Menu

Favorite just-add-water pancake mix (bought, not diy)?

KarenNC

What's your favorite just-add-water pancake mix commercially available in the US that isn't Aunt Jemima? We make ours from scratch at home on the rare occasion we have pancakes, so I'm not up on the various brands. Because it's being served to the church family, I'd rather it were commercial so that anyone with food concerns could easily check the ingredients. I need to feed about 10-20 (along with regular and veg sausage and fruit), so a regular package is fine, doesn't have to be industrial-sized. I have fairly easy access to Walmart, Target, Trader Joes, Harris Teeter, Publix, Aldi, Lidl, Food Lion, and Lowes Foods.

We've started having a monthly pancake supper at church and I've offered to buy the pancake mix in an effort to find an alternative to the Aunt Jemima mix that one of our younger members has been using. I know that they changed the logo back in 1989 so she probably doesn't realize the context, but there are still plenty of us around who grew up with the "Mammy" image and all the negative connotations for that. In a church that is working hard to try to address issues around race and white supremacy, it sends the wrong message, IMO, at absolute best a tone-deaf one. 

Thanks!

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Kodiak Cakes are my kids' favorites, too. Walmart sells it here in the midwest.

Thanks, it looks like they're in the area. Would the buttermilk one be the safest bet for a large group? I personally like whole grain versions of basically everything, but I'm a bit concerned it might not be as popular as one made with regular flour for those who don't do whole grain regularly?

4 minutes ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

I think that Krusteaz would work well.

I made the Kodiak Cakes pancakes for my family. They were eaten, and then my husband said that it tasted like whole wheat bread. So take that for what it's worth. ?

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, particularly with kids. The turn out is pretty low right now, so trying to make it appeal to as broad a base as possible.

It looks like Krusteaz does a gluten-free as well. Anyone tried that one? It'd be good to have that as well. I know one family who does gluten-free did it last month and brought a separate griddle to do those.

Trader Joe's Coconut Pancake mix is our all-time favorite.  We sometimes go all out and add chocolate chips or M&Ms to it, too. But I think it would be expensive to buy for a church pancake breakfast (same with Kodiak...although I think I saw it at Costco?)

Our Sam's has Krustaez which is good IMHO.  I like Bisquick but I think you need to add milk/egg to it?  (I used to buy Jiffy Baking Mix which is like Bisquick but is from my home state.)