Menu

anybody have a convection microwave?

prairiewindmomma

We are in the market for a new microwave.  In comparing features, we've noticed that microwaves with convection cooking are available. Do you have a convection microwave? Do you like the convection feature?

The idea of being able to fully cook a 9x13 dish of food via convection in the microwave is appealing, especially should our oven die. Supposedly one can roast, toast, brown, and bake within the microwave unit. 

The price difference between the convection and non-convection units is not that great.

Thoughts? 

We have 1 in our home that I haven't used much.  This spring we bought and RV for staying in while dh works away from home.  It has an old 1/2 time microwave/convection oven.  The half time wasn't impressive, the convection with some practice I have baked cookies, potatoes, muffins, frozen pizza and cake.  I imagine the one that I have at home works better as far as shortening the time goes, but I have been happy that we have a reasonable way to bake things in the RV.  I am likely to try more at home now.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, and we use it a lot rather than heat the full sized oven. Due to it's small size though it is somewhat limited. I don't bake bread in it for example. The top would cook differently but there are many things roasted potatoes, heating leftover pizza, smaller casseroles or sides that work wonderfully in it. 

My main problem with baking sonething in it is that I invariably need the microwave during that time.

• 2 months later...