Menu

Can I get a wee bit of course description feedback?

Penguin

I'm pretty happy with my course descriptions, but I am fretting over a few points. 

First, I have grouped the courses by subject. I think it would be more informative to describe them in reverse chronological order (i.e., Calculus, Precalculus, Algebra II, Geometry) but it just looks...weird. Course catalogs are always in the other direction.

Second, I have a field that notes the format of the class (home-based, online, dual enrollment, etc.) I don't know if home-based is the best word to use. 

Third, I can't decide how to list texts. For my draft, I did a cut-and-paste from the various providers and wow, the formats for text descriptions are all over the place. 

Which one do you like?! Would you put a period at the end of the entry?

Primary Text: Algebra and Trigonometry: Functions and Applications  by Paul A. Foerster

Primary Text: Algebra and Trigonometry: Functions and Applications by Paul A. Foerster (Pearson Prentice Hall 2006)

Maybe full-on MLA citation would be better. Somehow that just looks overly formal, though.

Aargh! It is the little things that keep me from declaring this document DONE.

Edited by Penguin

I would go in chronological order because later courses build on the previous ones and you can see a development.

I only specify if a course is NOT home based and list the provider. 

I would not bother with MLA citation - title and author suffice. Year and publisher are unnecessary.

Nobody cares whether you put a period at the end. I would only put a period at the end of an actual sentence, not a fragment.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What she said!

Although, I did my texts by author then title. I only did it that way because I also listed a lot of the books she read for her history & lit classes & there were 2-4 books/works by the same author, so I could just do the ----- thing on the next line to indicate the same author. Then, I did my textbooks in the same format so there was consistency. But, I would have done it by textbook title if I had only those. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1