked the man from Harvard about that and he told  me that she would be considered a Texas student if she applied to Harvard, by Admissions.

 

 It will help if she incorporates the international student angle in one of her essays and makes a point of bringing it up in interviews. I always advise the Alaska students to make sure they talk about the unique aspects of being raised here. Last year, I knew a young man who was applying to some competitive schools, and was dismayed to learn he didn't mention his very interesting mountain racing hobby that was a huge part of his spare time! Sometimes the kids don't realize there are parts of their life that seem commonplace to them that will actually be interesting and unique to others.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2018 at 8:21 AM, Lanny said:

UNC was on my Radar, earlier this year, or late last year, for DD, but because the North Carolina legislature requires that 82% of the Freshman class be NC residents, it went off the Radar.   They recruited DD and she submitted her application...

Does anyone here who is OOS  have recent experience with UNC Merit and/or Need based aid?   ×

TIA!

I don't have time for my friends' experiences right now, but they are 100% admitted as OOS students, but this a sample size of 3. They are all outstanding students with great grades/scores. The costs were very different, and I don't think any received merit scholarships.

I do have a question, because for some reason I think your daughter is planning to major in engineering. UNC does not offer engineering. I have distant relatives that live in North Carolina. I was talking to one this week about college, as we both have seniors, and I asked about UNC and was told they do not have engineering, which is what the NC senior wants. It makes sense, because I remember talk last year of best-friend, who was accepted to UNC and North Carolina State, needing to select a career path, engineering or  healthcare, to decide which acceptance to accept.

UNC does have a joint-biomedical engineering degree with NCSU. My other NC relative's oldest was interested in that program but ended up changing to a straight NCSU engineering major after enrollment. (I also have a college friend whose oldest was admitted with plans for same program, but she also changed her mind to be completely at NCSU as a different major. From what I understood, when I heard about the program from both moms, students take classes at both schools. Both students are sophomores at NCSU now.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, Pawz4me said:

DS22 graduated from UNC this past May. This is my take on things from what he's said/what I've seen, but may not be supported by data -- The OOS students who are admitted for the most part tend to come from wealthy families whose kids have either graduated from very high performing "feeder" private schools or top public school systems.

 

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

 At this time, I do not believe that my DD is headed for Engineering.  That could change, but I doubt that it will.  I appreciate all of your comments!

 I thought i remembered you posting about engineering, but I couldn't remember why. Until this week, I didn't know UNC didn't offer engineering so I wanted to make sure you knew that if engineering was of interest.

My sample of 3 all graduated from a large, OOS, high-performing public school in an affluent area in the last 3 years. All 3 graduated in top 10 (number not percent) in a class of around 600. All had more than 10 AP classes; all took calc 3 as seniors. All were varsity athletes; two were recruited to play in college (not at UNC), but chose not to pursue it. One had a perfect ACT score and was a National Merit Finalist. None of them brought any diversity to UNC. #1 and #3 are the oldest in family. #2 is younger sibling of #1, and they have a younger sibling too; #3 has one younger sibling. One father works as an logistics analyst; the other as a regional mgr for a software company; both moms are part-time nurses. However, their costs to attend UNC were very different.

One is a current college senior, who chose not to attend UNC. Was accepted at a number of schools, including at least one meets need that was ranked higher than UNC. Of the schools in final cut, UNC was the most expensive at around $10 to $12,000. That would have been around the same cost as staying in-state. The other meets need was between 8-10,000. Ended up at a top 100 OOS school for less than $5,000 ; I can't remember the exact number, so it could have been way less. There also were lots of perks with the merit scholarship awarded.

I don't know the details for #2, but is sibling of #1, so it should be about same or less, since the family now would have two kids in college.

The third one is a freshman and was accepted at many schools, but the only ones i know about our state flagship and UNC. When student was deciding between those two, parent told me it was going to be $50,000 more a year to go to UNC than to attend state flagship.

Good luck to your daughter.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ *LC   Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.  Especially the $50K USD per year difference between UNC and your state flagship school. $200K over 4 years is megabucks...

My DD may bring some "diversity" to them. If they are looking for that, it will be a big plus for her. As I told her, "The schools are looking for Tuba Players and possibly you have something they are looking for".     As I wrote  when I started this thread, I had interest in UNC late last year or early this year, but when I read that NC state law requires 82% of the Freshmen to be NC residents, I suggested to DD that she not apply. And then they recruited her again...  

UNC was one of 3 schools to get the CSS Profile that we filled out yesterday. The other 2 schools are private. The College Board system sent an email yesterday that one of the 2 private schools also requires a lot of documentation, which we began providing today. Tax returns, etc.

We suspect that in the end, DD will get a better deal from a Private school, but she is going to apply to at least 3 Public schools also. 

I try not to assume, so we won't really know until the Financial Aid Packages come in, next Spring.

All of  your comments were very interesting to me and I appreciate them.  Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NCSU is most definitely the engineering school in NC.  I know UNC meets need.  I don't think NCSU does, but I am not 100% positive.  FWIW, NCSU engineering admissions is very competitive.  I don't know how holistic NCSU actually is.  If you look at the CDS, geographic diversity is only considered.  (sec c) https://oirp.ncsu.edu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/CDS_2017-2018_v5.pdf  But UNC does not consider geographic diversity at all.  https://oira.unc.edu/files/2018/06/CDS_2017-2018_20180605.pdf  Race is considered for both.

I have a nephew who is one of the TAs there in the math dept. 

FWIW, our best financial offers have all been from publics bc we have pursued merit vs. need-based aid.  Not sure which you are pursuing, but thought I would mention it just in case.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ 8FillThe Heart  Thank you for all of your comments. We are looking for Merit aid and also Need based aid.  When we filled out the CSS Profile this weekend it was obvious to me that they never anticipated that any student going into University might have a parent who is retired, when they wrote the questions...   I believe UNC has the capacity as you wrote, to meet full Financial need. Hoping they will do that for DD if she is in the 18% of OOS students who are accepted for the Freshmen class.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...