Menu

Merging Math Curricula....

Typically, we've gone with Math Mammoth (maybe with a little BA on the side) and called it a day.  

I find myself in a new position of a kid who could probably benefit from the spiral of Saxon combined with MM.  So how would you merge them?  Would you align topics as much as possible...although the Math Mammoth seems at least a grade ahead of the Saxon (Grade 3)?  Would you  use Saxon as a warm-up, and then follow with Math Mammoth for more in-depth?

10 minutes ago, umsami said:

Typically, we've gone with Math Mammoth (maybe with a little BA on the side) and called it a day.  

I find myself in a new position of a kid who could probably benefit from the spiral of Saxon combined with MM.  So how would you merge them?  Would you align topics as much as possible...although the Math Mammoth seems at least a grade ahead of the Saxon (Grade 3)?  Would you  use Saxon as a warm-up, and then follow with Math Mammoth for more in-depth?

We have the physical MM books and only do about half. I think if I found it necessary, I would just have them flip back and complete one or two problems for several pages. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mamamoose said:

We have the physical MM books and only do about half. I think if I found it necessary, I would just have them flip back and complete one or two problems for several pages. 

Yes, we typically do every other problem too.... as it's usually overkill to do them all.

I combined CLE and MM for my oldest. I didn't try to align them. We had 2 math sessions every day. MM with me -skipping thing I knew she had down cold as well as chapters in geometry, time, money, and measurement. CLE was done independently. It was mostly review, but the spiral was a huge help with retention. I think it would work well to use Saxon the same way.

• Like 2

I don't align any of my resources. They are in a pile and DS picks what he wants to do. Every couple months or so I assign routine arithmetic problems for a couple weeks to keep up on basic skills that he doesn't usually choose on his own. For that I typically use MM.

• Like 1

Most of my kids use a combination of two Math programs; be it Math Mammoth or Beast or Teaching Textbooks or Khan or Fred or Miquon, lol. 

Trying to allign is crazy-making though, and since you are doing it for the spiral in the first place a bit counter to your goal. 

Ive only looked at Saxon, never used it.  But I'll mention that most spiral programs seem behind their mastery counterpart at first glance.  So look closely (and at the end) before you decide to bump up a grade.  When mixing a mastery with a spiral it's best for the spiral programs to lag anyways, so that the mastery can be the first introduction to new subjects and the spiral serve as the review.

Doing both every day may seem a bit much to your child unless you cut the lessons in half.  Maybe you could alternate?  Or do one once a week?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I often combined Saxon with MUS. For awhile in elementary grades, my daughter needed the repetition of Saxon, and it filled in the gaps that I felt MUS didn't reinforce enough.  But we liked the hands-on for MUS.  I didn't try to align the 2.  By the time she was in jr. high, she was just doing MUS. She went on to high school (not what I really wanted for her, but it worked out), and her math teacher didn't know she had been homeschooled until teacher conferences. (Sadly, homeschooled kids have a bad reputation in our area for not stepping up to the plate and often need remediation if/when they return to the public school.) 

During conferences, her teacher had nothing but good things to say about her and her math ability. She praised me for doing such an outstanding job, but I was thinking...um...it was the MUS and my daughter...I didn't teach her for the previous few years because she was self directed...!   This was not the first time this teacher had heard about MUS, but I could tell, she just didn't 'get it' yet!    Anyway, combining can work, just don't overload your daughter too much, and make sure she understands the concepts at 80% or above, and have her know those math facts!

• Like 1